Tigger - very bad news

  • yarringt@agora-net.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2002
      Tigger has congestive heart failure. He hasn't been eating, but he
      gained almost a pound. So we looked at his heart - there is some
      fluid in the chest cavity. We suspect there is more in his abdomen.
      His blood pressure is still normal. But one wall of his heart just
      isn't doing anything.

      We put him on lasix and we're decreasing his fluids. He also had
      bloodwork done. I'll get those results later this week.

      I'm pretty devastated.
      -Debra & Tigger
    • diane
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 18, 2002
        Debbie,

        So sorry to hear of Tigger's heart! Have you made an appointment with
        a cardiologist yet?

        Diane

        >Tigger has congestive heart failure. He hasn't been eating, but he
        >gained almost a pound. So we looked at his heart - there is some
        >fluid in the chest cavity. We suspect there is more in his abdomen.
        >His blood pressure is still normal. But one wall of his heart just
        >isn't doing anything.
        >
        >We put him on lasix and we're decreasing his fluids. He also had
        >bloodwork done. I'll get those results later this week.
        >
        >I'm pretty devastated.
        >-Debra & Tigger

      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2002
          Debra,

          You and Tigger are in our thoughts and prayers.

          Linda and the boys

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 22, 2002
            I lit a candle for tigger here.

            http://www.oracula.org/es-02110421570825
            it's a red one, since i passionately hope he starts to feel better.

            ::tori
          • Cyber-Paws Designs
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 22, 2002
              Hi all,

              I had a quik question and was hoping someone on the list would be able to
              help. :)

              Does anyone know if a digital (human) ear thermometer will also work with a
              cat? If so, where can I buy one?

              Thanx!

              Carrie & AngelWolfy
            • Sally J.Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2002
                Hi Carrie,

                My vet uses a pediatrics digital ear thermometer...it's much
                smaller than an adult human model. Hers also had little tiny
                condom-like thingies that would go onto the sensor area first. Sshe
                said she had it calibrated against a "normal" thermometer (not sure if
                she meant normal human or normal animal/rectal one, and she knew the
                digital one was .03 degrees off...so, she would always just keep that
                small difference in mind when taking a temperature.

                But it did work.

                Hope you're managing to find some peace.....it is so hard, this
                loosing our beloved friends sometimes...I think of you often and send
                you loving support.

                Cheers,

                Sally and angel Muffin

                --- In feline-heart@y..., "Cyber-Paws Designs" <webdesign@c...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I had a quik question and was hoping someone on the list would be
                able to
                > help. :)
                >
                > Does anyone know if a digital (human) ear thermometer will also work
                with a
                > cat? If so, where can I buy one?
                >
                > Thanx!
                >
                > Carrie & AngelWolfy
              • Lynnie Henderson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2002
                  I did have good results with a human ear thermometer, although I was told
                  otherwise. I don't know if the reading is exactly the same as the "other"
                  kind, but I took temp when they were feeling good so I'd know what was
                  normal. The kits kind of enjoyed it, too - they thought it was a special ear
                  rub -- until the beep!
                  Lynnie
                • Cyber-Paws Designs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 23, 2002
                    Hi Sally and others who posted :)

                    I can finally think of my angelWolfy, and look at his photos, without
                    crying. I still miss him immensely, and I think about him constantly. His
                    breeder called me and we had a really nice talk, and someday, when I am
                    ready, I will be getting another little furbaby from them. But I think that
                    will be quite some time. :)

                    One of my other cats has been limping for the past few days. I am really
                    not sure why. He is very, very active and playful. A few days ago he went
                    to jump up on the kitchen table, but didn't quite make it and slid back off.
                    I am thinking he may have twisted a paw. I've had him at the vet twice
                    already, and they cannot find anything wrong with him. Last nite at the vet
                    he had a temp of 103, but the vet thought the kitty was probably just mad
                    from being poked at and having his limbs twisted around during the exam.

                    I, of course, am making myself batty with worry. After losing Wolfy, I
                    cannot take any more heartbreaks. I worry endlessly, it seems. Has anyone
                    else gotten like this after losing a loved furbaby? Like paranoia about the
                    other pets getting sick?

                    I think the vet would have rather examined ME last nite! LOL.

                    I have read mixed things about the ear thermometer. Some people said yes
                    they work, others said no. I did find a digital pet thermometer, but I'd
                    have to have it shipped and it was kinda expensive. I just wanted to
                    monitor his temp. He seems much better today, is playing more than he has
                    the past few days, which is good.

                    Thanx!!
                    Carrie

                    My vet uses a pediatrics digital ear thermometer...it's much
                    smaller than an adult human model. Hers also had little tiny
                    condom-like thingies that would go onto the sensor area first. Sshe
                    said she had it calibrated against a "normal" thermometer (not sure if
                    she meant normal human or normal animal/rectal one, and she knew the
                    digital one was .03 degrees off...so, she would always just keep that
                    small difference in mind when taking a temperature.

                    But it did work.

                    Hope you're managing to find some peace.....it is so hard, this
                    loosing our beloved friends sometimes...I think of you often and send
                    you loving support.

                    Cheers,

                    Sally and angel Muffin

                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "Cyber-Paws Designs" <webdesign@c...> wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I had a quik question and was hoping someone on the list would be
                    able to
                    > help. :)
                    >
                    > Does anyone know if a digital (human) ear thermometer will also work
                    with a
                    > cat? If so, where can I buy one?
                    >
                    > Thanx!
                    >
                    > Carrie & AngelWolfy

                  • Cyber-Paws Designs
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 23, 2002
                      Hi Lynnie, thank you for the info! I decided to be brave and bought a
                      little digital, flexible, rectal thermometer.

                      I know this list is about heart problems, but I feel more comfortable
                      talking to you guys here, so I hope no one minds if I talk about Tally here.
                      I know a lot of the people on this list have lots of experience that go
                      beyond heart-related issues. I really dont want to go join another list.
                      :(

                      Tally's vet called today with the blood test results. Everything was fine
                      except his white cells were slightly elevated. The vet thought it was from
                      an inflammation, which he probably has in one of his paws since he's been
                      limping. The anti inflammatory meds seems to be helping, he is much more
                      active today. Does anyone know anything about white cells?

                      I took Tally's temp, it was 100.9 tonite. Much better than the 103 last
                      nite!

                      I'm still a bit worried, but I do feel better. The remainder of the blood
                      tests will be in next week.

                      Thanks to everyone for listening to me, and I apologize if this is off the
                      heart topic.

                      Hugs,
                      Carrie