Lasix

  • lipmancats
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hi All,
      Widget had his second ultrasound Wednesday and the news was not
      good. The report describes his condition as much worse than four
      months ago (The original dx was severe, with a poor prognosis).
      Sigh. :-(
      The ultrasound showed some plueral effusion and Widget started on
      Lasix Wednesday evening. He is taking half a pill once a day and my
      vet is hoping to be able to cut him back to a quarter pill (she is
      aiming for the lowest effective dosage). His breathing is slower and
      not as deep, so I think it is helping already. He woke me up at 4
      a.m. today to purr at me and butt his head into my hand. :-)
      What side effects should I be on the lookout for with Lasix? What
      dosage do your kitties on this med. get? I know that this drug can
      be hard on kidneys. (We're also with the feline CRF group with Elmo,
      another member of our household).
      Thanks for you help and advice,
      Barbara and the furry crew
    • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama)
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 29, 2003
        Hi
        Does anyone have any experience with Lasix? I'm wondering what kinds
        of side effects you may have noticed.

        Also, if anyone has a CRF & HCM kitty, I'd really appreciated hearing
        how you balance Lasix doses with fluids.

        Thanks,
        Dana
      • diane
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 29, 2003
          Hi Dana,

          I haven't dealt with it too much but I do know it's possible.
          Hopefully some of west-coast members will be able to answer before
          bedtime tonight.

          Tell us more about your kitty and what types of issues she has.

          Diane
        • Dana Rulf (merlynsmama)
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 29, 2003
            > Tell us more about your kitty and what types of issues she has.

            Merlyn (15 1/2) was diagnosed (by a cardiologist) with HCM back in
            January. He was put on Atenelol, and that did the trick right away.
            Heartrate has been super ever since (I check with stethescope every
            few days). He was diagnosed with CRF at about the same time. Wasn't
            a problem until last week when he was in for bloodwork check, and we
            decided to do a chest x-ray to see if his heart enlargement was
            stopped/reversed. It was, but fluid was evident around his heart and
            lungs. Not a lot, our vet said, but it was there. He consulted with
            our cardiologist, and it was decided to put him on as small a dose of
            Lasix as possible, but still do it's job. We have cut Merlyn's sub-q
            fluids from 125ml every other day to 50ml every day. So now we are
            walking the fine line between keeping his kidneys working without
            overtaxing his heart (and vice versa).

            Since he began taking Lasix (Saturday), he has been drinking more, but
            his coat is definitely drying out. Saturday night, he seemed very
            perky -- this just after a dose of Lasix. He was very, very lethargic
            on Sunday, though, and Monday he just seemed very down. Today he was
            better, so I'm wondering if his system needed time to adjust to the
            Lasix? He's still dehydrated, but I know after his recheck on Friday
            (new chest x-ray to be sure the Lasix is doing its job) we can
            re-evaluate fluids and such.

            I'd really like to hear what others have experienced with Lasix, and
            especially if they have an HCM/CRF kitty -- how do you manage
            fluids/Lasix dosing.

            thanks so much for your feedback --
            Dana
          • Debra Yarrington
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 29, 2003
              Hey Dana, Tigger's getting fluids and lasix. We've been doing this
              since October now.
              I don't know what to tell you. We have good weeks and bad weeks (right
              now we're
              due for a good week - he still isn't completely up to snuff since having
              a stomach bug
              a week ago). He's never been as energetic as he was before the
              congestive heart failure -
              I don't know whether he feels tired because of all the heart meds he's
              on, or because
              his heart isn't working properly - but overall I think he's a pretty
              happy kitty.

              Since he's been on lasix, I haven't noticed he's drinking *more*, but
              he's always been
              a drinker, and has drank (drunk?) well since his crf diagnosis. My vet
              had told me that
              I would know the lasix took effect when I noticed him drinking more, but
              in Tigger's
              case that wasn't so. Tigger gets 50ml fluids every other day, and I try
              to add pedialyte
              to his water, but I worry about it going bad, so mostly he's just
              drinking plain water.
              He gets 1/2 12.5 mg lasix 2x a day. I've gone up when he coughs, and
              right now I've
              increased fluids to 2 days on - one day off until he seems a bit perkier
              (and I'm watching
              his breathing like a hawk).

              It's hard to say specifically, but I'd say that it took Tigger about 2
              weeks to adjust to
              his heart meds, including the lasix. I don't know whether that was a
              direct effect of
              the lasix or one of the other heart meds or just the overall change in
              routine.

