Precious diagnosed with Diabetes

  • Christy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      My 9 yr. old kitty, Precious, who also has mild HCM, was diagnosed
      with diabetes today. I'm so sad and overwhelmed. We have already
      gone through so much with her this year. I just hope we can manage
      her disease. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I am in
      the same sort of shock that I was in when she was diagnosed with HCM,
      but this time it feels so much worse. I'm just starting to feel like
      there's not much hope for her and I really feel down and "whipped" by
      all her medical problems. We are just now coming to terms with her
      HCM. Now everything seems much worse and more complicated. If any
      of you have diabetic cats, any suggestions or encouragement would be
      greatly appreciated right now. I know I will "bounce back" and we
      will do what we need to do, but I just feel so overwhelmed and so
      unprepared to go through the whole process of getting her regulated
      on insulin, etc. I love my little baby more than anything, and I
      know I will become determined and prepared to fight, but I'm just
      down for now.....

      Please send us some hope....we need it right now.

      Christy & Presh
    • lpenny1960
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        Christy,

        I can offer lots of hope! One of my cats, Lucky, had two rounds of
        diabetes, along with other problems that included HCM. I was very
        shocked and scared, but we were able to manage it with twice-daily
        shots, Ketodiastix (strips to test for sugar and ketones in the
        urine), and lots of Internet research. The biggest thing to watch out
        for is hypoglycemia--giving too much insulin.

        Check out www.felinediabetes.com. There's an excellent message board
        and lots of useful information.

        As far as the HCM, cats can live for years. Kassy, 18, is hitting the
        5-year mark since diagnosis, with no progression at all. Lucky died
        this past summer from cancer, but her HCM never caused her any
        problems in the 4.5 years she had it.

        Let me know if you have more questions.

        Laura, Angel Lucky, Kassy, and Angel Annie
      • targa66
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          hi Christy -

          Just wanted to send thoughts of encouragement along. My aunt has a
          diabetic kitty, who has responded very well to insulin. I understand
          he is as active & happy as he always was. He barely notices the
          injections - I think it's more troubling to us than to the cat. Hang
          in there! Hugs to Precious.

          -Shelly

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Christy" <christyandpresh@y...> wrote:
          > My 9 yr. old kitty, Precious, who also has mild HCM, was diagnosed
          > with diabetes today. I'm so sad and overwhelmed. We have already
          > gone through so much with her this year. I just hope we can manage
          > her disease. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I am in
          > the same sort of shock that I was in when she was diagnosed with
          HCM,
          > but this time it feels so much worse. I'm just starting to feel
          like
          > there's not much hope for her and I really feel down and "whipped"
          by
          > all her medical problems. We are just now coming to terms with her
          > HCM. Now everything seems much worse and more complicated. If any
          > of you have diabetic cats, any suggestions or encouragement would
          be
          > greatly appreciated right now. I know I will "bounce back" and we
          > will do what we need to do, but I just feel so overwhelmed and so
          > unprepared to go through the whole process of getting her regulated
          > on insulin, etc. I love my little baby more than anything, and I
          > know I will become determined and prepared to fight, but I'm just
          > down for now.....
          >
          > Please send us some hope....we need it right now.
          >
          > Christy & Presh
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
            Christy,
            I had a diabetic cat. Sylvester actually posed for his insulin. Being IV I think it must have been instantaneous and he associated his shot with feeling better. I also do not think they have much feeling in the back oftheir necks. So it was a lot easier than I anticpipated.
            Susan
            Christy <christyandpresh@...> wrote:My 9 yr. old kitty, Precious, who also has mild HCM, was diagnosed

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
              Thanks for your kind thoughts and words....

              Christy & Presh