RE: [FH] labored breathing

  • Cyber-Paws Designs
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi Debra,

      I am sorry to hear that Tigger is having trouble breathing. I have to agree
      with the other posts, that you should speak to your vet about a chest and/or
      abdomen tap.

      My Wolfy occasionally had labored breathing, and the vet always tapped his
      chest, and relief for Wolfy was immediate. The cardiologist was able to
      give Wolfy a valium to calm him enough to undergo this procedure. After a
      tap, Wolfy usually went at least 3 months before needing another.

      During this past summer, Wolfy's tummy became very bloated (it had always
      been his chest prior to this), and they removed a LITER of fluid from him.
      I was shocked. The tap definitely gives the cat comfort and I believe buys
      them good, comfortable time. I don't think it is a hard or very expensive
      procedure, and I am sure it will help Tigger breathe comfortably again.

      You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

      Carrie and AngelWolfy

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
        Hi Debra--Try to hang in there. Both me and Muffin's mom have
        recently "been there."

        Samson too ate a BIG meal 20 minutes or so before he passed, he
        ALWAYS ate, no matter where he was, right after surgery, etc.

        The problem with CHF is the possibility of "sudden death" Labored
        breathing is a possible sign that cardiac output (CO) is falling.
        The body is trying to compensate for this in many ways. Chiefly, the
        fast or labored breathing is trying to get enough oxygen to the
        tissues and organs. I agree with Sally, It IS considered in most
        cases to be a sign of impending danger.

        I was able to minimize Samson's labored breathing with Hawthorn,
        which has vasodialative properties. It opens up the blood vessels
        which may be constricting in their attempt to isolate enough blood
        for the heart's needs, and thus allowed more oxygen to get to the
        rest of his organs and tissues. But that was a last ditch effort. I
        wouldn't recommend Hawthorn for your kitty w/o a vet's (holistic or
        conventional)supervision. I believe the enalapril is an ACE
        inhibitor, it's job is to block the hormone signals that are causing
        the body to retain sodium and constrict blood vessels. So logically,
        the Enalpril should be preventing the constriction.

        At a point, no drug can overcome a failing heart. The body simply
        can't find it's point of balance any longer.

        I'm sorry to be so clinical, I just wanted to give you an idea of
        what may be behind that labored breathing so you can make the best
        decision. If you wish to prolong his life, a trip to the vet is
        probably your best bet. If it is caused by fluid in the lungs, a tap
        may very well alleviate his discomfort.

        I'll say a little prayer for you and your fur baby. Please try to be
        strong, ok?