Re: Problems pilling Gizmo

  • bcowell
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Lois,
      I know it is awful to have to fight your Gizmo so much to pill him. I
      don't know that there is any other way in the beginning. My baby Bobo
      fought furiously for at least the first week, probably two or three.
      I think the first week was the most intense and so upsetting. I think
      he thought we were trying to torture him. What I found helped was to
      find a treat he liked to give after the pilling ordeal. It seemed to
      communicate to Bobo that we were not trying to be horrible, and I
      think what made him start to struggle less.
      I hate to say it, but you probably just have to try every way that
      has been suggested to you before you find the method that works with
      Gizmo.
      I hope it gets easier soon,
      Brigitte

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
      > have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
      > I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
      > then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his
      mouth
      > that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
      > are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have
      four
      > pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
      > the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
      > ground turkey.
      > I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
      > suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
      > Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it
      take
      > to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
      > compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
      > all the pills.
      > Can someone please give me any other advice.
      > Thanks,
      > Lois
    • pussiqatt
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
        Hi Lois,

        I just wanted to post words of encouragement. It's a shock to our
        little furballs to suddenly have pills shoved down their throats, so
        naturally they resist for awhile. I don't know about the rest of
        you, but Boris is spoiled rotten and has rarely been required to do
        anything he hates. He exhibited all the typical behaviors, including
        hiding from us, hissing even without provocation, growling and acting
        hurt, emotional problems, etc. We were lucky in that this only
        lasted about 2 weeks.

        When I first started I was just as emotional and I know Boris sensed
        this. After about a week of crying and feeling frustrated, I calmed
        myself down and became rather stoic. I just decided that I wasn't
        going to get upset, that this had to be done and that was that. When
        I'd do it wrong and Boris would start hissing, I'd just talk to him
        sensibly about why this had to work. He calmed down right after that.

        The suggestions offered here are terrific. We found that holding
        Boris between the legs with the back feet crossed so he can't weasel
        out backwards works wonders. Pulling the head backwards while
        holding the cheekbones area supposedly makes the jaw drop open
        naturally. This isn't the case with Boris, our little fighter, but
        maybe it works with Gizmo. With the other hand you can drop or use a
        pill shooter to put the pill at the back of the tongue so it doesn't
        taste. Then shut the mouth and stroke the throat.

        So if that doesn't work, liquids are easier to get inside through the
        corner of the mouth, and they can be compounded with flavors, or do
        try the compounded "treats". Unfortunately Boris and many other cats
        are too smart for their own good and smell the meds in the treats.
        Some cats like the unmedicated samples but immediately smell the meds
        once they're added. We wasted $30 on them, but it was worth the
        gamble just in case it worked.

        Lastly, with multiple meds gelcaps are a must, the less times you
        pill Gizmo the easier he'll accept this new routine.

        Don't get discouraged, cats naturally resist any change, but
        especially if that change isn't fun. Not reacting to kitty's
        emotions, doing it at the same time each day, and rewarding Gizmo
        right afterwards with his favorite treat should eventually work.
        Boris is very treat oriented, so we practically shove his treat in
        his mouth as soon as the pill is down. He especially loves Whisker
        Lickins and we don't give them to him any other time. This really
        works for him. Plus you don't want to give pills on an empty stomach.

        Good luck, keep at it and it will eventually work. I know that's
        easy for me to say, but you will succeed.

        Also, I was encouraged when you sent the numbers for Gizmo's heart
        rate, it's very low which is terrific. If some of the bigger pills
        aren't necessary, maybe you should wait a month until he's used to
        the routine? Just a suggestion.

        Maureen & Boris