Re: new member with question

  • mereminne
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
      Thank you very much for writing.. I'm still a little confused about
      this. I measured her heart rate before, & 2 hours after, giving her
      the drug & I did not hear any change at all. I should do it again
      today.. it's a little difficult since when I put my ear on her she
      tends to purr! I also don't even know if 144 is an acceptable rate for
      her or if I should be worried... well, we are working up to 1/2 tab per
      day & still not there yet; hopefully that will do the trick.

      Lacy, Abby & Melissa

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
      > Just a quick reply, but with regards to counting the heart rate at
      > the time of giving her Atentolol. Drugs go up in concentration in
      > the blood depending on their biologic half life. I am not sure what
      > the half life is for this drug but most of them are on the order of
      > a few hours. So when you give the cat the drug initially, the
      > amount in the blood goes up until reaching some equilibrium. From
      > there is slowly goes down in concentration. Measuring the heart
      > rate from hour to hour, you will probably not be able to detect much
      > difference aside from what normally would be there. If you were to
      > do the same and measure the heart rate say tonight and then measure
      > it in 2 days, you certainly would notice a difference. The key is,
      > you would not want to do that due to the side effects.
    • Sally J.Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2002
        Hi Lacy,

        You might want to think about getting a stethescope...you can get a
        reasonably priced one (15.00) or so from many pet stores and online
        med stores...it's a bit tricky to use, with all the purring
        especially...I used to wait till Muffin was asleep and do it then. My
        vet also wanted me to count and record his respiration rate, which was
        a lot easier to do.

        Muffin's rate was between 140 and 160 when he went on the
        Atenelol...afterwards (and it took several weeks of him being on 1/4
        tab per day before we saw a change) it went down to between 120 and
        130 usually, though sometimes it would go into the 1teens...which the
        vet did not want to see happening too much...she liked between 120 and
        130 for him. He was 18 yrs. old and weighed about 11.75#...if that
        helps. What was more impressive was that he was having dropped beats
        (several in a minute) and after the Atenelol, his rhythm got real
        regular and the skipped beats really became more scarce...like maybe
        one in 15 minutes...the vet liked this a lot.

        Good luck!

        Sally

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
        > Thank you very much for writing.. I'm still a little confused about
        > this. I measured her heart rate before, & 2 hours after, giving her
        > the drug & I did not hear any change at all. I should do it again
        > today.. it's a little difficult since when I put my ear on her she
        > tends to purr! I also don't even know if 144 is an acceptable rate
        for
        > her or if I should be worried... well, we are working up to 1/2 tab
        per
        > day & still not there yet; hopefully that will do the trick.
        >
        > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
        > > Just a quick reply, but with regards to counting the heart rate at
        > > the time of giving her Atentolol. Drugs go up in concentration in
        > > the blood depending on their biologic half life. I am not sure
        what
        > > the half life is for this drug but most of them are on the order
        of
        > > a few hours. So when you give the cat the drug initially, the
        > > amount in the blood goes up until reaching some equilibrium. From
        > > there is slowly goes down in concentration. Measuring the heart
        > > rate from hour to hour, you will probably not be able to detect
        much
        > > difference aside from what normally would be there. If you were
        > > do the same and measure the heart rate say tonight and then
        measure
        > > it in 2 days, you certainly would notice a difference. The key
        is,
        > > you would not want to do that due to the side effects.
      • targa66
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2002
          thanks, Lacy!
          I've actually been there before, but only for emergencies - for
          regular check-ups, I've brought my cats to a few different places. I
          agree with you that it is an amazing, state-of-the-art facility (but
          I also agree that it's very big and slow, which is why I've always
          gone elsewhere for "regular" visits). I think I will bring Pacino
          there for a 2nd opinion - I have found that the vets there are
          wonderful and caring (even if the other staff is not always the
          warmest).

