Diltiazem

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2000
      Oliver (age 14-1/2, HCM with congestive heart failure) has been on Diltiazem
      since 11/99, and his echocardiogram in August showed NO disease progression.

      However, one caveat about Diltiazem: Some cats have had adverse reactions
      to it. Oliver started out on 60 mg/day, and it knocked him out so badly we
      thought his time was up. Early last December, he hadn't eaten anything for
      48 hours nor drunk water for 24, nor even MOVED, and we were sure he was
      dying. We made the appointment for euthanasia. The morning of his
      "scheduled execution", I decided not to give him the diltiazem -- after all,
      why put him through this medication he hates, when it's his last day on
      earth?

      When my husband arrived home at 3:30, Ollie bounded out of the cat condo (4'
      above the ground), trotted into the kitchen, then proceeded to devour a jar
      of baby food and a half can of cat food.

      He came THAT CLOSE.

      The diltiazem really upsets his stomach. We cut his dose down to 30mg, and
      that seemed to be better. However, he hates pills, so we have it compounded
      in tuna water. Diltiazem has to be done as a suspension, not a solution, so
      the resulting liquid is very thick. He still hates it. For a while, he was
      puking it up nightly, so we cut it down to 15mg. Now we're settled at 20,
      and he's doing well.

      Just something to keep in mind.

      In other news about Ollie: The vet put him on 50mg/day Antirobe Aquadrops,
      which he says is a very effective antibiotic for dental/mouth problems.
      (Ollie's appetite has been very bad for almost a week.) He also said I
      should feed him Science Diet a/d, which is a high-fat, high protein food
      they often use with cachectic (wasting) patients. After one dose, Ollie
      started eating a bit better. Day 2 he ate a 1/2 can of a/d in the morning,
      and not much the rest of the day. Today, he ate a little tuna fish, and
      nothing else. So I don't know what's going on. His bloodwork is OK --
      thyroid is fine, kidney numbers are unchanged since August, white blood cell
      count (which was high) is even a bit lower than August. So the loss of
      appetite is still a mystery.

      Jill

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Voula Augerinos
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2000
        Dear Jill,
        poor Oliver! To think the end was nigh and there was nothing
        seriously wrong! Seriously though, that is an important message for us all
        to remember. Is Oliver on Tapazole for his thyroid? Has this had any
        adverse effect over time on his kidney values?
        Love, Voula and Pebbles and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.

        ----------

      • Melinda Bruno
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2000
          --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...>
          wrote:

          >Is Oliver on Tapazole for his thyroid? Has this had any
          > adverse effect over time on his kidney values?

          Both Pongo and his littermate Phoebe have been on Tapezole for
          several months, and so far, there have been no adverse effects on
          their kidneys.

          Pongo's also been on CoQ10 for a year, and no adverse effects from
          this, either. It's difficult to tell how large a role CoQ10 has
          played in keeping him from deteriorating, since he's taking so many
          other meds as well.

          I know what you mean about worrying, though. When we got Pongo's
          diagnosis, I kept waiting for him to drop dead in his tracks.

          Has the vet told you how to take a sleeping respiration? You wait
          until the cat is asleep -- although they know how to fool you -- then
          you count how many respirations he takes in 15 seconds, and multiply
          it by 4.

          Most cats breathe about 22-28 times per minute. Our cats have always
          been on the high end of the scale -- I think they're on the high-
          strung end of the scale with everything. <G> The important thing is
          to watch for any increases in breaths for *your* cat.

          --Melinda and Pongo
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3 7:46 AM
            Jill
            what about using something other than diltiazem that won't have such a neg
            impact on his stomach? Is that a possibility?

            Linda and Pum

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 15, 2006
              Can this be given in food, or is it "time released" (can't be
              chewed)? Phil is new on this, and so far, I'm "pilling" her. Also,
              she has very loose stools (for the first time in her 15 years). Is
              this a side effect of this drug?

              TIA,

              Kathleen and Phillip
            • Smitty
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2010
                Anyone that uses Diltiazem want some? Winston is no longer taking it and I'd like it to go to someone who can use it.

                Melissa