Lasix

  • lipmancats
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hi All,
      Widget had his second ultrasound Wednesday and the news was not
      good. The report describes his condition as much worse than four
      months ago (The original dx was severe, with a poor prognosis).
      Sigh. :-(
      The ultrasound showed some plueral effusion and Widget started on
      Lasix Wednesday evening. He is taking half a pill once a day and my
      vet is hoping to be able to cut him back to a quarter pill (she is
      aiming for the lowest effective dosage). His breathing is slower and
      not as deep, so I think it is helping already. He woke me up at 4
      a.m. today to purr at me and butt his head into my hand. :-)
      What side effects should I be on the lookout for with Lasix? What
      dosage do your kitties on this med. get? I know that this drug can
      be hard on kidneys. (We're also with the feline CRF group with Elmo,
      another member of our household).
      Thanks for you help and advice,
      Barbara and the furry crew
    • Elfinmyst
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 8, 2016
        HI there

        Not all cats with HCM need lasix but the majority with heart failure do. Lasix is a diuretic which draws fluid off the lungs from heart failure and is the gold standard most cardiologists use. There is also spironolactone which is a weaker diuretic. The alternative is a chest tap.
        Some here have mentioned other alternatives, I have never used them, heart failure is life threatening and lasix works very quickly . Trixi crashed again Weds after vomiting and needed it IV.
        I`m not sure what they do if a cat doesn't respond to lasix, I really hope someone else has an idea here, all mine respond to it really quickly.