Re: labored breathing

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi Debra,

      I know how hard this is!

      I would agree with the others who have suggested a vet visit
      ASAP...if it is fluid in the abdominal cavity which is making his
      breathing difficult, your vet should do a tap. This could bring
      immediate relief...IF that is what is causing the problem...he might
      also have something else going on in his abdomen, but if it is fluids,
      they should be able to tap it.

      Fluid in the lungs can also be dealt with sometimes as can fluid in
      the chest wall squeezing in on the lungs. An ultrasound will show
      this. Oxygen therapy can also help or, if he is suffering from an
      infection that needs to be dealt with than can be addressed too. And
      if he needs fluids, you vet can determine that as well...

      How are his toes? Tongue?

      If they are warm and pink he may be safe for a trip tomorrow...if
      they are purply or cold...then, if you are going to do something you
      need to go NOW. Otherwise, if you are prepared for a home passing
      then you may want to just make him comfortable as you can and wait...a
      hot water bottle which is warm but not hot will make him more
      comfortable if his pads are cool/cold...but you should call a vet ASAP
      to arrange either a home visit PTS or advice for hospice care...if his
      pads are cool or his gums/tongue bluish then he is heart is shutting
      down and if you are ready for this then be there for him with all your
      loving attention, but be sure you have all the support and information
      from your vet that you can...

      I don't want to sound alarmist, but laboured breathing for
      extended periods is a significant event and you need to know what is
      the cause if you are going to treat it, or, if you want to let him go
      at home (and this is a personal choice) then you still need to consult
      your vet about his condition and decide on the best course of action.
      Also, the advice about eating = will to live, though often true does
      not alway indicate how much longer the kit has...my Muffin had 2
      breakfasts and then passed away inside of an hour and a half....he
      just loved his breakfast and wasn't going anywhere until he had some!
      :-)

      Best wishes to you both...You will both be in my thoughts and
      prayers...

      Sally and Angel Muffin

      --- In feline-heart@y..., yarringt@a... wrote:
      > Tigger's breathing is very labored and he is tired. He has
      restrictive
      > cardiomyopathy
      > and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 2 Mondays ago. He
      was
      > already
      > on atenolol - 1/4 every other day - and enalapril - every other day.
      We
      > increased
      > his enalapril to 1/4 every day. We've also added lasix. The fluids
      > appear to be in
      > his stomach, and they don't appear to have gone away with lasix (I
      was
      > told 1 to 2
      > lasix a day - I started with one, worked up to two, and saw no
      > difference). Since
      > that Monday his breathing has become progressively more labored and
      he has
      > become progressively more tired.
      >
      > I know we are on borrowed time. If no more can be done, I will keep
      him
      > here
      > until he becomes uncomfortable and let him go. But is there any
      more
      > that can be
      > done to help him breathe more easily? Is it possible that his
      breathing
      > is labored
      > because he is dehydrated? (I know that's the opposite of what we
      > normally think).
      >
      > I have accepted the fact that I will lose him shortly. I thought I
      > would lose him on
      > Thanksgiving day. But he is still fighting. He ate half a can of
      nutro
      > max food, along
      > with some kibble and some bonita flakes today, and he is currently
      > sleeping on my
      > lap after a cuddle session. I feel I owe it to him to give him all
      the
      > quality time
      > possible. But I don't want to spend his last days stressing him by
      > running him to the
      > vet's every few days if there really isn't more to be done.
      >
      > Keep us in your thoughts. He's my love.
      > -Debra & Tigger
    • Cyber-Paws Designs
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi Debra,

        I am sorry to hear that Tigger is having trouble breathing. I have to agree
        with the other posts, that you should speak to your vet about a chest and/or
        abdomen tap.

        My Wolfy occasionally had labored breathing, and the vet always tapped his
        chest, and relief for Wolfy was immediate. The cardiologist was able to
        give Wolfy a valium to calm him enough to undergo this procedure. After a
        tap, Wolfy usually went at least 3 months before needing another.

        During this past summer, Wolfy's tummy became very bloated (it had always
        been his chest prior to this), and they removed a LITER of fluid from him.
        I was shocked. The tap definitely gives the cat comfort and I believe buys
        them good, comfortable time. I don't think it is a hard or very expensive
        procedure, and I am sure it will help Tigger breathe comfortably again.

        You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

        Hugs,
        Carrie and AngelWolfy

      • aphro64 <Firmenich@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
          Hi Debra--Try to hang in there. Both me and Muffin's mom have
          recently "been there."

          Samson too ate a BIG meal 20 minutes or so before he passed, he
          ALWAYS ate, no matter where he was, right after surgery, etc.

          The problem with CHF is the possibility of "sudden death" Labored
          breathing is a possible sign that cardiac output (CO) is falling.
          The body is trying to compensate for this in many ways. Chiefly, the
          fast or labored breathing is trying to get enough oxygen to the
          tissues and organs. I agree with Sally, It IS considered in most
          cases to be a sign of impending danger.

          I was able to minimize Samson's labored breathing with Hawthorn,
          which has vasodialative properties. It opens up the blood vessels
          which may be constricting in their attempt to isolate enough blood
          for the heart's needs, and thus allowed more oxygen to get to the
          rest of his organs and tissues. But that was a last ditch effort. I
          wouldn't recommend Hawthorn for your kitty w/o a vet's (holistic or
          conventional)supervision. I believe the enalapril is an ACE
          inhibitor, it's job is to block the hormone signals that are causing
          the body to retain sodium and constrict blood vessels. So logically,
          the Enalpril should be preventing the constriction.

          At a point, no drug can overcome a failing heart. The body simply
          can't find it's point of balance any longer.

          I'm sorry to be so clinical, I just wanted to give you an idea of
          what may be behind that labored breathing so you can make the best
          decision. If you wish to prolong his life, a trip to the vet is
          probably your best bet. If it is caused by fluid in the lungs, a tap
          may very well alleviate his discomfort.

          I'll say a little prayer for you and your fur baby. Please try to be
          strong, ok?