Sacred Journeys

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      Words cannot begin to express my heart's resonance at hearing about
      the passing of Smoky, Freckles and now, Wolfy...and how much I feel
      the grief and sadness that their caregivers must be feeling....we all
      know and feel this grief and my heart goes out to all who have lost or
      are dealing with the approach of letting go of their dear
      furfriends..this is challenging and difficult work we all are doing.

      As some of you may have heard, I have been in touch with
      Muffin-in-Spirit since he passed over and I hope I can offer some
      ideas of support that come from him and his passing...not to say that
      what he experienced is what all experience, but to perhaps offer some
      information on how one journey has unfolded. This forum has always
      been such a good place for such sharings....

      Muffin reassured me that he, as a being-born-into-Spirit-being did
      not experience trauma or suffering even though it looked like his body
      might be suffering...he told me that as the transition time
      approaches, the Spirit body begins to disconnect from the physical
      body...that they are still tethered together but that the Spirit Body
      is beginning to take form and shape as the physical is needing to do
      what it has to do to shut down and go to rest.

      The Spirit or Etheric body CANNOT feel physical pain and but it can
      "see" and or remember a traumatic end, but that it is like watching a
      movie...it's like observing something that is happening to someone
      else...there are shielding walls or fields of protection that move in
      to help the Spirit in transition to get out of the body.

      There are helpers in the Spirit realm who come and help those who
      need it, but not all Spirits in transition need help.

      Just after his Spirit left his body, there was a time of
      "collecting himself"...it was as if he needed to review and process
      what had just happened and all of his life that he had lived while he
      was here. He also had to collect and gather himself and his
      energies...I'm not really sure what this means, but he said it was an
      important time for him to adjust to now being in Spirit. I have no
      idea how he experienced the duration of this process, but to me, it
      felt like it took him a week in my timeframe to finally "arrive" in
      his new dimension.

      He said that he understands how hard it is for those of us who are
      left behind...that our attachment to the forms is what holds us in
      grief rather than in celebration for this great and powerful
      transformation and that our grief and sadness and loss is a particular
      aspect of being Human...(I get the feeling in hearing this that Spirit
      animals just don't feel these kinds of sad and
      depleating emotions)...and that it is important that we honour our
      relationships of Love with the act of grieving so that we can begin to
      heal all the grief that has gone unhealed for millenia (I'm not quite
      sure what this means, but it is what he said)

      He said that [from the perspective of the animal in
      transition] hearing our caregivers heart's speak to us in Loving
      concern is a soothing balm that makes transition go easier, regardless
      of the method of departure...and that loving acts are loving acts and
      all Love is Sacred, especially at times of transition...we (us
      caregivers) should not feel guilt about how we chose to support or
      animal's transition...that all choices made out of love are the right
      ones, because they are made WITH love...he also said that the pattern
      of second-guessing our choices is another human peculiarity, and that
      it often does not serve us well.

      He said that he is now closer to The Divine than he could ever be
      when he was in a body and that there was nothing that I could do here,
      in the earth plane that would hold him back from what he needs now to
      do or where he needs now to go...that my grief and sadness are my own
      and that I need to work thru it and honour it, every bit, but it did
      not impact him at all. He also said that he is in such Joy now.

      This is what I have received from him since his transition...I
      offer it in hope that it may be of help and support for those who are
      now dealing with this difficult work.

      And on a very simple and practical note, something I've been wanting
      to say for months now...to those of you who still have your cat
      friends with you.....consider saving the fur you collect from your
      brushings...I wish I had saved more. Having that bit of freely given
      fur around after they are gone is very helpful in the grieving...and
      as you keep rolling and kneading the ball it turns into a kind of
      felt-like material...it's really nice to have around...it smells like
      him :-)

      Love to all,

      Sally and Angel Muffin
    • Cyber-Paws Designs
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
        Dear Sally and Angel Muffin,

        Thank you SO much for this, I cannot even say how much this means to me.

        I also want to thank everyone else who has posted, and emailed privately,
        and sent poems and sympathy, it truly has helped. I plan to email everyone
        privately when I am feeling a little more emotionally stable.

        This has been a sad past few weeks for so many of us here, and I am so
        thankful to have you all here. I know I did not post often, but I did lurk
        and read all the messages over the past few months since I joined this
        group. Although it is a sad bond we share, its a strong bond, and its a
        true bond of love. I believe our furbabies who have crossed recently are
        together at the Bridge and are watching over us, and I'm sure they are glad
        that we have each other here.

        Lynnie sent me a wonderful link, thank you so much! It helped me greatly in
        learning to accept that we have to help our furbabies.

        A long time ago I wrote a poem called Twilight Hill. I had never put a pet
        to sleep prior to Wolfy, yet for some reason years ago I was inspired to
        write Twilight Hill. My intention at the time was for it to be read for
        children who had lost a pet. If anyone would like to read it, it is posted
        at my website here:

        http://www.cyber-paws.com/twilight.htm

        I put most of this site together when my little BooBoo crossed almost four
        years ago, and I even started a small, yet beautiful virtual resting place.
        I am thinking of starting that up again, I think a lot of people would
        appreciate it.

        I am still very sad and feel lost. I keep thinking I see or hear
        Wolfy...and maybe in a way I am. Maybe its his way of letting me know that
        he is still with me.

