Re: [FH] Diltiazem vs Atenolol question

  • Amy Barrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
      My cat was started on diltiazen when first diagnosed
      with Primary HCM. That drug apparently was supposed to
      slow the heart rate, which it did. However, after a
      few months on the diltiazem, Cecil still had a rather
      pronounced "gallop" rythm. He was switched to Atenolol
      to stabilize the rhythm, which it did. So, I think the
      difference is that diltiazem slows down the rate and
      Atenolol stabilizes it. Hope that makes sense.
      Amy & Cecil
      --- dottieannwitter <dottieannwitter@...> wrote:
      > In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm
      > kitties on this list
      > are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven
      > years ago, my
      > Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike
      > is not congested
      > and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?
      >
      > I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new"
      > drug usage as
      > opposed to "older thinking."
      >
      > Dottie

      =====