Problems pilling Gizmo

  • lois_051958
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31 7:41 PM
      Hi all,
      I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
      have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
      I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
      then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his mouth
      that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
      are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have four
      pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
      the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
      ground turkey.
      I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
      suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
      Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it take
      to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
      compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
      all the pills.
      Can someone please give me any other advice.
      Thanks,
      Lois
    • diane
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31 8:08 PM
        Lois,

        I've been lucky that my cats were easy to pill (except the fairly
        healthy ferals.)

        What I did when Frisky was being ornery is check with my vet on what
        was most important and go from there. With CRF certain pills worked
        better with food, others did not.

        I also got some gelcaps which helped a lot, I could put a number of
        pills in one capsule.

        Probably what is best for both of you now is to sit down, take a deep
        breath and relax. :)

        I think someone mentioned a compounding pharmacy that sent samples?
        And if you find the name, let us know, I should get samples in
        advance!

        Diane

        >Hi all,
        >I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
        >have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
        >I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
        >then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his mouth
        >that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
        >are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have four
        >pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
        >the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
        >ground turkey.
        >I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
        >suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
        >Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it take
        >to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
        >compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
        >all the pills.
        >Can someone please give me any other advice.
        >Thanks,
        >Lois

      • Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Hi Lois,

          First, practice with the syringe to get used to squirting slowly. Use
          plain babyfood to practice it.

          Can you get Gizmo into the corner of the couch? You can hold him with your
          hip/leg, and then you have two hands free to pill him.

          Linda

          > I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
          > have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
          > I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
          > then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his mouth
          > that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
          > are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have four
          > pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
          > the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
          > ground turkey.
          > I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
          > suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
          > Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it take
          > to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
          > compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
          > all the pills.
          > Can someone please give me any other advice.
          > Thanks,
          > Lois

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            Lois,
            I have developed a routine in the last 6 weeks that is working really well. I was told to find the one thing Rudy loves and to give it to him only after pilling. I discovered the one thing that Rudy really likes is cocktail shrimp. I put 4 tiny little shrimp on a saucer and go into the livingroom and put it on the wingback chair. Rudy jumps up on the chair and I pick him up and place him on the back of the chair standing behind it with him tucked under my armpit. I then stroke his forehead like my vet told me to do, because that is what their moms do. The 1/2 tab Atenol is between my thumb and forefinger and I use my middle finger to open his mouth and put the pill in with just a little bitty piece of shrimp. He then jumps down to eat his shrimp and if he hasn't swallowed his pill it falls on the saucer and I see it and repeat. For about the last week he has been looking forward to his shrimp so much that he precedes me into the livingroom and jumps up on the chair. This morning for the first time he jumped up to his pilling station and awaited me.

            Susan
            lois_051958 <ljones432@...> wrote:Hi all,
[...]

          • Karen LeBlanc
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              Lois:
              I know how you feel. I had a difficult time pilling Bailey..so much I ended
              up getting his meds compounded into liquid form. I can usually mix it in a
              little can food and he eats it. Sometimes he gets fussy and doesn't eat it.
              That's when I use the syringe. I sit on the floor and wrap my legs around
              his body so he can't back out. I usually wrap a towel around him like a
              bib. Mostly to save my arms from his claws. Then I tilt his head back and
              insert the syringe through the side of his mouth. If you do it straight
              back, it might choke him if the liquid goes down too fast.

              Also, a lot of people here have had good luck using empty gel caps to put
              the meds in so you only have to pill once.

              Whatever method you end up using, it will take a little time but it will get
              easier and become just another part of your daily routine. Most of the
              kitties get used to it eventually.

              The pharmacy I use can compound some meds into a chewy treat form also.
              There are several flavors to choose from. It's BCP Pharmacy and their no.
              is (713) 771-1144. I think they have a web site also that may have a toll
              free number. I tried them on Bailey. He didn't care for them but some cats
              really go for it. If you still have problems after trying various things,
              you can get some of the meds in a transdermal gel that you just rub into the
              skin inside the ear. The down side is that doctors don't really know yet
              how much of the medicine actually gets absorbed. There are studies being
              done now.

              Hope this helps and just hang in there, it will get easier.

