labored breathing

  • yarringt@agora-net.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Tigger's breathing is very labored and he is tired. He has restrictive
      cardiomyopathy
      and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 2 Mondays ago. He was
      already
      on atenolol - 1/4 every other day - and enalapril - every other day. We
      increased
      his enalapril to 1/4 every day. We've also added lasix. The fluids
      appear to be in
      his stomach, and they don't appear to have gone away with lasix (I was
      told 1 to 2
      lasix a day - I started with one, worked up to two, and saw no
      difference). Since
      that Monday his breathing has become progressively more labored and he has
      become progressively more tired.

      I know we are on borrowed time. If no more can be done, I will keep him
      here
      until he becomes uncomfortable and let him go. But is there any more
      that can be
      done to help him breathe more easily? Is it possible that his breathing
      is labored
      because he is dehydrated? (I know that's the opposite of what we
      normally think).

      I have accepted the fact that I will lose him shortly. I thought I
      would lose him on
      Thanksgiving day. But he is still fighting. He ate half a can of nutro
      max food, along
      with some kibble and some bonita flakes today, and he is currently
      sleeping on my
      lap after a cuddle session. I feel I owe it to him to give him all the
      quality time
      possible. But I don't want to spend his last days stressing him by
      running him to the
      vet's every few days if there really isn't more to be done.

      Keep us in your thoughts. He's my love.
      -Debra & Tigger
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi, Debra. If it were me, I'd take tigger to the emergency vet now. If you
        don't have one where you live, take him to the vet first thing tomorrow. You
        definitely can do things to make him more comfy and perhaps even take care
        of the problem for now. Freckles had labored breathing several times. A
        couple of times she had pneumonia. They put her on and IV and under oxygen
        for a day and gave her antibiotics. It cleared up every time. I gave her
        Lasix for maintenance, but she had to get the gunk out of her lungs first.

        Some list members have had their kits' lungs drained, so even though I don't
        know about that personally, I know it has worked for other kits.

        Another time Freckles seemed to be particularly listless and had trouble
        getting a deep breath and it turned out that yes, she needed fluids. It
        perked her up right away.

        If he's eating, chances are he's not ready to go.

        That's just my experience, of course. Go with your gut - you'll make the
        right choice.
        Lynnie
      • Jan
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          Oh Debra, Tigger and you are both in my prayers. I went through the same
          thing with my Pretty Girl, and now my own kitty (Pretty Girl was my Mom's
          technically) has heart problems. I know how very hard it is. My prayers are
          with you.
          Jan

          http://joekopecky.homestead.com
          http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html

        • reallyrosiebooks@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            Hi Debra- My cat was diagnosed with CHF in June and for the first 6 weeks we
            were in there weekly tapping his fluids. We also couldn't put him on lasix
            with his kidney levels being high but once his kidney levels lowered we put
            him on lasix and still had to get him tapped frequently. It came to a point
            that the vet was not happy to be tapping him so frequently than boom he
            regulated on his own with increasing some meds and removing others. It was
            a juggle to find the right medication mix. So definately take him to the vet
            and consider the tapping it literally shows immediate results. Keep us
            posted and good luck.

            /\_/\
            (>'o'<)
            _(,,)(,,)___)________
            Heather "Rose"
            "Tomorrow is a fresh day, with no mistakes in it."
            - Anne of Green Gables
            Forever Kindred Spirits

          • Sally J.Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              Hi Debra,

              I know how hard this is!

              I would agree with the others who have suggested a vet visit
              ASAP...if it is fluid in the abdominal cavity which is making his
              breathing difficult, your vet should do a tap. This could bring
              immediate relief...IF that is what is causing the problem...he might
              also have something else going on in his abdomen, but if it is fluids,
              they should be able to tap it.

              Fluid in the lungs can also be dealt with sometimes as can fluid in
              the chest wall squeezing in on the lungs. An ultrasound will show
              this. Oxygen therapy can also help or, if he is suffering from an
              infection that needs to be dealt with than can be addressed too. And
              if he needs fluids, you vet can determine that as well...

