My little Boo Boo passed away yesterday:( (long)

  • earina613@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2000
      It happened Sunday morning, October 15, 2000 at about 8:30AM. I walk up
      early that day because I planed to study for a midterm. And as my regular
      routine I went to check up on my little Boo Boo. As I approached her she was
      lying down very still, on the carpet next to her litter box and when I
      noticed that she was breathing hard/fast I got really scared. She was
      hospitalized for pulmonary edema (fluid build up in her lungs) about 2-3
      times before and the symptoms were similar. I was trying to be optimistic,
      hoping that maybe she was breathing fast because she got tired, maybe from
      cleaning herself or by walking around too much. I was hoping she would get
      stabilized so I gave it some time. Her breathing didn't get better and I
      knew what I had to do at that moment. I took her to Veterinary Emergency
      group of Queens PC. My precious Boo Boo was so weak. It was so sad for me
      to see her in that condition. She opened her mouth a few times in the car,
      trying to gasp for air, while we were on our way to the emergency room. I
      was so sad! But I was very hopeful that she would get better, just like all
      other times. She was doing so well for about 2-3 months now, until this
      happened and I was praying that she would be strong and fight it.
      As soon as I brought Boo Boo to the Emergency room, it was about 10:30Am,
      they placed her into an oxygen tank. The doctor notified me that Boo Boo
      most likely would be spending the night at the hospital and that I could call
      later to find out her progress. I called at about 6pm and the doctor told me
      that the x-rays showed a little edema in her lungs and that she's been giving
      Boo Boo some more lasix to get rid of the fluids from her lungs. The good
      news was that I was told Boo Boo's breathing stabilized and that I might be
      taking her home that night. I was told to call again before 9pm, to make
      sure she was stable enough to go. I called at about 8:30pm and spoke to
      another doctor on shift that told me that Boo Boo was still stable and that I
      could take her home if I wanted to, since I had all the meds that she needed,
      but he did notify me that she might need to be brought back to them if she
      reacted again. At about 11pm I went to pick up Boo Boo and when I saw her
      in that oxygen tank her breathing didn't look any different from when I
      brought her in, it was still fast. I decided to let her stay over-night
      because I didn't want the risk of taking her home when I felt she really
      needed that oxygen box to help her breath. I picked up Boo Boo at 7:30AM in
      the morning; to my sadness she didn't get better, in fact I think she might
      have gotten worse. Saliva was coming out of her mouth, her nose was running,
      she was breathing just as fast and her eyes were teary. I brought her home
      with me so that I could decide which Vet to bring her to next. I took her
      out of her bed carriage and placed her on the carpet right next to her litter
      box and I put some water besides her. It was so painful for me to see her
      that way. She didn't move as I placed her on the carped, she was so weakL.
      She kept her eyes open but couldn't sleep; she was in that same position (on
      the side). At about 9:00AM or so I took her the Animal Medical Center. In
      the car she seemed more uncomfortable. My heart ached when I looked at her.
      She couldn't get up even to defecate instead she meowed very weakly to let me
      know she was in pain. She opened her mouth a few times, because it was
      difficult for her to breath.
      I was so scared for her and so sad!L I didn't know how to help her and hated
      myself for that.
      I brought Boo Boo to AMCNYat about 9:30AM(11/16/00). She was placed into an
      oxygen tank. The doctor told be that Boo Boo was in cardiac arrest and that
      the current meds (lasix, antenolol, enacard) weren't effective enough. She
      said they would need to use stronger meds and start the "aggressive"
      treatment. She warned me that her heart might not handle it and brougth up
      the issue of "life support systems". She asked if I wanted them to bring
      her back if her heart would fail and place her on life support. If they
      brought her back she'd have to stay on life support for the rest of her life
      and she wouldn't be the same the vet told me. I was all alone in that big
      hospital and I was so lost, so confused, so sad and in so much pain. I loved
      her and wanted her to live more than anything it this world. I wanted her to
      be with me again so I could take care of her and love her, but I didn't want
      her to suffer, to be in pain, to live in a little box for the rest of her
      life- I knew that, that wouldn't the kind of life she would enjoy. I loved
      her soooooo much, I didn't know what to say, didn't know what to do, I only
      wanted to keep her away from struggling and fight for her life and
      happiness. I asked if she was suffering and the vet told me that breathing
      difficulties were one of the most painful and I cried inside when I heard
      that and I told her that I didn't want her to suffer. I didn't want her to
      be in pain. I didn't want her hate me. I asked the Vet what she would do if
      she was in the same situation and she said she would try the aggressive
      treatment but I don't recall her saying anything about the life support
      systems maybe because half of me was somewhere else. I was so scared. I told
      her to try their best in helping my precious, sweet, little, innocent, loving
      kitty and finally I told her that I didn't want her to struggle on life
      support. I wanted to be rational, I wanted to do what would be best for Boo
      Boo. It was so hard for me to decide! I wished there was a way for me to
      find out what Boo Boo wanted out of this. I wish my Boo Boo would tell me
      when and if she was in painL. I wanted to be rational, but how can I be, if
      I don't know what she needs and wants? It would be so hard to say goodbye. I
      didn't want her to die!L I would give my life if I could. I didn't want to
      think of death and tried to be hopeful ! I was still trying to be
      optimistic, hoping wishing, dreaming that this day would be like other days