              -Karen

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • bcowell
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
                Lois,
                I know it is awful to have to fight your Gizmo so much to pill him. I
                don't know that there is any other way in the beginning. My baby Bobo
                fought furiously for at least the first week, probably two or three.
                I think the first week was the most intense and so upsetting. I think
                he thought we were trying to torture him. What I found helped was to
                find a treat he liked to give after the pilling ordeal. It seemed to
                communicate to Bobo that we were not trying to be horrible, and I
                think what made him start to struggle less.
                I hate to say it, but you probably just have to try every way that
                has been suggested to you before you find the method that works with
                Gizmo.
                I hope it gets easier soon,
                Brigitte

                --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                > I am having a really rough night trying to give Gizmo his pills. I
                > have been trying on and off for 4 hours. I am almost in tears.
                > I bought baby food and mixed supps in that. He wouldn't eat it. I
                > then put it in a feeding syringe. It squirted so fast into his
                mouth
                > that it freaked him out and he hid for a while. Some of the pills
                > are so big I dont have the heart to try the pill pusher. I have
                four
                > pills (all supps) and 3-5 drops of another supp. I managed to get
                > the atenolol in him because it is so tiny by mixing it in his raw
                > ground turkey.
                > I also tried to lay him on his back on my legs, as some one
                > suggested, he squirmed like crazy.
                > Did eveyone go through this in the beginning. How long does it
                take
                > to finally get a method down? I am thinking of getting the supps
                > compounded, but what if he doesn't like it. I will wind up wasting
                > all the pills.
                > Can someone please give me any other advice.
                > Thanks,
                > Lois
              • pussiqatt
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                  Hi Lois,

                  I just wanted to post words of encouragement. It's a shock to our
                  little furballs to suddenly have pills shoved down their throats, so
                  naturally they resist for awhile. I don't know about the rest of
                  you, but Boris is spoiled rotten and has rarely been required to do
                  anything he hates. He exhibited all the typical behaviors, including
                  hiding from us, hissing even without provocation, growling and acting
                  hurt, emotional problems, etc. We were lucky in that this only
                  lasted about 2 weeks.

                  When I first started I was just as emotional and I know Boris sensed
                  this. After about a week of crying and feeling frustrated, I calmed
                  myself down and became rather stoic. I just decided that I wasn't
                  going to get upset, that this had to be done and that was that. When
                  I'd do it wrong and Boris would start hissing, I'd just talk to him
                  sensibly about why this had to work. He calmed down right after that.

                  The suggestions offered here are terrific. We found that holding
                  Boris between the legs with the back feet crossed so he can't weasel
                  out backwards works wonders. Pulling the head backwards while
                  holding the cheekbones area supposedly makes the jaw drop open
                  naturally. This isn't the case with Boris, our little fighter, but
                  maybe it works with Gizmo. With the other hand you can drop or use a
                  pill shooter to put the pill at the back of the tongue so it doesn't
                  taste. Then shut the mouth and stroke the throat.

                  So if that doesn't work, liquids are easier to get inside through the
                  corner of the mouth, and they can be compounded with flavors, or do
                  try the compounded "treats". Unfortunately Boris and many other cats
                  are too smart for their own good and smell the meds in the treats.
                  Some cats like the unmedicated samples but immediately smell the meds
                  once they're added. We wasted $30 on them, but it was worth the
                  gamble just in case it worked.

                  Lastly, with multiple meds gelcaps are a must, the less times you
                  pill Gizmo the easier he'll accept this new routine.

                  Don't get discouraged, cats naturally resist any change, but
                  especially if that change isn't fun. Not reacting to kitty's
                  emotions, doing it at the same time each day, and rewarding Gizmo
                  right afterwards with his favorite treat should eventually work.
                  Boris is very treat oriented, so we practically shove his treat in
                  his mouth as soon as the pill is down. He especially loves Whisker
                  Lickins and we don't give them to him any other time. This really
                  works for him. Plus you don't want to give pills on an empty stomach.

                  Good luck, keep at it and it will eventually work. I know that's
                  easy for me to say, but you will succeed.

                  Also, I was encouraged when you sent the numbers for Gizmo's heart
                  rate, it's very low which is terrific. If some of the bigger pills
                  aren't necessary, maybe you should wait a month until he's used to
                  the routine? Just a suggestion.

                  Maureen & Boris