Re: [FH] Question for Everyone

  • diane
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      Chris,

      You absolutely have to get her to eat! Cats that don't eat will
      develop serious liver problems. Syringe feed her, anything you need
      to do.

      Baby food works good for some but make sure it does *not* contain onion powder.

      You also need to see a cardiologist asap to determine how bad her
      heart condition is. Did they give you any meds in the hospital? Did
      she have a buildup of fluid?

      My net use is severely restricted at work so I will probably not be
      able to chat with you till later this afternoon but I'm sure other
      list member will chime in.

      Please see your vet today!

      Diane

      >My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
      >years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
      >feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
      >become more stable but has been dignosed with feline cardiomyopthay,
      >though how advanced it is I have no idea.
      >Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
      >days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
      >drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around all
      >day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
      >audible.
      >I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make her
      >as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
      >suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food into
      >her.
      >Chris
      >Reno, NV
    • woodrowl84
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        It's REALLY important that she eat. I will be able to give you more
        info later, but for now, can you try finger feeding her? Right now
        it's not important what she eats --- that can wait for later. Try
        baby food (1st stage, I think they call it, with no veggies or
        pasta) lamb or turkey. Or try tuna or salmon -- you can liquefy it
        in a blender and put a dab on your finger & then scrape it into her
        mouth.

        Not eating is one of those problems that spirals -- the less she
        eats, the worse she feels, which means the less she eats, and so on.

        You might also ask your vet if s/he has a can of a/d; most cats
        really like that.

        Depending on what other meds your cat is getting, there are
        sometimes meds that can help jumpstart appetite.

        Have you seen a feline cardiologist yet? Is there one near you? I
        would get in touch with yours if you have one; and if you don't,
        you might want to see if there is one in your area.

        My cat has gotten a bit more picky (he never was before) since his
        heart disease became apparent, so you might want to try buying a
        bunch of different cans of cat foods and seeing if any of those
        works, also.

        Sometimes warming foods up helps them smell better and makes the cat
        want to eat them more.

        I have a whole list of suggestions from another group I'm on, but
        will have to wait until I get home tonight, unfortuntately.

        If she isn't drinking, I would call your regular vet right away.
        They can show you how to give subcutaneous fluids -- it's not hard
        at all, and will really help out.

        Hope this helps,
        Nancy

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
        > My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
        > years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
        > feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
        > become more stable but has been dignosed with feline
        cardiomyopthay,
        > though how advanced it is I have no idea.
        > Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
        > days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
        > drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around
        all
        > day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
        > audible.
        > I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make
        her
        > as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
        > suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food
        into
        > her.
        > Chris
        > Reno, NV
      • Kim Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          Have you tried feeding Hills A/D (canned)? When my
          cats are sick and won't eat, they usually gobble up
          the A/D. I got it from my vet since I don't think you
          can buy it off the shelf at Petco or Petsmart. Another
          thing that worked to at least get some nutrition in
          them is Nutrical. It's the consistency like Hairball
          Medicine. It's loaded with calories. I found it at
          Petco or Petsmart.

          =====

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com