              Hang in there Dana. Welcome to the wonderful world of juggling 2
              diseases with
              polar opposite treatments :-}
              -Debra & Tigger
              & Putney, Simon, Spenser, and Cali

              Dana Rulf (merlynsmama) wrote:

              > > Tell us more about your kitty and what types of issues she has.
              >

              > Merlyn (15 1/2) was diagnosed (by a cardiologist) with HCM back in
              > January. He was put on Atenelol, and that did the trick right away.
              > Heartrate has been super ever since (I check with stethescope every
              > few days). He was diagnosed with CRF at about the same time. Wasn't
              > a problem until last week when he was in for bloodwork check, and we
              > decided to do a chest x-ray to see if his heart enlargement was
              > stopped/reversed. It was, but fluid was evident around his heart and
              > lungs. Not a lot, our vet said, but it was there. He consulted with
              > our cardiologist, and it was decided to put him on as small a dose of
              > Lasix as possible, but still do it's job. We have cut Merlyn's sub-q
              > fluids from 125ml every other day to 50ml every day. So now we are
              > walking the fine line between keeping his kidneys working without
              > overtaxing his heart (and vice versa).
              >
              > Since he began taking Lasix (Saturday), he has been drinking more, but
              > his coat is definitely drying out. Saturday night, he seemed very
              > perky -- this just after a dose of Lasix. He was very, very lethargic
              > on Sunday, though, and Monday he just seemed very down. Today he was
              > better, so I'm wondering if his system needed time to adjust to the
              > Lasix? He's still dehydrated, but I know after his recheck on Friday
              > (new chest x-ray to be sure the Lasix is doing its job) we can
              > re-evaluate fluids and such.
              >
              > I'd really like to hear what others have experienced with Lasix, and
              > especially if they have an HCM/CRF kitty -- how do you manage
              > fluids/Lasix dosing.
              >
              > thanks so much for your feedback --
              > Dana

            • Peg French
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 30, 2003
                Dear Dana, I know Lasix can wipe people out, so it makes sense it would do the same for a little cat. What are the subq. injections for? I wonder if they do kitty dialysis. ? People are doing it at home now. Are the injections a form of dialysis? I hope Merllyn is feeling better. Peg and Torrie

                "Dana Rulf (merlynsmama)" <drulf@...> wrote:> Tell us more about your kitty and what types of issues she has.

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Linda Fischbach
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 19, 2004
                  Mittens (also mild CRF) has been on Lasix since Jan 9th when 150ccs of fluid
                  was drawn off his chest. He gets 1/4 of a 20mg tablet twice a day. I
                  weigh him frequently, usually after he poops; I just weighed him (after a
                  really big poop) and he has lost almost a pound since after the tap.

                  But he's a big cat of 21 pounds. He is not on fluids and does not seem
                  dehydrated; I syringe about 60-70 ml of diluted baby food a day in addition
                  to his liquidy meals. He's acting fine.

                  Of course the cardiologist office is close until tomorrow morning.

                  Should I be concerned about the weight loss, or is a loss of 4-5% of weight
                  normal after a cat starts Lasix? Would it make sense to skip the lasix
                  tonight?

                  Linda

                  Bill & Linda Fischbach (@home)
                  King George, Virginia
                • Susan Aufieri
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                    Has anybody had a cat that got diarehea (sp?) from Lasix? Abby has had
                    an awful bad patch with it, her poor lil'kitty behind was red and raw.
                    I don't want to think what was going on inside where I can't see. I'm
                    trying to sort out if it was the antibiotics or the Lasix.

                    Susan
                  • Deena
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan Aufieri
                      <susanaufieri@v...> wrote: Has anybody had a cat that got diarehea
                      (sp?) from Lasix? I'm trying to sort out if it was the antibiotics
                      or the Lasix.

                      My guess would be the antibiotics or something she is eating.
                      If my cat, this would be my approach (just my opinion):

                      1. I'd first get some probiotics and/or digestive enzymes in her.
                      The probiotics will replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics
                      are killing off. The digestive enzymes will help her process her
                      food better. Is she still on the Purina prescription food? If so,
                      she might need enzymes because she is not getting any from her
                      present diet (they are killed at ~115 degrees F.)