      where I would bring her in the hospital let them treat her and pick her up
      the next day when she would be more lively then ever. She was so precious to
      me! I loved her so much and tried to think only positive thoughts.
      While I was standing at the registration desk, asking them when I would be
      called the doctor approached me and gave me the most horrible news. The news
      that I wasn't expecting. The news I was not ready to receive. I was in
      shock when she told me Boo Boo passed away. I didn't want to believed it. I
      wanted it to be a mistake. I just brought her in at about 9:30AM and it was
      only about 11:40AM. How could it be? What went wrong? Why did she? Was
      there anything I could do? Did they do enough? Did I do enough? What if I
      brought her to AMCNY the night before instead of bringing her to the
      Emergency Room in Queens? What if my regular cardiologist was there(she had a
      day off on Monday)? What if I didn't do enough? Did I miss her medicine
      doses? Did I not take care of her well enough? Why would she die? Why would
      she leave me to suffer like this? Why did she go and didn't let me say
      goodbye? I was not ready to say goodbye to my Boo Boo!L I was heart broken!
      I couldn't stop crying, thinking about her, wondering why, blaming myself
      and others for her departure. (I miss her sooooo much as I type now). I
      loved my Boo Boo, but maybe I didn't love her enough? Maybe if I loved her
      more and spend more time with her? Maybe if I took her to more doctors? Or
      maybe if I brushed her teeth when she was a baby and gave her better food?
      Maybe I shouldn't have taking her to Vets so much b/c she always got
      stressed? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to her? Maybe I wasn't as
      careful with her as I should have been? Maybe I wasn't as attentive with her?
      Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe if I did more she would live?
      I was in a painful dark puzzle trying to answer my own questions, when the
      doctor asked if I wanted to see Boo Boo. I wanted to see her, but what I
      really wanted was to be there to support her when she was leaving my world.
      I wanted to comfort her one last time. I wanted to hug her and kiss her. I
      wanted to whisper to her that I love her so much. I wanted to tell her not
      to be afraid and that I was there with her. I wanted her to know how much I
      cared and adored her. I love her so much it hurts now even as I type this.
      The vet brought Boo Boo in the room for me to say goodbye, I couldn't stop
      crying. Boo Boo's eyes were opened, she was so weak. She looked so delicate
      and so precious. I couldn't believe she was not with me anymore. I loved
      her too much and never wanted to let go. My Boo Boo was gone…she became an
      angel… I couln't believe that… I couldn't accept it… I didn't know what
      else to say….If only there was something I could do for her… If only there
      was magic that could bring Boo Boo back to me… If only Boo Boo's large heart
      didn't stop…If only she didn't get such a bad doublefold diagnosis of CRF and
      severe HCM in April of this year….
      I took Boo Boo home with me because I wasn't sure if I wanted to bury her or
      cremate her. On our way home I couldn't stop crying, my father was with
      me(he drove me to Animal Medical Center in NY and waited for me) and I didn't
      want to tell him, I guess I still was in denial, but I couldn't hide my
      pain, my tears, my sufferings and I suspect my father understood but was good
      about not meantioning anything to me. I didn't want him to. I took her
      home with me because I wanted to look at her, to pat her, to spent time with
      her, to tell her I loved her even though she was deep asleep. As I was
      approaching the lobby of my building with Boo Boo in my arms I saw my mother.
      Boo Boo was in the same bed carriage that I took her into the hospital with.
      My mother didn't know and I was not ready to tell her, I was trying to keep
      my tears inside but it was so hard I tried to pass my mother with my face
      down to the floor, but my mother grabbed me and I couldn't control myself
      anymore. I couldn't control my emotions and pain and my mother cried with me
      and tried to comfort me. I told my mom I wasn't sure what I wanted to do
      with Boo Boo yet, that I need some time and was going to bring her inside our
      apartment. My mother told me something I've never heard before, she said
      that I would be bringing negative energy home and that my dog and my other
      cat can get sick. Maybe it was a superstiotion but I was so scared and in
      shock when I heard and I didn't know what to do but cry. My mom walked me
      back to my fathers car. At that moment I was forced to make a quick decision
      either to cremate her or bury her, the Vet gave me some numbers to crematory
      agencies and cemeteries. I was contemplating whether it be best to crematate
      or bury. I wished I could just keep her right next to me. I wished to do
      neither if only I could. I didn't want her body to be eaten by insicts, but
      at the same time I didn't want to burn her. I wanted her to be close to me.
      I wanted to have her with me all the time. Since it had to be a quick
      decision and the agencies were so far away. I called the crematory center
      at about 1:40pm and schedualed an apointment for a pick up. I didn't want
      to, I struggled to make the call but I didn't know what to do. While waiting
      for them in my fathers car, I took Boo Boo out of her bed carriage and I held
      her, I touched her, I kissed her and I told her how much I loved her. It was
      so difficult for me to give her away, I didn't want to, I cried when I gave
      them my lovely Boo Boo, my beautiful kitty. I didn't know if I made the
      right decision. All I knew was that I was aching inside and outside and all
      I could see and think of was Boo Boo, my precious baby, my little princess
      who on that rainy day crossed the bridge and became my angel. Three hours
      later I realized that I didn't want to crematate her and instead I wanted to
      bury her so I could bring flowers to her grave and so I could visit her. The
      crematory Center is charging a fee to hold her body until we find a place to
      bury her in.

