Question for Everyone

  • cessna7391
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
      My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
      years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
      feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
      become more stable but has been dignosed with feline cardiomyopthay,
      though how advanced it is I have no idea.
      Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
      days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
      drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around all
      day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
      audible.
      I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make her
      as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
      suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food into
      her.
      Chris
      Reno, NV
    • diane
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        Chris,

        You absolutely have to get her to eat! Cats that don't eat will
        develop serious liver problems. Syringe feed her, anything you need
        to do.

        Baby food works good for some but make sure it does *not* contain onion powder.

        You also need to see a cardiologist asap to determine how bad her
        heart condition is. Did they give you any meds in the hospital? Did
        she have a buildup of fluid?

        My net use is severely restricted at work so I will probably not be
        able to chat with you till later this afternoon but I'm sure other
        list member will chime in.

        Please see your vet today!

        Diane

        >My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
        >years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
        >feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
        >become more stable but has been dignosed with feline cardiomyopthay,
        >though how advanced it is I have no idea.
        >Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
        >days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
        >drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around all
        >day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
        >audible.
        >I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make her
        >as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
        >suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food into
        >her.
        >Chris
        >Reno, NV
      • woodrowl84
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          It's REALLY important that she eat. I will be able to give you more
          info later, but for now, can you try finger feeding her? Right now
          it's not important what she eats --- that can wait for later. Try
          baby food (1st stage, I think they call it, with no veggies or
          pasta) lamb or turkey. Or try tuna or salmon -- you can liquefy it
          in a blender and put a dab on your finger & then scrape it into her
          mouth.

          Not eating is one of those problems that spirals -- the less she
          eats, the worse she feels, which means the less she eats, and so on.

          You might also ask your vet if s/he has a can of a/d; most cats
          really like that.

          Depending on what other meds your cat is getting, there are
          sometimes meds that can help jumpstart appetite.

          Have you seen a feline cardiologist yet? Is there one near you? I
          would get in touch with yours if you have one; and if you don't,
          you might want to see if there is one in your area.

          My cat has gotten a bit more picky (he never was before) since his
          heart disease became apparent, so you might want to try buying a
          bunch of different cans of cat foods and seeing if any of those
          works, also.

          Sometimes warming foods up helps them smell better and makes the cat
          want to eat them more.

          I have a whole list of suggestions from another group I'm on, but
          will have to wait until I get home tonight, unfortuntately.

          If she isn't drinking, I would call your regular vet right away.
          They can show you how to give subcutaneous fluids -- it's not hard
          at all, and will really help out.

          Hope this helps,
          Nancy

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "cessna7391" <cessna7391@y...> wrote:
          > My cat Bastet has been my best friend ever since I got her three
          > years ago. Thanksgiving Day she collapsed and I sped her to the
          > feline emergency room. Over a course of a couple of days she has
          > become more stable but has been dignosed with feline
          cardiomyopthay,
          > though how advanced it is I have no idea.
          > Here is my problem: I have not been able to get her to eat for 5
          > days now and she is slowly waisting away. I can barely get her to
          > drink as it is. She has very little energy and just lays around
          all
          > day. She no longer "talks" to me and when she purrs, it is barely
          > audible.
          > I want to know what everyone out there thinks about how to make
          her
          > as confortable as possible. Specifically, I would like to hear
          > suggestions on how to get her to drink more and how to get food
          into
          > her.
          > Chris
          > Reno, NV
        • Kim Rose
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
            Have you tried feeding Hills A/D (canned)? When my
            cats are sick and won't eat, they usually gobble up
            the A/D. I got it from my vet since I don't think you
            can buy it off the shelf at Petco or Petsmart. Another
            thing that worked to at least get some nutrition in
            them is Nutrical. It's the consistency like Hairball
            Medicine. It's loaded with calories. I found it at
            Petco or Petsmart.

            =====

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com