Success at last

  • lois_051958
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hi all,
      I finally got all Gizmo's supps and meds down and he loved every bit
      of it.
      Here's how:
      Gizmo LOVES Petromalt, felovite, basically anything malt based.
      Luckily all his supps are capsules with powder inside. After
      exhasting all other possibilites, (like syringe feeding, mixing with
      baby food, canned food, eggs, cat milk, tuna, pill gun) I got an idea
      thanks to a few of you that suggested giving him his favorite treat
      immediately after meds. I put the petromalt in a small bowl and
      dumped the powder from one of the pills in it. It got real thick so
      I took the eskimo oil pill that I also need to give him (oil in gel
      cap) and pierced it with a needle and squirted it into the bowl.
      This added enough liquid to mix everything up to almost the same
      consistency as the petromalt. Although I did add a couple of drops
      of warm water. Then I put a little on my finger and he licked it up
      immediately and wanted more. I fed him that, then made another batch
      with the next supp. He loved that too. I do have one more to go, I
      will give him that this evening. It was so effortless and he LOVED
      it. I was so happy, I actually started crying. I have been so
      stressed this week trying to get them in him. Since his atenolol is
      so tiny ( he only gets a 1/4 pill 1x a day) I shaved it down with a
      razor and put it in his raw ground turkey, it went undetected.
      Thanks for all your advice and encouragement, without all of you, I
      might have given up on the supps because I did not want to stress him
      out and make him afraid of me.
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
      Greatfully,
      Lois
    • diane
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
        Lois - one word - CONGRATS!

        :)

        Diane
      • bcowell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
          Lois,
          That's fabulous! How fortunate Gizmo adored malt! You must feel so
          happy to finally find a way to help your furbaby without him
          resenting you :)
          Brigitte

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I finally got all Gizmo's supps and meds down and he loved every
          bit
          > of it.
          > Here's how:
          > Gizmo LOVES Petromalt, felovite, basically anything malt based.
          > Luckily all his supps are capsules with powder inside. After
          > exhasting all other possibilites, (like syringe feeding, mixing
          with
          > baby food, canned food, eggs, cat milk, tuna, pill gun) I got an
          idea
          > thanks to a few of you that suggested giving him his favorite treat
          > immediately after meds. I put the petromalt in a small bowl and
          > dumped the powder from one of the pills in it. It got real thick
          so
          > I took the eskimo oil pill that I also need to give him (oil in gel
          > cap) and pierced it with a needle and squirted it into the bowl.
          > This added enough liquid to mix everything up to almost the same
          > consistency as the petromalt. Although I did add a couple of drops
          > of warm water. Then I put a little on my finger and he licked it
          up
          > immediately and wanted more. I fed him that, then made another
          batch
          > with the next supp. He loved that too. I do have one more to go,
          > will give him that this evening. It was so effortless and he LOVED
          > it. I was so happy, I actually started crying. I have been so
          > stressed this week trying to get them in him. Since his atenolol
          is
          > so tiny ( he only gets a 1/4 pill 1x a day) I shaved it down with a
          > razor and put it in his raw ground turkey, it went undetected.
          > Thanks for all your advice and encouragement, without all of you, I
          > might have given up on the supps because I did not want to stress
          him
          > out and make him afraid of me.
          > Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
          > Greatfully,