Re: Diltiazem vs Atenolol question

  • Steph
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2 6:33 PM
      Dottie,
      Gus was initially put on Diltiazem by a regular vet, then we brought
      him to a cardiologist for a second opinion who switched him to
      Atenolol. Gus was diagnosed w/ HOCM. The cardiologist said that
      that both drugs help to delay the hypertrophic process, but Atenolol
      has the least likelihood of causing vasodilation, has fewer adverse
      effects and better HR control. Gus is not congested, but his heart
      disease is severe. I hope this helps.
      -Steph

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "dottieannwitter" <dottieannwitter@y...>
      wrote:
      > In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm kitties on this
      list
      > are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven years ago, my
      > Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike is not
      congested
      > and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?
      >
      > I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new" drug usage as
      > opposed to "older thinking."
      >
      > Dottie
    • Amy Barrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3 7:42 AM
        My cat was started on diltiazen when first diagnosed
        with Primary HCM. That drug apparently was supposed to
        slow the heart rate, which it did. However, after a
        few months on the diltiazem, Cecil still had a rather
        pronounced "gallop" rythm. He was switched to Atenolol
        to stabilize the rhythm, which it did. So, I think the
        difference is that diltiazem slows down the rate and
        Atenolol stabilizes it. Hope that makes sense.
        Amy & Cecil
        --- dottieannwitter <dottieannwitter@...> wrote:
        > In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm
        > kitties on this list
        > are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven
        > years ago, my
        > Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike
        > is not congested
        > and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?
        >
        > I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new"
        > drug usage as
        > opposed to "older thinking."
        >
        > Dottie

        =====