        My other pets are acting a bit strange. My dog has been very sad and has
        thrown up 3 times. My Persian, Wooby, who had a very special bond with
        Wolfy, is now sleeping in all of Wolfy's special sleeping spots, which Wooby
        has never done before. My other two cats also have been staring at Wolfy's
        special pet carrier, which he slept in during his last day, and he did pass
        over inside this carrier. I have taken the blankets out of it and cleaned
        everything, and I have left it zippered shut for now...but they are staring
        into it and meowing. I am sure they miss him as much as I do.

        I have Wolfy's collar, and I do have his fur, which I saved over the months
        and also clipped a bit from him before he left, and it does help to have it,
        and to smell it, and feel it. I saved the tiny towel that his head was
        resting on all day on Thursday, he had drooled a tiny bit on it while he was
        sleeping, and I placed it in a zip lock bag. Maybe this seems strange, but
        not to me. His scent is on it, and I want to keep it.

        I know a woman who makes tiny teddy bears. Earlier this year she made me
        tiny stuffed animals, one that resembles my dog and one that resembles
        Wolfy. I have the little Wolfy one resting on his special food dish, with
        his collar. I contacted her earlier today, and she is going to make me an
        extra tiny version of Wolfy, and sew a bit of his fur inside, so that I can
        have a little bit of him with me always. It will be tiny enough to keep in
        my pocket, or next to my bed, or in my purse. I hope this does not sound
        crazy. I collect tiny stuffed toys, so this one will be extra special to
        me. She is also a cat lover.

        My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a pet and has had to endure this
        sadness. I am not sure if anyone else here participates in the Monday
        evening Candlelight Ceremony, but I plan to lite a special candle for Wolfy
        every Monday at 10pm. I will also think of all the other babies on this
        list as I light his candle.

        I am also grateful that I have an understanding family. My parents went to
        church last nite for All Souls Day, and they requested a special prayer for
        Wolfy. That meant a lot to me.

        I am putting together a huge photo collage of the photos I have of Wolfy,
        which I will hang by my bed so I can look at his sweet little face. I am so
        glad I took lots of pictures of him during his time with me.

        I also plan to keep Wolfy's web site up. I will update it when I feel a
        little better. I think its important to keep his little story up for others
        to read, so that other kitty owners faced with this same heart disease know
        that there is hope. Wolfy lived much longer than the vets ever expected, as
        a kitten they had told me he may live a year, and he lived to 3 years and
        one week. He is my little hero.

        Thank you all so much. You have made this hard time easier for me, and I
        dont feel so alone knowing that you care and understand. All of your posts
        and emails touched me deeply, and I I have had some good cries, which I know
        is part of the healing.

        Love to you all,

        Carrie and Angel Wolfy

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
          Sally,

          Thank you for your post. This has been my experience as well, but I
          couldn't properly express it. You've done a wonderful job explaining
          transition and I hope that it helps all of us who need it. Many
          kitty kisses -

          Beth & the purr-faces
          Trace, Lily, Iris, Miles, Rusty, Chloe, Viper, Delilah, Anaka,
          Rachael, Dragon, and Elvis

        • mdetate
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
            Dear Carrie - what a sad week indeed. I have delayed sending you my
            condolences because it is so hard to type through the tears. You &
            Wolfy fought hard & I'm thankful you had the all the time with Wolfy you
            could get. It is not strange to keep fur/hair of loved ones & in fact
            through the centuries, humans have given gifts of their hair to special
            friends & loved ones. I saw on Antique Roadshow that it was common
            practice on special birthdays (30th - 40th, etc) to have hair woven into
            keepsakes such as jewelry. I'm sure that kitty fur could also be made
            into yarn/thread for the same purpose. I have begun to collect the fur
            that I brush each day from Bob. I'm not sure how I will use it yet, but
            I'm a pretty crafty person, so I'm sure an inspiration will strike me.
            I only wish I had known about these things years ago when I lost my
            angel kitties Inky, Chat & Ernie Tubbs. Although pictures are
            wonderful, something more tangible to feel & pet & smell would surely
            help the pain I still feel from each of my angels crossings. All of my
            previous kitties except Ernie lived long healthy lives (Inky 20yrs -
            Chat 19yrs - Ernie 13yrs), but I still mourn them & the special things
            they did. You have many mementos of Wolfy & many who loved & prayed for
            you & Wolfy. You will remain in our thoughts & hearts.

            Lots of Kitty Kisses,
            Myra & Bob

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • targa66
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
              Dear Carrie:

              Just a quick note to send my condolences. As others have said on
              this list - try not to question your decision to help Wolfy in his
              passing. I think it's one of the hardest - and kindest - things we
              can do for those who we love, when we know their "spark" is gone and
              that they are just waiting to pass. He's truly at peace now and not
              suffering any longer. He'll be with you in spirit always.

              I had similar experiences when my beloved Targa passed in August - I
              kept seeing shadows of him everywhere I looked. A dear friend
              suggested that was him visiting me and trying to help me in my
              grief. My remaining cat, Pacino, was more affected than I could ever
              imagine - he was so listless and depressed that I thought I would
              lose him, too. But he has since rallied back, and I try to tell him -
              with words and thought-pictures - that his "brother" Targa is still
              with us and loving us, just from a different place.

              I hope you can find peace soon. Hang in there.
              -Shelly