Re: Question for Everyone

  • woodrowl84
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      It's REALLY important that she eat. I will be able to give you more
      info later, but for now, can you try finger feeding her? Right now
      it's not important what she eats --- that can wait for later. Try
      baby food (1st stage, I think they call it, with no veggies or
      pasta) lamb or turkey. Or try tuna or salmon -- you can liquefy it
      in a blender and put a dab on your finger & then scrape it into her
      mouth.

      Not eating is one of those problems that spirals -- the less she
      eats, the worse she feels, which means the less she eats, and so on.

      You might also ask your vet if s/he has a can of a/d; most cats
      really like that.

      Depending on what other meds your cat is getting, there are
      sometimes meds that can help jumpstart appetite.

      Have you seen a feline cardiologist yet? Is there one near you? I
      would get in touch with yours if you have one; and if you don't,
      you might want to see if there is one in your area.

      My cat has gotten a bit more picky (he never was before) since his
      heart disease became apparent, so you might want to try buying a
      bunch of different cans of cat foods and seeing if any of those
      works, also.

      Sometimes warming foods up helps them smell better and makes the cat
      want to eat them more.

      I have a whole list of suggestions from another group I'm on, but
      will have to wait until I get home tonight, unfortuntately.

      If she isn't drinking, I would call your regular vet right away.
      They can show you how to give subcutaneous fluids -- it's not hard
      at all, and will really help out.

      Hope this helps,
      Nancy

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
      > My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
      > years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
      > feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
      > become more stable but has been dignosed with feline
      cardiomyopthay,
      > though how advanced it is I have no idea.
      > Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
      > days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
      > drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around
      all
      > day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
      > audible.
      > I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make
      her
      > as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
      > suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food
      into
      > her.
      > Chris
      > Reno, NV
    • Kim Rose
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        Have you tried feeding Hills A/D (canned)? When my
        cats are sick and won't eat, they usually gobble up
        the A/D. I got it from my vet since I don't think you
        can buy it off the shelf at Petco or Petsmart. Another
        thing that worked to at least get some nutrition in
        them is Nutrical. It's the consistency like Hairball
        Medicine. It's loaded with calories. I found it at
        Petco or Petsmart.

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com