Stress and HCM

  • lois_051958
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2002
      A thought came to mind when I was reading some of the responses on
      ferals which made me think about stress and the effects it has on the
      heart. Does anyone think that too many cats in one household (which
      could be stressful on the younger ones since they are not the
      dominant cat) could have anything to do with bringing on early HCM.
      Gizmo definitely cowers away from my older cats. He is very cautious
      when he walks past them because he knows he might get a swat. Does
      anyone think I should separate him from the others?
      Any thoughts?
      Lois
    • lorkatz2004
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
        Per the feline health list..........

        Cathy

        Re: [FAN-H] Stress "bringing out" HCM

        No, it's not that stress directly affects the gene. But if changes in
        the heart have begun, stress can make things worse.

        > Thank you, Jan,
        >
        > This is very helpful. What I meant to ask was if the cat is not
        > clinically showing signs of HCM, can a stressful situation cause the
        > gene to "break through" and begin expressing itself (whereas before
        > the cat did not appear to have HCM, although maybe was dx with the HCM
        > gene(s)).
        >
        > Thank you for any clarification you or others can shed on this.
      • Lynda Doty
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 19, 2013
          Since Martha's diagnosis of HCM 1-1/2 years ago, I try so hard not to let her get upset. It doesn't always work out and things can really stress her out. What do I watch for when she is so stressed? Will she have a heart attack? How will I know if the stress is causing heart problems?
          Like this morning, our other cat, a playful young one, flat jumped on Martha with all his weight. Everybody panicked and Martha started growling, and now she is just lying on the floor. I don't know if she is in any distress, or just resting, or what. She seems okay but cats can hide so much. These heart issues are overwhelming.

          Blessings,
          Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.
        • Elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2013
            Hi

            Make sure Martha has her own place she can hide in. Mili and Trixi, my sickest heart cats , are the only two allowed in my bedroom so they know they're safe up there. They ask to go up and meow to come down. You can tell distress by increased breathing rate and deeper breaths than normal. Have you tried Feliway diffuser? You plug it in and it makes all the cats so much more relaxed. I know some here have used the Bach rescue remedy, I tried that with Toby, but not with a heart cat yet.