Re: Kitten with Tetralogy of Fallot

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2002
      Hi Marja,

      Please keep trying to adopt Freja; anyone who says "it's just a cat"
      doesn't deserve to be owned by one! Maybe if the breeders understood
      how serious her condition is and how much time and $ it could take,
      they'll change their minds. Elvis seemed perfectly healthy at first,
      but then had to get several expensive tests once his murmur was
      diagnosed. Of course, those of us who love these kitties know that
      it is the least we can do for them, after all that they give us. I
      also had to feed Elvis with a syringe for several weeks when he
      wouldn't eat. And, I HATE to say this, but kittens with TofF can
      have a life expectancy of only 12-18 months. Luckily, there are
      exceptions to this, as Carrie and Wolfy demonstrate. At any rate,
      little Freja deserves to be in a loving, caring home where she is
      not "just a cat". Maybe you could print out the messages that Carrie
      and I and others have posted and show them to the breeders so they'll
      understand. Take care of yourself and your kitties. Many kitty
      kisses -

      Beth & the purr-faces
      Trace, Lily, Iris, Miles, Rusty, Chloe, Viper, Delilah, Anaka,
      Rachael, Dragon, and Elvis

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "marjafreja" <marja.salminen@w...> wrote:
      > Hi Beth,
      > Thank you for your response, which together with Carrie's messages
      > has helped us tremendously to understand what taking on the
      > responsibility of caring for a sick kitten would mean.
      > We have decided we want her, but unforunately her breeders want to
      > keep her too. I'm worried they don't see the seriousness of the
      > situation. Freja seems like any healthy kitten now, you see, except
      > she is very small. And they have actually used the phrase: it's
      just
      > a cat - which really made me sick to my stomach. I fear that
      they'll
      > either not notice or ignore when Freja starts having symptoms.
      > But this is probably getting boring.
      > Anyway, thanks. It was nice to read about your other cats and their
      > attitude towards Elvis.
      > We dropped some very heavy hints when we picked up Freja's brother
      > Boris last week and we will keep trying to get her, but I'm not
      > putting much hope into that anymore.
      > Greetings,
      > Marja & Oscar, Tristan, Merel and Boris
      > P.S. I originally come from Finland actually and have lived in The
      > Netherlands for 5 years now, specifically in Haarlem and now in
      > Amsterdam.
      > --- In feline-heart@y..., "Beth" <ba_ackerman@y...> wrote:
      > > Marja,
      > >
      > > My Ragdoll kitten has a ventricular septal defect, which is also
      > part
      > > of Tetralogy of Fallot. In my research, I have learned that
      these
      > > are congenital heart defects, believed to be hereditary, as they
      > are
      > > most common in Siamese, Maine Coons, and Ragdolls, and seem to be
      > > more common in male kittens. The interesting thing here is that
      > you
      > > mentioned that Freja is a product of brother/sister parents; my
      > > kitten is also from an accidental breeding between a brother and
      > > sister, so there must be something to this.
      > >
      > > I have 11 other cats, and they are all very gentle with little
      > Elvis,
      > > with the exception of his brother, who doesn't seem to know any
      > > better. The adult cats do not attempt to play with him, but are
      > > always licking him and are very loving. I really do believe that
      > > they know there is something wrong.
      > >
      > > I hope that you decide to adopt little Freja; it sounds like you
      > are
      > > a loving, caring person, which is what this little girl needs.
      Let