                      2. Do a mini-fast (maybe 12 hours) to see if that calms her
                      digestive track down.

                      3. After the mini-fast, feed her something like pure meat baby food
                      for a few meals. (single food, high quality protein)

                      4. If the problem continues, you can try slippery elm or 100%
                      canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). Pumpkin is high fiber and should
                      absorb the extra fluid in the bowel and firm up the stool. Again,
                      it depends on the cat. Pumkin works like a dream for my dog, but
                      not my cat, since he doesn't process veggies well.

                      What is she eating?
                      When Mr Pepe gets the runs, I can usually tie it to eating some
                      vegetable matter. I'll never forget the mess caused by giving him 1
                      teeny drop of flax seed oil. Long haired cat with the runs...not a
                      pretty picture. Generally, a mini-fast takes care of the problem.

                      Good Luck,

                      Deena in Newburyport, MA
                      Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, dx'd 11/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM, restrictive,
                      advanced CHF, severe spontaneous contrast.
                      Enalapril, Lasix, Atenolol, Fragmin, Dandelion, Nattokinase, CoQ10,
                      Gland & Organ Wafers, Fish Oil, Lyssin, Coral Calcium, Rescue
                      Remedy. Raw fed.
                    • Susan Aufieri
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                        A quick search of drugstore.com for furosemide (lasix) reveals this:

                        "Possible side effects
                        SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during treatment, include dizziness or
                        lightheadedness
                        when sitting up or standing, or nausea. If they continue or are
                        bothersome, check with
                        your doctor. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you
                        experience diarrhea,
                        muscle pain or cramps, vomiting, loss of appetite, restlessness, dry
                        mouth, unusual thirst,
                        unusual tiredness or weakness, or rapid or irregular heartbeat. If
                        you notice other effects
                        not listed above, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist."

                        That is the one constant since Feb. 9th, the lasix and the diarrhea.
                        I'm *sure* the
                        antibiotics aren't helping (there have been 3). She's also been
                        grumbling when walking.
                        Muscle pain or cramps? Who knows for sure. Cat ain't talking :-)

                        I tried feeding her the Sci Di i/d kibble, she'd have NO part of
                        that. Flat refusal. So, I called
                        around and found a local vet that sells it in the can. Great, I'll
                        take 2 to see if she'll eat it.
                        Good, likes it. Added in the acidophillus yesterday, and a
                        prescription for stopping the
                        diarrhea. Put a little bit of Gerber's veal w/gravy in it, and nuke
                        it for 10-15 seconds. So
                        far, just one watery plop since yesterday morning. And, she's more
                        interested in eating,
                        even licking it clean, all 2 tablespoons of it (that's about all
                        she'll eat in one sitting these
                        days). So, for now, I'll get a few more tins of it for her to eat.

                        BTW, she is refusing to eat the Purina EN (for wimpy tummies, she's
                        had pancreatitis),
                        which she formerly snorkeled her way thru 2 pouches a day faster than
                        you can say
                        "done."

                        I'm just happy she's eating and not winding up with crud butt two or
                        three times a day. It's
                        a good things it's Winter here and the windows are closed. I've had
                        to wash her up so
                        many times, and it's always the same "you're killing me!!!!!!!"
                        scream until I'm done. I don't even want to think what it's like with a long haired kitty!!
                        <g>

                        Susan

                        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Deena" <mottola@c...> wrote:
                        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan Aufieri
                        > <susanaufieri@v...> wrote: Has anybody had a cat that got diarehea
                        > (sp?) from Lasix? I'm trying to sort out if it was the antibiotics
                        > or the Lasix.
                        > >
                        > My guess would be the antibiotics or something she is eating.
                        > If my cat, this would be my approach (just my opinion):
                        >
                        > 1. I'd first get some probiotics and/or digestive enzymes in her.
                        > The probiotics will replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics
                        > are killing off. The digestive enzymes will help her process her
                        > food better. Is she still on the Purina prescription food? If so,
                        > she might need enzymes because she is not getting any from her
                        > present diet (they are killed at ~115 degrees F.)
                        >
                        > 2. Do a mini-fast (maybe 12 hours) to see if that calms her
                        > digestive track down.
                        >
                        > 3. After the mini-fast, feed her something like pure meat baby
                        food
                        > for a few meals. (single food, high quality protein)
                        >
                        > 4. If the problem continues, you can try slippery elm or 100%
                        > canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). Pumpkin is high fiber and should
                        > absorb the extra fluid in the bowel and firm up the stool. Again,
                        > it depends on the cat. Pumkin works like a dream for my dog, but
                        > not my cat, since he doesn't process veggies well.
                        >
                        > What is she eating?
                        > When Mr Pepe gets the runs, I can usually tie it to eating some
                        > vegetable matter. I'll never forget the mess caused by giving him
                        1
                        > teeny drop of flax seed oil. Long haired cat with the runs...not a
                        > pretty picture. Generally, a mini-fast takes care of the problem.
                        >
                        > Good Luck,
                        >
                        > Deena in Newburyport, MA
                        > Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, dx'd 11/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM, restrictive,
                        > advanced CHF, severe spontaneous contrast.
                        > Enalapril, Lasix, Atenolol, Fragmin, Dandelion, Nattokinase, CoQ10,
                        > Gland & Organ Wafers, Fish Oil, Lyssin, Coral Calcium, Rescue
                        > Remedy. Raw fed.
                      • Sarah McCoy
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                          Hi Susan,
                          I would take her in for blood tests, if I were you. Some of the
                          symptoms sound very much like what happened to Piglet when he first
                          went into heart failure and was put on Lasix - he went into acute
                          renal failure, and that can kill. Please have your kitty's bloodwork
                          done, just to be sure...

