Re: [FH] Problems pilling Gizmo

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Lois,
      I have developed a routine in the last 6 weeks that is working really well. I was told to find the one thing Rudy loves and to give it to him only after pilling. I discovered the one thing that Rudy really likes is cocktail shrimp. I put 4 tiny little shrimp on a saucer and go into the livingroom and put it on the wingback chair. Rudy jumps up on the chair and I pick him up and place him on the back of the chair standing behind it with him tucked under my armpit. I then stroke his forehead like my vet told me to do, because that is what their moms do. The 1/2 tab Atenol is between my thumb and forefinger and I use my middle finger to open his mouth and put the pill in with just a little bitty piece of shrimp. He then jumps down to eat his shrimp and if he hasn't swallowed his pill it falls on the saucer and I see it and repeat. For about the last week he has been looking forward to his shrimp so much that he precedes me into the livingroom and jumps up on the chair. This morning for the first time he jumped up to his pilling station and awaited me.

      Susan
      lois_051958 <ljones432@...> wrote:Hi all,
      I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
      have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
      I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
      then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his mouth
      that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
      are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have four
      pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
      the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
      ground turkey.
      I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
      suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
      Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it take
      to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
      compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
      all the pills.
      Can someone please give me any other advice.
      Thanks,
      Lois

    • Karen LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Lois:
        I know how you feel. I had a difficult time pilling Bailey..so much I ended
        up getting his meds compounded into liquid form. I can usually mix it in a
        little can food and he eats it. Sometimes he gets fussy and doesn't eat it.
        That's when I use the syringe. I sit on the floor and wrap my legs around
        his body so he can't back out. I usually wrap a towel around him like a
        bib. Mostly to save my arms from his claws. Then I tilt his head back and
        insert the syringe through the side of his mouth. If you do it straight
        back, it might choke him if the liquid goes down too fast.

        Also, a lot of people here have had good luck using empty gel caps to put
        the meds in so you only have to pill once.

        Whatever method you end up using, it will take a little time but it will get
        easier and become just another part of your daily routine. Most of the
        kitties get used to it eventually.

        The pharmacy I use can compound some meds into a chewy treat form also.
        There are several flavors to choose from. It's BCP Pharmacy and their no.
        is (713) 771-1144. I think they have a web site also that may have a toll
        free number. I tried them on Bailey. He didn't care for them but some cats
        really go for it. If you still have problems after trying various things,
        you can get some of the meds in a transdermal gel that you just rub into the
        skin inside the ear. The down side is that doctors don't really know yet
        how much of the medicine actually gets absorbed. There are studies being
        done now.

        Hope this helps and just hang in there, it will get easier.

        -Karen

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • bcowell
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Lois,
          I know it is awful to have to fight your Gizmo so much to pill him. I
          don't know that there is any other way in the beginning. My baby Bobo
          fought furiously for at least the first week, probably two or three.
          I think the first week was the most intense and so upsetting. I think
          he thought we were trying to torture him. What I found helped was to
          find a treat he liked to give after the pilling ordeal. It seemed to
          communicate to Bobo that we were not trying to be horrible, and I
          think what made him start to struggle less.
          I hate to say it, but you probably just have to try every way that
          has been suggested to you before you find the method that works with
          Gizmo.
          I hope it gets easier soon,
          Brigitte

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
          > have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
          > I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
          > then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his
          mouth
          > that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
          > are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have
          four
          > pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
          > the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
          > ground turkey.
          > I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
          > suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
          > Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it
          take
          > to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
          > compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
          > all the pills.
          > Can someone please give me any other advice.
          > Thanks,
          > Lois
        • pussiqatt
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
            Hi Lois,

            I just wanted to post words of encouragement. It's a shock to our
            little furballs to suddenly have pills shoved down their throats, so
            naturally they resist for awhile. I don't know about the rest of
            you, but Boris is spoiled rotten and has rarely been required to do
            anything he hates. He exhibited all the typical behaviors, including
            hiding from us, hissing even without provocation, growling and acting
            hurt, emotional problems, etc. We were lucky in that this only
            lasted about 2 weeks.

            When I first started I was just as emotional and I know Boris sensed
            this. After about a week of crying and feeling frustrated, I calmed
            myself down and became rather stoic. I just decided that I wasn't
            going to get upset, that this had to be done and that was that. When
            I'd do it wrong and Boris would start hissing, I'd just talk to him
            sensibly about why this had to work. He calmed down right after that.

            The suggestions offered here are terrific. We found that holding
            Boris between the legs with the back feet crossed so he can't weasel
            out backwards works wonders. Pulling the head backwards while
            holding the cheekbones area supposedly makes the jaw drop open
            naturally. This isn't the case with Boris, our little fighter, but
            maybe it works with Gizmo. With the other hand you can drop or use a
            pill shooter to put the pill at the back of the tongue so it doesn't
            taste. Then shut the mouth and stroke the throat.

            So if that doesn't work, liquids are easier to get inside through the
            corner of the mouth, and they can be compounded with flavors, or do
            try the compounded "treats". Unfortunately Boris and many other cats
            are too smart for their own good and smell the meds in the treats.
            Some cats like the unmedicated samples but immediately smell the meds
            once they're added. We wasted $30 on them, but it was worth the
            gamble just in case it worked.

            Lastly, with multiple meds gelcaps are a must, the less times you
            pill Gizmo the easier he'll accept this new routine.

            Don't get discouraged, cats naturally resist any change, but
            especially if that change isn't fun. Not reacting to kitty's
            emotions, doing it at the same time each day, and rewarding Gizmo
            right afterwards with his favorite treat should eventually work.
            Boris is very treat oriented, so we practically shove his treat in
            his mouth as soon as the pill is down. He especially loves Whisker
            Lickins and we don't give them to him any other time. This really
            works for him. Plus you don't want to give pills on an empty stomach.

            Good luck, keep at it and it will eventually work. I know that's
            easy for me to say, but you will succeed.

            Also, I was encouraged when you sent the numbers for Gizmo's heart
            rate, it's very low which is terrific. If some of the bigger pills
            aren't necessary, maybe you should wait a month until he's used to
            the routine? Just a suggestion.

            Maureen & Boris