Diltiazem vs Atenolol question

  • dottieannwitter
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm kitties on this list
      are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven years ago, my
      Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike is not congested
      and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?

      I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new" drug usage as
      opposed to "older thinking."

      Dottie
    • Steph
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        Dottie,
        Gus was initially put on Diltiazem by a regular vet, then we brought
        him to a cardiologist for a second opinion who switched him to
        Atenolol. Gus was diagnosed w/ HOCM. The cardiologist said that
        that both drugs help to delay the hypertrophic process, but Atenolol
        has the least likelihood of causing vasodilation, has fewer adverse
        effects and better HR control. Gus is not congested, but his heart
        disease is severe. I hope this helps.
        -Steph

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "dottieannwitter" <dottieannwitter@y...>
        wrote:
        > In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm kitties on this
        list
        > are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven years ago, my
        > Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike is not
        congested
        > and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?
        >
        > I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new" drug usage as
        > opposed to "older thinking."
        >
        > Dottie
      • Amy Barrett
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
          My cat was started on diltiazen when first diagnosed
          with Primary HCM. That drug apparently was supposed to
          slow the heart rate, which it did. However, after a
          few months on the diltiazem, Cecil still had a rather
          pronounced "gallop" rythm. He was switched to Atenolol
          to stabilize the rhythm, which it did. So, I think the
          difference is that diltiazem slows down the rate and
          Atenolol stabilizes it. Hope that makes sense.
          Amy & Cecil
          --- dottieannwitter <dottieannwitter@...> wrote:
          > In reading the posts, it appears that more hcm
          > kitties on this list
          > are on atenolol than diltiazem (cardizem). Seven
          > years ago, my
          > Blackie was hcm (congested) and on atenolol. Spike
          > is not congested
          > and on diltiazem. Is that the difference?
          >
          > I'm asking because I'm wondering if one is "new"
          > drug usage as
          > opposed to "older thinking."
          >
          > Dottie

          =====