Re: new member with question

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3 6:28 PM
      Hi Lacy,

      You might want to think about getting a stethescope...you can get a
      reasonably priced one (15.00) or so from many pet stores and online
      med stores...it's a bit tricky to use, with all the purring
      especially...I used to wait till Muffin was asleep and do it then. My
      vet also wanted me to count and record his respiration rate, which was
      a lot easier to do.

      Muffin's rate was between 140 and 160 when he went on the
      Atenelol...afterwards (and it took several weeks of him being on 1/4
      tab per day before we saw a change) it went down to between 120 and
      130 usually, though sometimes it would go into the 1teens...which the
      vet did not want to see happening too much...she liked between 120 and
      130 for him. He was 18 yrs. old and weighed about 11.75#...if that
      helps. What was more impressive was that he was having dropped beats
      (several in a minute) and after the Atenelol, his rhythm got real
      regular and the skipped beats really became more scarce...like maybe
      one in 15 minutes...the vet liked this a lot.

      Good luck!

      Sally

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
      > Thank you very much for writing.. I'm still a little confused about
      > this. I measured her heart rate before, & 2 hours after, giving her
      > the drug & I did not hear any change at all. I should do it again
      > today.. it's a little difficult since when I put my ear on her she
      > tends to purr! I also don't even know if 144 is an acceptable rate
      for
      > her or if I should be worried... well, we are working up to 1/2 tab
      per
      > day & still not there yet; hopefully that will do the trick.
      >
      > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
      >
      > --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
      > > Just a quick reply, but with regards to counting the heart rate at
      > > the time of giving her Atentolol. Drugs go up in concentration in
      > > the blood depending on their biologic half life. I am not sure
      what
      > > the half life is for this drug but most of them are on the order
      of
      > > a few hours. So when you give the cat the drug initially, the
      > > amount in the blood goes up until reaching some equilibrium. From
      > > there is slowly goes down in concentration. Measuring the heart
      > > rate from hour to hour, you will probably not be able to detect
      much
      > > difference aside from what normally would be there. If you were
      > > do the same and measure the heart rate say tonight and then
      measure
      > > it in 2 days, you certainly would notice a difference. The key
      is,
      > > you would not want to do that due to the side effects.
    • targa66
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4 7:45 AM
        thanks, Lacy!
        I've actually been there before, but only for emergencies - for
        regular check-ups, I've brought my cats to a few different places. I
        agree with you that it is an amazing, state-of-the-art facility (but
        I also agree that it's very big and slow, which is why I've always
        gone elsewhere for "regular" visits). I think I will bring Pacino
        there for a 2nd opinion - I have found that the vets there are
        wonderful and caring (even if the other staff is not always the
        warmest).

        I think you are probably doing the best for Abby - when it's
        something serious, my understanding is that AMC is really the best
        bet. Best wishes and hugs for Abby, and thanks for the quick
        response!
        -Shelly
        --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
        > Hi Shelly,
        >
        > Since August, I have been taking Abby to the Animal Medical Center
        at
        > 62nd and York Avenue in Manhattan. Our cardiologist is Betsy
        Bond. I
        > had never taken my girls to the AMC but it was recommended highly
        when
        > Abby got VAS cancer and I've since learned it's a "state of the
        art"
        > teaching facility. I'm hoping I'm doing the best I can for Abby.
        It's
        > also a 24-hour facility. It can be a little frustrating as it's a
        > large hospital so you sometimes have to wait a long time in the
        waiting
        > room & make sure to keep track of things yourself -- but as I said,
        > they are supposedly a top-notch facility so if you're looking for a
        > second opinion it might be a good bet.
        >
        > take care,
        > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
        >

        > --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
        > > hi Lacy (and Abby & Melissa) -
        > >
        > > welcome to the group ... I'm sorry I don't have answers to your
        > > questions (but it looks like others have been helpful). If you
        don't
        > > mind my asking - do you have a cardiologist that you have been
        happy
        > > with in the NYC metro area? I need a 2nd opinion on my Pacino
        (low
        > > grade heart murmur; no evidence of HCM found yet).
        > >
        > > I appreciate any recommendations, and I truly hope Abby feels
        better
        > > soon. (I can sympathize with your situation - I lost my Targa-
        cat to
        > > a saddle thrombis in August, and am now very anxious about
        Pacino.)
        > > My thoughts are with you, Abby and Melissa.
        > >
        > > -Shelly

      • mereminne
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5 5:11 PM
          Thank you Sally for recommending a stethoscope, I am going to get one
          soon. I've listened to Abby's heart a couple more times (using a
          second hand too) and it seems to come out regularly to 144 even though
          I'm increasing her Atenolol. We are not quite up to 1/2 tab yet -- but
          I am already confused, because the vet thought the Atenolol from the
          night before had worn off by the time she saw Abby around 12 noon,
          that's why she recommended increasing the dosage from 1/4 to 1/2. But
          that night Abby's HR was the same before & 2 hours after the Atenolol &
          it so far seems to stay 144 before & after even though I'm increasing
          the dose. I guess if it doesn't change by the time we get up to 1/2
          it's time for another call to the cardiologist... if not before.

          Thanks again -
          Lacy, Abby & Melissa
        • cessna7391
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5 5:33 PM
            Pharmacology of Atenolol. It is not very soluable in water but
            onlyb slihtly so. Which means that is slowly absorbs through your
            cats digestive tract into its blood stream. It does not all go in
            at once. From there, the time it takes for half of it to be
            digested is 6 to 8 hours with the drug reaching peak plasma
            concentration in 2 to 4 hours. The effect of the drug on the heart
            is usually on the order of 24 hours.
            The take home message is that if you gave your cat a pill last
            night, by noon the next day, the effect of it has not worn off.
            --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
            > Thank you Sally for recommending a stethoscope, I am going to get
            one
            > soon. I've listened to Abby's heart a couple more times (using a
            > second hand too) and it seems to come out regularly to 144 even
            though
            > I'm increasing her Atenolol. We are not quite up to 1/2 tab yet --
            but
            > I am already confused, because the vet thought the Atenolol from
            the
            > night before had worn off by the time she saw Abby around 12 noon,
            > that's why she recommended increasing the dosage from 1/4 to 1/2.
            But
            > that night Abby's HR was the same before & 2 hours after the
            Atenolol &
            > it so far seems to stay 144 before & after even though I'm
            increasing
            > the dose. I guess if it doesn't change by the time we get up to
            1/2
            > it's time for another call to the cardiologist... if not before.
            >
            > Thanks again -
            > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
          • mereminne
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5 10:16 PM
              Hello cessna,

              Thank you, that helps explain things some. It also causes me to worry
              a bit about a problem I had thought I was avoiding. I give Abby
              psyllium husks for her digestion & she really needs the help -- I used
              to give them to her in her morning & evening meals, because without
              them she gets terrible constipation/hairballs etc.. When she started
              Atenolol I heard that psyllium "binds" Atenolol (in the digestive
              tract, I believe) & keeps it from being effective, and an herbalist
              told me to make sure I gave the Atenolol 6 or more hours after the
              psyllium. So, I've only been giving the psyllium at breakfast ever
              since then, and I give the Atenolol around 12 or 1 at night. I hope I
              have not been blocking the effects of the Atenolol somehow anyway, if
              it takes that long to be digested.

              The thing is, it doesn't seem to be slowing down her HR so far. But I
              hope it will, we're doing about 1/3 tab now & I'll try to have it up to
              1/2 by early next week.