Re: Gizmo's blood work results

  • zellenecats
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2002
      --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I received Gizmo's blood work results today for the BNA analysis.
      > The only values that are out of range are:
      >
      > Potassium which is 0.9 (normal range is 3.4-5.6). The analysis says
      > that a depressed potassium level indicates excessive oxygen in the
      > heart muscle as well as weakness in the heart.

      That is a very low potassium level. That alone can make a cat feel
      terrible...low K causes rear leg weakness and stumbling gait, muscle
      aches and fatigue, loss of appetite, and a general lousy feeling.
      Widgie's potassium was 3.6, low normal, when we started with
      supplemental potassium. At first I used Tumil K, the vet's standard.
      Now I use a human potassium gluconate powder that is much more
      palatable and easy to give in baby food. Very low potassium will
      affect the heart, so it's important to supplement. You just can't get
      enough from foods alone. Please ask your vet about potassium supps.