cardiomyopathy & kidney disease

  • Celia
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
      Hi, I just discovered this list a few minutes ago! But, I have to be
      honest--I don't have a cat, but a ferret. While I've also discovered
      a list for ferrets with cardiomyopathy, it's quite a bit smaller and
      I feel I may find more help here initially. Is this okay? I'm
      very "quiet", and won't "clog" up your list with ferret stuff, I
      promise! I know ferrets aren't cats, but there are similarities in
      the medical conditions.

      So--does anyone have any experience treating for cardiomyopathy and
      kidney disease? My girl has had kidney disease for maybe 6 months
      now, and it has been well managed with sub-cutaneous fluids every
      other day or so. Now she has just been diagnosed with hypertrophic
      cardiomyopathy! Her belly is distended with fluid, and she is
      lethargic and uncomfortable. She just started diltiazem for the
      heart. (Anyone else take this?) My vet did not want to give her
      lasix because of her kidneys. And I have to keep giving her fluids.
      (although he said I could give slightly less volume of fluids, or
      slightly less frequently). I really feel like I'm stuck here. She
      hates getting fluids more than ever--and no wonder! Has anyone else
      had this particular combination of problems? I'd really appreciate
      any comments at all! Thanks!
      Celia
    • cynthia rausch
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
        Celia wrote:
        Her belly is distended with fluid, and she is lethargic and
        uncomfortable. She just started diltiazem for the heart. (Anyone else
        take this?) My vet did not want to give her lasix because of her
        kidneys. And I have to keep giving her fluids.

        Hi Celia,

        I'm sorry to hear about your sweet littleone. I'm sure they must
        do the same things to ferret too. I know that you have to be really
        careful with fluid thearpy with heart problems.

        How much does she weigh? And how much fluids are you giving her?
        What does she eat, wet or dry?

        You may want to ask your vet about giving a diuretic. I know that
        smaller doses of fluids and more often are suggested with kitty's
        with renal failure.

        Can you forward a copy of her blood values? This will help us better
        in helping you.

        Keep us posted,

        Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2000
          Welcome to the list, though I wish you didn't need to be here.

          As far as I'm concerned, you are more than welcome to participate as you see
          fit. I have no idea how similar the treatments for cats & ferrets are, but
          as long as you speak tp your vet before doing anything, I would think this
          list could be benefecial.

          As far as treating cardiomypoathy & CRF, you will find many people on this
          list doing just that. I hope their advice is helpful for you & your furry
          friend.

          Please keep us informed ....