(no subject)

  • JoyOfSiamese@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
      Gentle Folk,

      Today I drove 2 hours one way in order to take Samantha-Joy to the
      Verterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at UC Davis. They did an EKG and
      ultrasound on her - Even recorded the sound of her heart murmur. This is
      what was written in her Discharge Instructions.

      "We have diagnosed Samanthajoy with Herpertrophic Cardiomyopathy. This is a
      condition that is often hereditary in purebreed cats or purebreed crosses and
      is characterized by thickened walls of he heart. Samanthajoy's heart disease
      is SERVERE and wil progress with time. There are three potential concerns
      with Samantha's disease. Cats with HCM are at risk of sudden death. She
      also may throw a blood clot which may manifest as the inability to use her
      rear limbs. Lastly, she may have difficulty breathing, indicating that she
      may be in heart failure."

      I asked how long Samantha-Joy had to live. I was told that patients with her
      state of severity usually live 15 months. When I heard those words, I was
      stunned, devastated. After all, my younger brother, was born with a heart
      murmur and didn't die until he was 37 years old, and that was because he
      smoked 3 packs a day. I thought it would be the same with Samantha-Joy.
      That all I'd need to do is feed her raw food, give her vitamins and herbs,
      and she would live to be 5 or 6 years old, instead of the 15 or 16 years my
      other cats so easily reached. But according to the vet we'll be lucky if
      Samantha-Joy reaches two years before she dies.

      The vet gave me 3 months worth of Atenolol as well as a new experimental drug
      called Enalapril. This is an experimental drug that the hospital is doing a
      study on. I'm not to begin using it until I get the go-ahead from them (when
      the kidney values come in). I asked if it was OK to continue giving CoQ10
      and taurine. She said that they are not indicated for Samanth-Joy's
      condition. They are best used for cats with hypotrophic cardiomyopathy, not
      hypertrohic cardiomyopathy.

      May the Creator/Creatress watch over you and your beloved felines.
      Nancy Lion-Storm, and:
      Confidence-on-a-Rainy-Day (17 yr.)
      Lucky-To-Be-Alive (12 yr.)
      Fortune-Silver-Cloud (6 y.r.)
      Samantha-Joy-Queen-of-Heaven (9 mo.)
      Cassandra-Joy-Soothsayer-Mystic-Seeress (6 mo.)
      And in memory of angel cats:
      General-Chauncey-Beardsly-Peddleton-the-Third (d. 10/17/1986)
      History-Repeats-Herself (d. 4/10/2001)
      Jasmin-Pretty-Cat-Calico-Persian-Extraordinaire (d. 1/21/2002)
    • soupbone7420
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2002
        What is the difference between hypotrophic & hypertrophic? Bob has
        HCM which is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He has been taking CoQ10
        & Feline Cardiac Support supplements for 6 weeks as prescribed by
        his vet. His his recent echo showed improvement of heart function &
        reduction in size. Bob has moderate HCM. Check out the links
        section of this group for much information on hypertrophic
        cardiomyopathy. I have not heard of any kitty in this group with
        Hypotrophic. Are there any here? Many kitties in this group take
        CoQ10 for HCM. Most vets are very pessimistic about HCM. Bob's vet
        said 1 month to 10 years after his diagnosis. There are other cats
        on this list that also take Enalapril also known as ENACARD or
        VASOTEC which is an ACE inhibitor. I wasn't aware that it is
        experimental. Atenolol is a beta blocker. There is plenty of info
        regarding both of these drugs. You can do a search on Google. Hope
        Samantha-Joy feels better soon. We are sending healing thoughts of
        love & peace to you & Samantha-Joy.

        Lots of Kitty Kisses,
        Myra & Bob

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          JoyOfSiamese@... wrote: I asked if it was OK to continue giving CoQ10
          and taurine. She said that they are not indicated for Samanth-Joy's
          condition. They are best used for cats with hypotrophic cardiomyopathy, not
          hypertrohic cardiomyopathy

          I think what they mean by hypotrophic is actually dilated cardiomyopathy which is seen seldom since the discovery thta it was due to a taurine defficiency and cat foods were modified. Some cats may be genetically susceptiple to taurine defficiency and if that is the case their cardiomtopathy is reversible.

        • bcowell
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
            Nancy Lion-Storm,

            I know that feeling of despair when you realize your treasured
            companion will be here for so little time. My Bobo has restrictive
            cardiomyopathy and for this the prognosis is 3-12 months. I don't
            think I have yet accepted this properly. In fact I will be taking
            Bobo to UC Davis on Wednesday for a second opinion.

            All you can do is appreciate Samantha-Joy for as long as she lasts on
            earth with you. I think we are just lucky to meet them at all...

            Brigitte