          I think you are probably doing the best for Abby - when it's
          something serious, my understanding is that AMC is really the best
          bet. Best wishes and hugs for Abby, and thanks for the quick
          response!
          -Shelly
          --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
          > Hi Shelly,
          >
          > Since August, I have been taking Abby to the Animal Medical Center
          at
          > 62nd and York Avenue in Manhattan. Our cardiologist is Betsy
          Bond. I
          > had never taken my girls to the AMC but it was recommended highly
          when
          > Abby got VAS cancer and I've since learned it's a "state of the
          art"
          > teaching facility. I'm hoping I'm doing the best I can for Abby.
          It's
          > also a 24-hour facility. It can be a little frustrating as it's a
          > large hospital so you sometimes have to wait a long time in the
          waiting
          > room & make sure to keep track of things yourself -- but as I said,
          > they are supposedly a top-notch facility so if you're looking for a
          > second opinion it might be a good bet.
          >
          > take care,
          > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@y..., "targa66" <sgorove@g...> wrote:
          > > hi Lacy (and Abby & Melissa) -
          > >
          > > welcome to the group ... I'm sorry I don't have answers to your
          > > questions (but it looks like others have been helpful). If you
          don't
          > > mind my asking - do you have a cardiologist that you have been
          happy
          > > with in the NYC metro area? I need a 2nd opinion on my Pacino
          (low
          > > grade heart murmur; no evidence of HCM found yet).
          > >
          > > I appreciate any recommendations, and I truly hope Abby feels
          better
          > > soon. (I can sympathize with your situation - I lost my Targa-
          cat to
          > > a saddle thrombis in August, and am now very anxious about
          Pacino.)
          > > My thoughts are with you, Abby and Melissa.
          > >
          > > -Shelly

        • mereminne
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
            Thank you Sally for recommending a stethoscope, I am going to get one
            soon. I've listened to Abby's heart a couple more times (using a
            second hand too) and it seems to come out regularly to 144 even though
            I'm increasing her Atenolol. We are not quite up to 1/2 tab yet -- but
            I am already confused, because the vet thought the Atenolol from the
            night before had worn off by the time she saw Abby around 12 noon,
            that's why she recommended increasing the dosage from 1/4 to 1/2. But
            that night Abby's HR was the same before & 2 hours after the Atenolol &
            it so far seems to stay 144 before & after even though I'm increasing
            the dose. I guess if it doesn't change by the time we get up to 1/2
            it's time for another call to the cardiologist... if not before.

            Thanks again -
            Lacy, Abby & Melissa
          • cessna7391
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
              Pharmacology of Atenolol. It is not very soluable in water but
              onlyb slihtly so. Which means that is slowly absorbs through your
              cats digestive tract into its blood stream. It does not all go in
              at once. From there, the time it takes for half of it to be
              digested is 6 to 8 hours with the drug reaching peak plasma
              concentration in 2 to 4 hours. The effect of the drug on the heart
              is usually on the order of 24 hours.
              The take home message is that if you gave your cat a pill last
              night, by noon the next day, the effect of it has not worn off.
              --- In feline-heart@y..., "mereminne" <mereminne@m...> wrote:
              > Thank you Sally for recommending a stethoscope, I am going to get
              one
              > soon. I've listened to Abby's heart a couple more times (using a
              > second hand too) and it seems to come out regularly to 144 even
              though
              > I'm increasing her Atenolol. We are not quite up to 1/2 tab yet --
              but
              > I am already confused, because the vet thought the Atenolol from
              the
              > night before had worn off by the time she saw Abby around 12 noon,
              > that's why she recommended increasing the dosage from 1/4 to 1/2.
              But
              > that night Abby's HR was the same before & 2 hours after the
              Atenolol &
              > it so far seems to stay 144 before & after even though I'm
              increasing
              > the dose. I guess if it doesn't change by the time we get up to
              1/2
              > it's time for another call to the cardiologist... if not before.
              >
              > Thanks again -
              > Lacy, Abby & Melissa
            • mereminne
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2002
                Hello cessna,

                Thank you, that helps explain things some. It also causes me to worry
                a bit about a problem I had thought I was avoiding. I give Abby
                psyllium husks for her digestion & she really needs the help -- I used
                to give them to her in her morning & evening meals, because without
                them she gets terrible constipation/hairballs etc.. When she started
                Atenolol I heard that psyllium "binds" Atenolol (in the digestive
                tract, I believe) & keeps it from being effective, and an herbalist
                told me to make sure I gave the Atenolol 6 or more hours after the
                psyllium. So, I've only been giving the psyllium at breakfast ever
                since then, and I give the Atenolol around 12 or 1 at night. I hope I
                have not been blocking the effects of the Atenolol somehow anyway, if
                it takes that long to be digested.

                The thing is, it doesn't seem to be slowing down her HR so far. But I
                hope it will, we're doing about 1/3 tab now & I'll try to have it up to
                1/2 by early next week.