                          kind regards,
                          Sarah McCoy & Piglet the buddha belly boy (who got his oxygen
                          concentrator today!)
                        • Susan Aufieri
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 10, 2004
                            Abby had a full blood panel done on 2/9 of this year. She'd also had
                            other panels done, so we were able to compare this test against those.

                            I'm not sure which of the drugs it was. I do, however, find it very
                            interesting that she's not had Lasix since Monday morning and hasn't
                            had the trots since Monday night. Of course, she's not visited the box
                            either, except to piddle. She's eating *very* small amounts 3xdaily,
                            >1/4 of a tin of I/D with a teaspoon or so of some single food,
                            meat-type baby food. I am mixing in the acidophillus as well.

                            If I don't see litter box activity by tommorrow morning, she's getting
                            an appointment asap w/a new vet for 2nd opinion time.

                            Susan

                            On Mar 10, 2004, at 7:25 AM, feline-heart@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Message: 6
                            > Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:05:22 -0000
                            > From: "Sarah McCoy" <sarahjmccoy_sj@...>
                            > Subject: Re: Lasix
                            >
                            > Hi Susan,
                            > I would take her in for blood tests, if I were you. Some of the
                            > symptoms sound very much like what happened to Piglet when he first
                            > went into heart failure and was put on Lasix - he went into acute
                            > renal failure, and that can kill. Please have your kitty's bloodwork
                            > done, just to be sure...
                          • Eda Ellis
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 13, 2004
                              Ami has been taking Lasix for the past 3 days-12.5mg (1 tablet) twice daily
                              since being diagnosed with CHF. Does Lasix cause lethargy or inappetance? An
                              upset tummy? I've had to assist feed him today. His dosage gets cut back to
                              6.25mg twice daily beginning tomorrow.

                              Thanks, Eda and Ami
                            • brinkett
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 14, 2004
                                > Ami has been taking Lasix for the past 3 days-12.5mg (1 tablet)
                                twice daily
                                > since being diagnosed with CHF. Does Lasix cause lethargy or
                                inappetance? An
                                > upset tummy?

                                Yes, it can. Any medication can upset the system.

                                >I've had to assist feed him today. His dosage gets cut back to
                                > 6.25mg twice daily beginning tomorrow.

                                That's good. The reason the dosage is scaled back is so that the
                                smallest amount necesssary is used. The kidneys will be less
                                stressed and hopefully Ami will feel better on the lower dose.

                                Sarah.
                              • Eda Ellis
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 15, 2004
                                  Thanks for your response Sarah.

                                  Eda and Ami
                                • Lynda Doty
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 7, 2012
                                    I want to ask my cat's cardiologist for some lasix to keep on hand in case she goes into CHF. She has had that happen twice so far. It is an hour to his clinic, and I have concerns about weekends and holidays--
                                    My question to this group is, is lasix a dangerous drug?
                                    What would happen if I gave it to her and she was not actually in heart failure?
                                    Thanks so much.
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 7, 2012
                                      Hi Lynda

                                      Lasix is a diuretic and a very safe drug in the small quantities you would
                                      use in an emergency (5 mg or 10mg) . Trixi at her worst had 30mg a day, so
                                      a single dose would be well within safe limits. The only contraindication
                                      is kidney disease and then large quantities of lasix could make it worse if
                                      given over a period of time, but I use it as a single dose with all my cats
                                      if needed. It can be given every 8 hours and should bring the breathing
                                      rate down quite quickly.

