Nervously watching Pebbles - Friday 3.00pm Melbourne, Australia.

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2000
      Hi everyone,
      well it has been one hour since I gave Pebbles her first dose of
      propranolol, and I am nervously waiting for side effects! Those of you who
      have used beta blockers and found no problems are probably giggling to
      yourselves about my terror of negative side effects. But I no doubt will
      continue to amuse (or bore) you all with a blow by blow account in the days
      to come!
      You should see me. I am checking Pebbles' heart rate every ten
      minutes!
      Well she has just come into the lounge room and is howling for food no
      doubt...Now she is eating.
      I am thinking "I wonder if she feels strange? I wonder if she is
      feeling okay? Have I done the right thing?"...(Pause in writing to observe
      closely her walking and moving...Yes...I think...she looks...normal.)
      (Pause in writing....I followed her to the bedroom where she got on the
      bed.)
      Now she is on the bed and I just went in and gave her a cuddle and she
      is purring and kneading the crocheted rug on the bed with Ratty her toy
      mouse, and Kritty her cat comforter (a toy cat with a heart beat
      mechanism). I think I am going to need heart drugs soon!
      The vet explained to me yesterday that my reaction and fear are coming
      from my love for Pebbles and also from losing my Beautiful Sachie girl.
      Sachie never had a sick day in her life till she got the cancer on the
      kidneys, so now I find myself thinking if she could get sick so quick and
      die in such a short space of time, then that is possible with Pebbles who
      already has had problems for several years. And I had to laugh when the vet
      said he is obsessed with checking his old dog's lumps countless times a
      day. He said even though he is a vet his emotions when it comes to his own
      dog override his training and knowledge, and he has to tell himself often
      to stop his obsessing. But it does no good he says. He just keeps on
      worrying and being afraid of losing his dog.
      Yesterday at the vets, I was saying how I was thinking of getting
      Pebbles a little feline friend, maybe in a few months, because she seemed
      lonely, and was looking at the other cat in the waiting room with a sad
      look in her eyes. Normally Pebbles
      turns her back to other animals at the vets. Barbara, who is my best
      friend, puts up with my anxieties all the time, and has been driven to
      absolute boredom I am sure by my constant talking about the pros and cons
      of every possibillity. Well she said to me yesterday when we were in the
      waiting room, "And you want another cat?!? You really think you could
      cope!" LOL
      Well dear friends, I am sure you are starting to yawn too. I must go.
      I have to check on Pebbles!
      Love, Voula and Pebbles and my Beautiful Angel Sachie
      .
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2000
        Voula,

        I know just how you feel, having been there myself. But I really suggest
        that you try to control yourself in terms of watching Pebbles "too
        carefully". Not only will you drive yourself crazy, but you will likely
        annoy Pebbles ;-) Even worse, you will watch so carefully that you will
        start to notice "problems" that aren't there.

      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2000
          Dear Jonathan,
          you have made me laugh. Thank you!
          Jonathan wrote :
          > I know just how you feel, having been there myself. But I really suggest
          > that you try to control yourself in terms of watching Pebbles "too
          > carefully".
          Oh Jonathan that is wise advice, but it made me laugh too. The words
          "try to control yourself" brought about a very funny image in my mind.
          Bless you.

          > Not only will you drive yourself crazy,
          I think I am well on the way (smile!)
          > but you will likely
          > annoy Pebbles ;-)
          I will look from a distance I promise ;-)

          > Even worse, you will watch so carefully that you will
          > start to notice "problems" that aren't there.
          Yes I know.

          I am more relaxed tonight. Pebbles is still in the land of the living
          after a quarter of a tablet of propranolol. Eating everything but me, who
          she needs to keep her food supply up! No negative reactions that I can see.
          Though her heart rate does not seem much slower. Now I am expecting
          miracles from a quarter of a tablet!
          Thanks Jonathan. You are always so helpful to people and I appreciate that
          you take the time to write.
          Love, Voula and Pebbles and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
            Dearest Voula,
            You will come to realize that this is the most supportive group of folks you
            will ever come into contact with. NEVER will anyone be bored, insensitive or
            non-responsive. I have been helped thru some of the most difficult moments
            of my life by this group of such kind and also knowledgeable folks. Keep
            your thoughts coming!

            Purrs to you and yours,
            Pum, Max and Linda

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2000
              Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes I have found this is a great
              group!