Supplements

  • zellenecats
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2002
      I've done a lot of research on COQ10 and have found a lot of
      documented studies on humans showing the benefits of using COQ10 for
      cardiac patients. I don't know if the same magnitude of info is
      available for cats, but so many of us are using it successfully that
      I wouldn't hesitate. Widgie gets 30 mgs of a Solgar softgel...I
      pierce it and squeeze out the liquid into her supplement mix in baby
      food. With this, she also gets a fatty acid supplement. COQ10 is best
      absorbed when given with oils. I also mix in her arthritis supps and
      a few times a week, some liquid E, taurine, or B vitamins. BUT if I
      had to choose only ONE supp, it would be the COQ10.

      I am supposed to give her Potassium, but it's hard on her tummy even
      when I mix it with food. I'm not sure how to get around this problem.

      I have tried Missing Link for cats but they really didn't like it.
      I'm going to check out the cardiac version and see if there is
      anything in it that I haven't already covered in my supps.

      You may have difficulty getting the Standard Process directly from
      them because they sell only to chiropractors and the like. I got mine
      by calling www.backcare-center.com and saying it was for my cat.They
      sell at a discount, too. Some of the sites that sell Standard
      Process make you fill out a questionnaire, assuming you are ordering
      for yourself.

    • paula_ps2002
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2002
        With regard to giving potassium,why don't you look into foods
        containing high levels. I know that parsley tea is high in
        potassium, and it's also a diuretic. I give my cat four teaspoons a
        day in his food. Very easy - just get dried organic parsley and add
        1 teaspoon to about 1/3 cup of boiling water. Let it stand for about
        15 minutes, and then strain into a jar. Screw on the lid, and keep
        in the fridge. Also carrot is high in potassium - grate this and
        then blend into a mush, and mix a little in with the cat's food -
        don't cook the carrot as you destroy a lot of the nutritional value.
        Bananas are also high, but I have to admit I haven't used them - I
        did see a raw food recipe which included mashed bananas - you might
        be able to get them down with some live organic yogurt - my other cat
        certainly liked flavoured yogurt. It's worth a try. Anything that's
        less harsh on the stomach is worth giving a go.

        Best wishes

        Paula and Oscar
        --- In feline-heart@y..., "zellenecats" <zellene.sandler@p...> wrote:
        > I've done a lot of research on COQ10 and have found a lot of
        > documented studies on humans showing the benefits of using COQ10
        for
        > cardiac patients. I don't know if the same magnitude of info is
        > available for cats, but so many of us are using it successfully
        that
        > I wouldn't hesitate. Widgie gets 30 mgs of a Solgar softgel...I
        > pierce it and squeeze out the liquid into her supplement mix in
        baby
        > food. With this, she also gets a fatty acid supplement. COQ10 is
        best
        > absorbed when given with oils. I also mix in her arthritis supps
        and
        > a few times a week, some liquid E, taurine, or B vitamins. BUT if I
        > had to choose only ONE supp, it would be the COQ10.
        >
        > I am supposed to give her Potassium, but it's hard on her tummy
        even
        > when I mix it with food. I'm not sure how to get around this
        problem.

        > I have tried Missing Link for cats but they really didn't like it.
        > I'm going to check out the cardiac version and see if there is
        > anything in it that I haven't already covered in my supps.
        >
        > You may have difficulty getting the Standard Process directly from
        > them because they sell only to chiropractors and the like. I got
        mine
        > by calling www.backcare-center.com and saying it was for my
        cat.They
        > sell at a discount, too. Some of the sites that sell Standard
        > Process make you fill out a questionnaire, assuming you are
        ordering
        > for yourself.

      • g minnier
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2004
          My Bud is on Atenolol, 1/4 tab per 24 hours. I'm also supplementing with
          CoQ10, 20 mgs. per day; taurine, 600 mg. per day; and fish oil, 600 mg. per
          day. I have no idea what amount is good/helpful/safe? My main vet admits
          to being clueless regarding supplements (she's really a very good vet but so
          far, has not explored alternative medicine much). I have another mobile vet
          who is more versed in holisitic/homeopathic treatments but he has been out
          of town for weeks . . . Anyone have comments regarding the levels I'm
          currently giving? I haven't investigated L-carnitine yet so if you have any
          info on that, I'd also appreciate it. Thanks - I'm learning a lot from this
          list and Bud is still asymptomatic (I don't think he knows he has HCM so I'm
          not telling . . . .)
          Gwen and the 3 cats in Phoenix

          Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking!
        • TanyaIrw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20, 2005
            Hi all--
            I posted last week about my Felix, my 12-year-old HCM kitty who is on
            Atenolol and doing quite well. I'd like to get some more feedback
            about supplements. I am firm believer in "integrative" medicine, both
            for cats, dogs and humans!

