Re: [FH] (no subject)

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi Nancy,

      Lots of cats outlive predications. I have a friend whose cats was born
      with severe cat problems; the vet said the cat wouldn't live a year. The
      cat has never seen a cardiologist, but she is now 14 years old; she still
      has a heart problem and tires very easily, but she is alive and happy.

      In *human* studies, atenolol depressed the levels of CoQ10 in the boday.
      Older people are more at risk, since the levels of CoQ10 already drop as we
      age. Maybe this is not necessary because Samantha is young. Ask the vet
      if CoQ10 would hurt her; if not, I would supplement a little.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        Lisa, I cannot imagine the pain but do not beat yourself up. James Van Praagh and Sonya Fitzpatrick both say there are no accidents. It was her time to go. Try very hard to remember that and know that Bean and his mom are together again. Lisa W.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
          Hi Patricia,

          In a message dated 6/19/04 12:19:09 PM, sydneyluv9@... writes:

          << Sydney, my HCM kitty, isn't doing too well -- he has a flea allergy, and
          though I do my best to control fleas (I don't use Advantage anymore on him --
          it
          really makes him miserable, so flea contol since he's gotten sick is a
          challenge) >>

          What are you using? There are effective, nontoxic products to control fleas
          in the environment, which is where fleas live (they only feed intermittently on
          the host animal). For outdoors, there are beneficial nematodes that prey on
          flea larvae (and other pests), from such suppliers as www.gardensalive.com. For
          indoors, there are borate products, such as www.fleabusters.com and
          www.drgoodpet.com.

          << In the past, my vet and I treated him with dexasone (I assume this is
          dexamethasone), but I thought I read somewhere that steroids shouldn't be
          used
          on HCM kitties >>

          Corticosteroids should be used very judiciously on any animal, as they
          essentialy turn off the immune system's reaction and therefore have the potential
          for a range of significant short- and long-term side effects.

          << I'm at a loss about what to do for him. >>

          Unfortunately, conventional medicine has limited options (basically steroids)
          to treat "allergic" inflammatory response. However, complementary medicine
          has a number of options. Perhaps the most direct and effective is NAET; see
          www.vetnaet.com for information and a list of practitioners (this is the same
          technique used for treating the IBD that your cat has). There are also various
          homeopathics used for flea reactions and various nutraceuticals that support the
          body's immune response and skin. // Rosemary
        • Iben
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2004
            My mild case HCM cat Nadia is allergic to flee control systems and had skinproblems and got prednisone shots. She got worse all the time.

            Switching to homeopathic remedies helped her a lot, but of course it doesn't kill the fleas.

            But to give her strength ( and it has helped so much ) we give her crategus, omega 3+6+9 fish oils, taurine and microtrace minerals.

            Iben & Nadia