neuter

  • Lori Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
      What has everyone done when your kitten has a bad heart murmur.......do you
      neuter them anyway? My kitty was diagnosed with a stage 5 murmur around 6
      months of age when I took him in to be neutered. He's now just over a year
      old and not neutered. Has anyone gotten a cat with that serious of a murmur
      neutered?
      ~Lori~
      Brooks, Oregon

      "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments
      that take our breath away."
    • Kim Rose
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
        Hi Lori -

        Here's my 2 cents worth......my kitten (5 months old)
        has a pretty bad heart murmur. My vet suggested
        taking him to a cardiologist to find out what's wrong.
        I'm glad I did - they found a hole in his heart and a
        mitral valve defect. We have to go back in about a
        month before we neuter to see if he can have the
        anesthesia.

        I'm not sure where you live (I live in Houston) or
        what options your vet has, but my vet told me that
        they have more than one way of putting a cat under for
        neutering. If my Roscoe ends up not being able to go
        under the "regular" way they put them under, they told
        me they have other options that will not knock them
        out as long - they put them under and they wake up
        pretty quick. I haven't inquired about the details
        since we don't know if there will be a problem.

        Have you asked your vet what anesthesia options they
        have? Have you taken your kitty to a cardiologist?
        My vet even recommended the cardiologist doing the
        neutering since they have all the stuff there in case
        something does go wrong.

        --- Lori Fisher <l_a_fisher@...> wrote:
        > What has everyone done when your kitten has a bad
        > heart murmur.......do you
        > neuter them anyway? My kitty was diagnosed with a
        > stage 5 murmur around 6
        > months of age when I took him in to be neutered.
        > He's now just over a year
        > old and not neutered. Has anyone gotten a cat with
        > that serious of a murmur
        > neutered?
        > ~Lori~
        > Brooks, Oregon
        >
        > "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we
        > take but by the moments
        > that take our breath away."

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
          Lori,
          If spraying is the only issue you could try Feliway a feline facial phenerome spray that you spray on vertical surfaces twice a day for 1 month. It is specifically for spraying. Another member with an unneutered male due to a heart murmur just started using it a couple weeks ago. Maybe she will report on any improvement (or lack thereof) since she started using it.
          Susan
          Lori Fisher <l_a_fisher@...> wrote:What has everyone done when your kitten has a bad heart murmur.......do you