            First, do any of you use Pet Tinic? I used that for my 18-year-old
            CRF kitty, Kiki, who recently had to be helped to the bridge because of
            cancer. It's more or less a multi-vitamin. It has iron, copper,
            thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. Is there any
            reason HCM kitties can't have it?

            I've read with interest what folks have said about COQ10, Omega fatty
            acids, L-carnitine, taurine and multi-vitamins.

            I'm wondering about what dosages I should use. Felix weighs about 10
            pounds. (Someone said 120 mg of COQ10, but I'm not sure what size cat
            they have.)

            What are the best sources of these supplements in cat-sized dosages?
            I've got a great pill cutter so I can always buy caplets or tablets and
            spilt them. Are there some brands that work best for this that you all
            have found? (I did this with the potassium my Kiki got and I found one
            tablet had a nice coating on it that made it split so much easier!!
            Took some trial and error, though.)

            I'll probably run whatever I decide to try by my vet just make sure
            nothing is conta-indicated for a kitty who also has high kidney levels
            (Felix's are getting up there.).

            Thanks in advance for your feedback!

            Purrs,
            Tanya
          • Lisa Clarizia
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 20, 2005
              Hi Tanya (and Felix),

              You'll find that lots of us on the list are taking an integrative approach
              -- I personally feel my kitty, Baby Boy (DCM, 1 week shy of his 1 year
              diagnosis anniversary) wouldn't be alive today without his supplements (and
              meds).

              I don't use Pet Tinic, but Baby Boy's getting all of those vitamins/minerals
              as well as the omega-3 fatty acids. He has DCM, but as far as I know, none
              are contraindicated for HCM, and should help support his heart function and
              general health. I don't know about the kidneys, which is why it's a good
              idea to ask your vet.

              As for q10, taurine, and carnitine, I highly recommend them. The basic
              dosage for taurine and carnitine is 250 to 500 mg daily. The tablets come in
              the form of gigantic horse pills, so I suggest you crush them and mix them
              in food, if possible. There are liquid preparations available, which are a
              *lot* easier to work with. I get most of my supplements at the Vitamin
              Shoppe (because they have a program where if you spend X amount you get X
              amount back at the end of the year as a gift certificate) but I also go to
              GNC as well. I don't fuss with brands too much, except I tend to stick with
              NatureMade capsules for the q10 because it's easiest for me to work with.

              As for the q10 -- Baby Boy is getting 200 mg daily (100 mg 2X per day). As
              far as anyone knows, it's non-toxic (and is also alleged to help kidney
              function) in large doses. However -- Baby Boy is *very* symptomatic and is
              getting that much because:

              1.) My review of the human literature suggests that a *minimum* dose of 400
              mg is necessary to achieve a clinical response in a human (one assumes a 150
              lb male), with many dosing regimens going much higher.

              2.) Baby Boy is a stinker to medicate, all his meds/supplements have to be
              given in liquid form via a syringe and even then he manages to spit some
              out. So, between the loss from the spitting and the loss in the preparation
              process, he's probably getting more like 150 mg. He weighs about 9 lbs.

              If Felix is not symptomatic, you may not need to give him that much. Excess
              won't hurt him, but it probably won't do him any good either, and this stuff
              is not cheap. I would say get him to 30 mg twice a day, and see how he does.

              Coenzyme q10 requires fat for absorbtion, so I suggest using the oil-based
              capsules -- just pierce them open and squeeze out the contents. They tend to
              come in 30, 60, 100, and 200 mg. I use the 100 mg. There are also
              powdered/tablet forms, and they can be used as well, just make sure it's
              given with a meal so there's some fat taken with it.

              Any supplement or food change carries the chance of tummy upsets, so I
              suggest you start slow and add things one at a time. Maybe start with the
              Pet Tinic, then add taurine then carnitine at 125 mg, and work him up to 250
              or 500 mg, then add the q10, starting at 30 mg a day and work your way up.