      She was so young, only 5 yrs old and already had one of the worst hearts, the
      cardiologist had ever seen, the vet told me. That day was the longest day of
      my life, the most painful, the most scary, the most depressing and sad… I
      blamed myself…maybe I didn't do enough, but unforetunately I'll never know.
      Unforetunately Boo Boo will never tell me. I'll never see Boo Boo again and
      will never know where she is. I'll never know how she is but I'll always
      know that my love for her will always live. And I will miss her, I already
      miss her and it happened only yesterday. And I will always remember her and
      cherish her and pray for her and think of her. Boo Boo is the first kitty I
      ever felt such a bond with and I will hope that I made her life at least a
      little better then it would have been without me.

      I am so sad, I remember the first moment I saw her, it was in October 16,
      1995 at about 11:30PM, she was so helpless and weak, just a few weeks old, so
      precious and sweet and in the same way my little innocent baby left me, on
      October 16, 2000 at about 11:40AM very helpless and weak. I am
      praying/hoping/wishing that you are in a better place now my charming little
      one! I will always miss you and I will always love you!
      I love you Boo Boo!

      -Irina and my precious Angel Boo Boo

      URL to My Boo Boo's site !
      http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
    • brunobaby@accesshub.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2000
        Irina:

        Condolences on the loss of Boo Boo.

        It sounds as if her heart and kidneys had been weak right from the
        beginning of her life. Without the care you gave her, she probably wouldn't
        have much of a life at all. But for the years she was on earth she knew
        what it was like to be loved.

        It's sad that you couldn't be with her when she passed away, but she also
        spared you the decision to have to put her to sleep.

        I truly believe that there's some kind of spirit somewhere -- Mother
        Nature, maybe -- who sees the kind of love that caring owners give their
        pets and remembers it. I hope that spirit will send you another cat someday
        who you'll bond with for many, many years.

        --Melinda and Pongo
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2000

          Irina,

          I well remember all of your previous postings about Boo Boo. Months ago I visited your web site & saw pictures of your little girl & read her story.

