Re: [FH] labored breathing

  • Lynnie Henderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi, Debra. If it were me, I'd take tigger to the emergency vet now. If you
      don't have one where you live, take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. You
      definitely can do things to make him more comfy and perhaps even take care
      of the problem for now. Freckles had labored breathing several times. A
      couple of times she had pneumonia. They put her on and IV and under oxygen
      for a day and gave her antibiotics. It cleared up every time. I gave her
      Lasix for maintenance, but she had to get the gunk out of her lungs first.

      Some list members have had their kits' lungs drained, so even though I don't
      know about that personally, I know it has worked for other kits.

      Another time Freckles seemed to be particularly listless and had trouble
      getting a deep breath and it turned out that yes, she needed fluids. It
      perked her up right away.

      If he's eating, chances are he's not ready to go.

      That's just my experience, of course. Go with your gut - you'll make the
      right choice.
      Lynnie
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        Oh Debra, Tigger and you are both in my prayers. I went through the same
        thing with my Pretty Girl, and now my own kitty (Pretty Girl was my Mom's
        technically) has heart problems. I know how very hard it is. My prayers are
        with you.
        Jan

        http://joekopecky.homestead.com
        http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          Hi Debra- My cat was diagnosed with CHF in June and for the first 6 weeks we
          were in there weekly tapping his fluids. We also couldn't put him on lasix
          with his kidney levels being high but once his kidney levels lowered we put
          him on lasix and still had to get him tapped frequently. It came to a point
          that the vet was not happy to be tapping him so frequently than boom he
          regulated on his own with increasing some meds and removing others. It was
          a juggle to find the right medication mix. So definately take him to the vet
          and consider the tapping it literally shows immediate results. Keep us
          posted and good luck.

          /\_/\
          (>'o'<)
          _(,,)(,,)___)________
          Heather "Rose"
          "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
          - Anne of Green Gables
          Forever Kindred Spirits

        • Sally J.Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi Debra,

            I know how hard this is!

            I would agree with the others who have suggested a vet visit
            ASAP...if it is fluid in the abdominal cavity which is making his
            breathing difficult, your vet should do a tap. This could bring
            immediate relief...IF that is what is causing the problem...he might
            also have something else going on in his abdomen, but if it is fluids,
            they should be able to tap it.

            Fluid in the lungs can also be dealt with sometimes as can fluid in
            the chest wall squeezing in on the lungs. An ultrasound will show
            this. Oxygen therapy can also help or, if he is suffering from an
            infection that needs to be dealt with than can be addressed too. And
            if he needs fluids, you vet can determine that as well...

            How are his toes? Tongue?

            If they are warm and pink he may be safe for a trip tomorrow...if
            they are purply or cold...then, if you are going to do something you
            need to go NOW. Otherwise, if you are prepared for a home passing
            then you may want to just make him comfortable as you can and wait...a
            hot water bottle which is warm but not hot will make him more
            comfortable if his pads are cool/cold...but you should call a vet ASAP
            to arrange either a home visit PTS or advice for hospice care...if his
            pads are cool or his gums/tongue bluish then he is heart is shutting
            down and if you are ready for this then be there for him with all your
            loving attention, but be sure you have all the support and information
            from your vet that you can...

            I don't want to sound alarmist, but laboured breathing for
            extended periods is a significant event and you need to know what is
            the cause if you are going to treat it, or, if you want to let him go
            at home (and this is a personal choice) then you still need to consult
            your vet about his condition and decide on the best course of action.
            Also, the advice about eating = will to live, though often true does
            not alway indicate how much longer the kit has...my Muffin had 2
            breakfasts and then passed away inside of an hour and a half....he
            just loved his breakfast and wasn't going anywhere until he had some!
            :-)

            Best wishes to you both...You will both be in my thoughts and
            prayers...

            Sally and Angel Muffin

          • Cyber-Paws Designs
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
              Hi Debra,

              I am sorry to hear that Tigger is having trouble breathing. I have to agree
              with the other posts, that you should speak to your vet about a chest and/or
              abdomen tap.

              My Wolfy occasionally had labored breathing, and the vet always tapped his
              chest, and relief for Wolfy was immediate. The cardiologist was able to
              give Wolfy a valium to calm him enough to undergo this procedure. After a
              tap, Wolfy usually went at least 3 months before needing another.

              During this past summer, Wolfy's tummy became very bloated (it had always
              been his chest prior to this), and they removed a LITER of fluid from him.
              I was shocked. The tap definitely gives the cat comfort and I believe buys
              them good, comfortable time. I don't think it is a hard or very expensive
              procedure, and I am sure it will help Tigger breathe comfortably again.

              You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

              Hugs,
              Carrie and AngelWolfy

            • aphro64 <Firmenich@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
                Hi Debra--Try to hang in there. Both me and Muffin's mom have
                recently "been there."

                Samson too ate a BIG meal 20 minutes or so before he passed, he
                ALWAYS ate, no matter where he was, right after surgery, etc.

                The problem with CHF is the possibility of "sudden death" Labored
                breathing is a possible sign that cardiac output (CO) is falling.
                The body is trying to compensate for this in many ways. Chiefly, the
                fast or labored breathing is trying to get enough oxygen to the
                tissues and organs. I agree with Sally, It IS considered in most
                cases to be a sign of impending danger.

                I was able to minimize Samson's labored breathing with Hawthorn,
                which has vasodialative properties. It opens up the blood vessels
                which may be constricting in their attempt to isolate enough blood
                for the heart's needs, and thus allowed more oxygen to get to the
                rest of his organs and tissues. But that was a last ditch effort. I
                wouldn't recommend Hawthorn for your kitty w/o a vet's (holistic or
                conventional)supervision. I believe the enalapril is an ACE
                inhibitor, it's job is to block the hormone signals that are causing
                the body to retain sodium and constrict blood vessels. So logically,
                the Enalpril should be preventing the constriction.

                At a point, no drug can overcome a failing heart. The body simply
                can't find it's point of balance any longer.

                I'm sorry to be so clinical, I just wanted to give you an idea of
                what may be behind that labored breathing so you can make the best
                decision. If you wish to prolong his life, a trip to the vet is
                probably your best bet. If it is caused by fluid in the lungs, a tap
                may very well alleviate his discomfort.

                I'll say a little prayer for you and your fur baby. Please try to be
                strong, ok?