              How are his toes? Tongue?

              If they are warm and pink he may be safe for a trip tomorrow...if
              they are purply or cold...then, if you are going to do something you
              need to go NOW. Otherwise, if you are prepared for a home passing
              then you may want to just make him comfortable as you can and wait...a
              hot water bottle which is warm but not hot will make him more
              comfortable if his pads are cool/cold...but you should call a vet ASAP
              to arrange either a home visit PTS or advice for hospice care...if his
              pads are cool or his gums/tongue bluish then he is heart is shutting
              down and if you are ready for this then be there for him with all your
              loving attention, but be sure you have all the support and information
              from your vet that you can...

              I don't want to sound alarmist, but laboured breathing for
              extended periods is a significant event and you need to know what is
              the cause if you are going to treat it, or, if you want to let him go
              at home (and this is a personal choice) then you still need to consult
              your vet about his condition and decide on the best course of action.
              Also, the advice about eating = will to live, though often true does
              not alway indicate how much longer the kit has...my Muffin had 2
              breakfasts and then passed away inside of an hour and a half....he
              just loved his breakfast and wasn't going anywhere until he had some!
              :-)

              Best wishes to you both...You will both be in my thoughts and
              prayers...

              Sally and Angel Muffin

            • Cyber-Paws Designs
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
                Hi Debra,

                I am sorry to hear that Tigger is having trouble breathing. I have to agree
                with the other posts, that you should speak to your vet about a chest and/or
                abdomen tap.

                My Wolfy occasionally had labored breathing, and the vet always tapped his
                chest, and relief for Wolfy was immediate. The cardiologist was able to
                give Wolfy a valium to calm him enough to undergo this procedure. After a
                tap, Wolfy usually went at least 3 months before needing another.

                During this past summer, Wolfy's tummy became very bloated (it had always
                been his chest prior to this), and they removed a LITER of fluid from him.
                I was shocked. The tap definitely gives the cat comfort and I believe buys
                them good, comfortable time. I don't think it is a hard or very expensive
                procedure, and I am sure it will help Tigger breathe comfortably again.

                You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

                Hugs,
                Carrie and AngelWolfy

              • aphro64 <Firmenich@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2002
                  Hi Debra--Try to hang in there. Both me and Muffin's mom have
                  recently "been there."

                  Samson too ate a BIG meal 20 minutes or so before he passed, he
                  ALWAYS ate, no matter where he was, right after surgery, etc.

                  The problem with CHF is the possibility of "sudden death" Labored
                  breathing is a possible sign that cardiac output (CO) is falling.
                  The body is trying to compensate for this in many ways. Chiefly, the
                  fast or labored breathing is trying to get enough oxygen to the
                  tissues and organs. I agree with Sally, It IS considered in most
                  cases to be a sign of impending danger.

                  I was able to minimize Samson's labored breathing with Hawthorn,
                  which has vasodialative properties. It opens up the blood vessels
                  which may be constricting in their attempt to isolate enough blood
                  for the heart's needs, and thus allowed more oxygen to get to the
                  rest of his organs and tissues. But that was a last ditch effort. I
                  wouldn't recommend Hawthorn for your kitty w/o a vet's (holistic or
                  conventional)supervision. I believe the enalapril is an ACE
                  inhibitor, it's job is to block the hormone signals that are causing
                  the body to retain sodium and constrict blood vessels. So logically,
                  the Enalpril should be preventing the constriction.

                  At a point, no drug can overcome a failing heart. The body simply
                  can't find it's point of balance any longer.

                  I'm sorry to be so clinical, I just wanted to give you an idea of
                  what may be behind that labored breathing so you can make the best
                  decision. If you wish to prolong his life, a trip to the vet is
                  probably your best bet. If it is caused by fluid in the lungs, a tap
                  may very well alleviate his discomfort.

                  I'll say a little prayer for you and your fur baby. Please try to be
                  strong, ok?