          I am absolutely heartbroken to hear about this. I know how much you loved her & how hard you worked to take care of her. The email from you was so incredibly touching. I was in tears for the longest time. Boo Boo was obviously a very special cat to inspire such feelings.

          > I wanted to be rational, I wanted to do what would be
          > best for Boo Boo. It was so hard for me to decide! I
          > wished there was a way for me to find out what Boo Boo
          > wanted out of this. I wish my Boo Boo would tell me
          > when and if she was in pain. I wanted to be rational, but how
          > can I be, if I don't know what she needs and wants?
          > . . .

          Your love for her did allow you to know exactly what she wanted. I'm certain that everyone reading your note could see that you did just what was right for her ... no matter how much it hurt you.

          > I loved my Boo Boo, but maybe I didn't love her enough?
          > Maybe if I loved her more and spend more time with her? Maybe
          > . . .
          > Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe if I did more she would live?
          > . . .

          Irina, it's obvious how dearly yuou loved Boo Boo. From all of your messages, it's also obvious that you couldn't do any more for her. You loved her so much. I feel certian that Boo Boo would have rather spent those 5 years with you than to have lived longer with someone else. She loved you as much as you loved her.

          God bless you.

          --
          JR
          & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2000
            Thank You for your support JR, I really appreciate it.
            I am still sad, still wondering why. I haven't been to school this whole
            week and I don't think I'll be coming the end of this week. I know I am in
            trouble with all my professors. In fact I have a midterm on thursday that I
            will probably not be around to take. I don't feel like doing anything or
            goin anywhere. I will so heart broken. I tried to morn my Boo Boo's death
            by not eating but since it was my brothers birthday yesterday John forced me
            to go out to eat. He's been very supportive. Patty I wish she was alife.
            All I keep thinking about is her, wondering where she is, and how she is, if
            I loved her enough. Everywhere I turn in my apt I remember the cute things
            she used to do and I feel more pain because I miss her so much. I found her
            oct 16, 95 and she left me oct 16, 00. It is just so unfair. I keep
            thinking about her, wondering if I did eough, if I treated her good , then I
            began thinking that I wasn't there for her enough. Last few days I saw her
            in the morning and at night when I gave her meds, because I was in school so
            much. I wish I could spent more time with her, I wish I could say a real
            goodbye to her. He body is in storage I don't whether to bury her or cremate
            her. Since I don't have a yard I can't bury her close to me, it have to be
            somewhere in weschester in a pet cemeter, will cost a lot and I will go
            deeper into debt but for her I would do anything. Only problem is I heard
            that sometimes when cemeteries run out of space they put two bodies on top of
            each other in one hole and I heard there were times people would take the
            bodies out to build something. there were cases like that before and I don't
            want Boo Boo's body to be disturbed. I want to do what she would want me to
            do. I am not sure what is best to do. I'd like to do it in a way that she
            would be more closer to me. I thought about cremating her too, to keep her
            ashes but I am not sure I want to burn her body. I need to decide by friday
            what I will do, don't want to keep her little body in the storage too long.
            what do you think I should do?
            -Irina(missing my Boo Boo):(
            URL to My Boo Boo's site !
            http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hummingbird/210/index.htm
          • the chunns
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2000
              Dear Irina,

              It was so sad to hear of your little Boo Boo's passing, but you must know
              you
              gave her a good life and she probably lived longer because of all your
              love and care. You were a very good mom to her! I know how much
              you are hurting right now - it is the most painful thing in the world when
              we have to lose our beloved animal companions.

              I know it is a tough decision now to decide what to do with her body. I
              have always had my animals cremated - that way I can always keep them
              with me wherever I might go - and by that I mean if you move away from
              where you are living now, you can take her ashes and if she is buried
              somewhere you might not always live in the same area. I buried a dog
              in my yard almost twenty years ago and when we left that house and
              moved to another town I felt terrible about leaving her. So for me,
              cremation
              is better. And remember, Boo Boo's spirit is no longer in her little body -
              she won't care what you do with it. She is an angel now and her spirit will
              be
              with you always now matter what you decide about her body.

              Irina, I wish you all the best and I know your grief will get easier to bear
              in time.

              Pat