              I hope that helps and I hope Felix continues to do well!

              Lisa

              --
              Lisa Clarizia
              lclarizia@...

            • millefont1
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 26, 2005
                Hi, everyone---I'm another new member, but a regular on the Feline IBD
                list with Peaseblossom. She is a 6 yr old calico with attitude---and a
                terrible heart. We adopted her in April, 2005 and finally got her IBD
                under control by this summer. In July, we found out the hard way that
                she also has HCM. She barely survived her first crisis with congestive
                heart failure AND kidney failure. Both the nephrologist and the
                cardiologist figured she wouldn't make it, or if she did, that she
                would never recover normal kidney function or any quality of life.
                But she's a little fighter and beat all the odds this time, as she has
                already done with IBD. Her kidney values are normal, and she's doing
                fairly well with her heart so far. In fact, our biggest problem with
                her at the moment is that she keeps harassing and chasing our 4 other
                bigger, healthier, and clearly wimpier cats. As she's gotten stronger
                from all her combined illnesses, she is developing a VERY jealous
                temperament...We call her our little terrorist.

                The vet wanted to wait until she was stronger to put her on meds, but
                after combing the Net and the info on this list (thanks to you all,
                esp. Lisa!), I've already put her on 30 mgs of CoQ10, 250 mgs. of L-
                carnitine, extra salmon oil, and a little extra selenium, B-complex,
                and taurine per day. For her IBD, she was already taking Lyprinol (a
                concentrated omega 3 fatty acid), L-glutamine, and Culturelle
                (probiotic). Some posts also recommend DMG, but I couldn't find any
                dosage info. By the way, we feed all our cats a raw diet we got from
                www.catnutrition.org. Can anyone let me know what the dose for DMG
                should be, and whether there are other supplements we should
                consider? Thanks so much.
                Susan and Peaseblossom (along w/ Wally, Patience, Pippin, and Lily)
              • Cristine Fireheart
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2007
                  Stopped at the vitamin shop, Next to Nature, last night and picked up
                  Magnesium and L-Carnatine. I just started Daisy May on the CoQ10 about a
                  week ago, so I'm not ready to bombard her with more stuff, but my cash
                  flowed a little easier this week, so I waned to have them here when I was
                  ready, since the store is 45 minutes away. It's a really nice place, it's in
                  Hamburg, NY (suburb of Buffalo) incase anyone is near.

                  I also recommend Gifts of Gaia (on Buffalo St in Hamburg) for Flower
                  Essences and herbs. They also have some great guest speakers and classes.

                  So far so good with the CoQ10, I'm giving her 1, 30mg softgel on her food
                  daily, with 2 crushed WellCat tabs (by Wellness). Of course, she is the only
                  one who will not crunch up the tabs like treats. The others will lick the
                  CoQ10 off my fingers when I make a mess too.

                  I put a couple pics of her in the Photos, I'll sort through and find more of
                  the crew later.

                  Blessings,

                  Cristine & Daisy May

                  ~*~*~*~
                  "All roads eventually lead to the Great Path. Many cross on the way."
                  http://www.connectionsreiki.com

                  If I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'll put shoes on my
                  cat.
                • amanda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2007
                    Hi Good luck with the supps! I just took a look at Daisey Mays pics,(love her name) shes gorgeous and read about her going through pregnancy, wow what a strong kitty! Lovely kitties! kitty hugs Amanda and Silver chan.

                  • helen stone
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 18 7:30 AM
                      Dear All,
                      I have a silly question again, I brought Anna some nordic naturals cod liver oil following someones wonderful recommendation of their products on here, now thinking I might have brought the wrong thing, I'm not sure if the gel caps would be better? I think they have vit e, and the cod liver oil has a and D which I'm not sure I should be giving, the D due to her slightly raised phosphate.
                      Also, equally silly, but if anyone knows a web site where I can get her coq 10 and l carnitine I'd really love to know, the ones I have seem to have a lot of additives and weird bases which I'm just not sure I want to pile into her system,
                      Sorry,
                      Thanks so much
                      Helen

                    • ittybiity
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
                        What other supplements and there doses do you recommend. I know coQ10
                        was recommended. Kim