                                      The odd dose wouldn't do any harm and could do a lot of good to keep a cat
                                      comfortable until you get to the vet. If the lasix doesn't work at 10mg and
                                      breathing is still fast and uncomfortable then it's time for the emergency
                                      vet.

                                    • kateydiddles29
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 7, 2012
                                        My HCM cat, Zax, takes Lasix twice a day. We monitor his resting respiration rate closely and periodically give him an extra one as needed (when his respiration rate increases by 20%). My vet has given us clear-cut indications on when we should give the extra Lasix and how often, etc...I feel so much better knowing that we have a potent tool on hand in combatting fluid build-up.

                                        We also monitor his kidney function closely since he takes Lasix regularly.

                                        Karen

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 7, 2012
                                          My cat has CRF, although it is under control. I know that might be an issue, but what you said about that "potent tool" on hand rings so true with me. I would never get over it if she went into heart failure and I couldn't get her to the doctor in time.

                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                          Blessings,
                                          Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 22, 2012
                                            Hi -- if you have a kitty with more than just heart disease, you need to talk to your cardiologist and let him tell you exactly what to do. Each kitty is different. Balancing the fluids between the kidneys and the heart is very delicate -- ONLY the cardiologust can advise you.
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 22, 2012
                                              I was not asking for your advice, I had hoped for a little encouragement. My cardio is not returning calls, so I took a chance on posting here. I had hoped someone  who has been through this, or is going through it, might respond with a kind word. I'm sorry.
                                                   To help explain my confusion, I do want to add: Her kidney numbers are fine, in fact her CRE has been 1.4 for almost 1 1/2 years.

                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                              --- On Tue, 5/22/12, Westgold <westgold@...> wrote:

                                              Hi -- if you have a kitty with more than just heart disease, you need to talk to your cardiologist and let him tell you exactly what to do. Each kitty is different. Balancing the fluids between the kidneys and the heart is very delicate -- ONLY the cardiologust can advise you.

                                              I am getting discouraged about my Martha. She has gone into heart failure twice, both times from IV fluids. She is supposedly in advanced HCM, but is only getting Lasix once every 2-3 days. This is because of her kidneys. If the below is true, why am i bothering? What kind of a chance does she have? She seems to be doing okay right now.

                                              It is vital that Chilli gets his furosemide twice or even three times a

                                              > day. The drug lasts for about eight hours and prevents fluid build up. Once a

                                              > day wouldn't be enough to prevent this.

                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                              Blessings,

                                              Lynda, Martha, Morelli & Angel C.B.

                                            • Westgold
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 22, 2012
                                                All I meant to say is that every kitty is different, and the fluids must be balanced carefully for your own kitty. Too much fluid can hurt the heart, and too little can hurt the kidneys. Nobody else's dosages and experiences will help you. Only your cardiologist knows your cat. If he is not returning your calls, then I suggest you find another one. You need someone who will work with you and help you, to get the best possible care and treatment for your kitty.

                                              • elfinmyst@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , May 23, 2012
                                                  Hi Lynda

                                                  I am sorry Martha seems worse. Unfortunately balancing heart and kidney
                                                  disease is difficult but the heart failure would be the most important. Lasix,
                                                  in my experience, needs to be given 2 or 3 times a day because it lasts 8
                                                  hours. It keeps control of the heart failure and stops fluid building up.
                                                  If Martha's kidney results aren't serious, she could be given the lasix and
                                                  then tested in a week or two to see if it is harming her. There is another
                                                  diuretic called spironolactone which prevents fluid build up and is kinder
                                                  on the kidneys so if there was a problem she could have a mix of both like
                                                  my Milli has.

                                                  5mg lasix 2-3 times a day is not a large dose, but is normal in heart
                                                  failure. My cats have had this and then their kidney results are checked quite
                                                  regularly and have shown no deterioration at all.

                                                  Once Martha's heart is stabilised the diurectics can be tapered down if
                                                  that happens.

                                                • Elfinmyst
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 1, 2014
                                                    Hi

                                                    I agree with these suggestions. A chest tap isn't unusual and most cats tolerate it quite well. It's not much different to having a blood test. It may be the lasix needs increasing, or as others have suggested adding spironolactone which also worked for my cat and pimobendan has been a life saver too.