Heart murmur

  • lois_051958
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 19, 2002
      My cat was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur today. He had an
      xray and ekg. The xray did not show any heart enlargement which the
      vet said was good news. I did not get the results of the ekg yet. He
      will be having an ultrasound on Monday. The vet mentioned something
      about cardio myopathy. But we need to have an ultrasound to find out
      what the cause is. Does anyone know if all heart murmurs in cats mean
      that the cat has cardio myopathy? Or is their such a thing as a
      harmless heart murmur. This is all new to me and I am quite upset
      and want to learn as much as I can.
      I would also like to hear from others about treatments their cats are
      on and how they are doing, quality of life, and how many years a cat
      can live with this condition.
      Lois
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 19, 2002
        Lois, you'll be hearing from others, but take comfort in the fact that
        several people on this list have young cats with heart probs and they are
        living happily with it. I personally know someone whose cat had a heart
        murmur discovered at age 3 and he lived to age 12 with no treatment at all.
        Hang in.
        Lynnie
      • lois_051958
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 19, 2002
          Thank you Lynnie, Knowing that is comforting and is easing my stress
          level.
          Every one in this group is wonderful. Thank you all so much for your
          treatable and not a death sentence. I will keep praying for the
          best. I love that little guy so much, he is like a child to me.
          Lois
          --- In feline-heart@y..., Lynnie Henderson <TheLinster@s...> wrote:
          > Lois, you'll be hearing from others, but take comfort in the fact
          that
          > several people on this list have young cats with heart probs and
          they are
          > living happily with it. I personally know someone whose cat had a
          heart
          > murmur discovered at age 3 and he lived to age 12 with no treatment
          at all.
          > Hang in.
          > Lynnie
        • Beth
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 20, 2002
            Hi Lois,

            Just wanted to let you know that my Ragdoll kitten, Elvis, has a
            grade 4 heart murmur with a slightly enlarged heart. Our vet
            believes it is an "innocent" heart murmur, which means that no
            treatment is required and it should not affect his quality of life.
            His murmur actually had improved at his last vet visit. He acts
            perfectly fine - not sick at all. I was devasted when I initially
            found out about this, as I was told that he needed a very risky
            surgery, but I got a second opinion and more testing, thank God.

            I raise Ragdoll cats and, although this is thought to be hereditary,
            I have this kittens parents, grandparents, and aunt and they are all
            fine, as are his littermates. It is believed that heart murmurs are
            more at risk for Siamese, Persians, and Ragdolls, particularly males.

            Our thoughts will be with you tomorrow for your ultrasound. Many
            kitty kisses -

            Beth & the purr-faces
            Trace, Lily, Iris, Miles, Rusty, Chloe, Viper, Delilah, Anaka,
            Rachael, Dragon, and Elvis

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "lois_051958" <ljones432@e...> wrote:
            > My cat was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur today. He had an
            > xray and ekg. The xray did not show any heart enlargement which
            the
            > vet said was good news. I did not get the results of the ekg yet.
            He
            > will be having an ultrasound on Monday. The vet mentioned
            something
            > about cardio myopathy. But we need to have an ultrasound to find
            out
            > what the cause is. Does anyone know if all heart murmurs in cats
            mean
            > that the cat has cardio myopathy? Or is their such a thing as a
            > harmless heart murmur. This is all new to me and I am quite upset
            > and want to learn as much as I can.
            > I would also like to hear from others about treatments their cats
            are
            > on and how they are doing, quality of life, and how many years a
            cat
            > can live with this condition.
            > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
            > Lois
          • lois_051958
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 20, 2002
              Hi Beth,
              My vet said that a heart murmur means there is a problem with the
              heart and that is what is causing the murmur. I got the impression
              from the vet that some type of treatment is required. God I hope I
              misunderstood and this is an "innocent" murmur. This is so
              confusing. I think what I've learned is that every case is
              different. I have to hang tight until the ultrasound is done
              tomorrow. I will also get the results of the EKG. Thanks for your
              comments. All of you guys here are so wonderful and are helping me
              think positive about this.
              God bless,
              Lois

            • Beth
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 21, 2002
                Hi Lois,

                I sincerely hope that all goes well today. Please let us know.

                As for heart murmurs, aside from cardiomyopathy, which I know nothing
                about (there are several people here who can help with that), there
                are a number of defects which cause murmurs: ventricular septal defect
                (which is what my vet believes Elvis has), atrioventricular valvular
                dysplasia,aortic stenosis, endocardial cushion defects, patent ductus
                arteriosis (PDA, which is what the first vet told me that Elvis had),
                and Tetralogy of Fallot. Most of these are problems with valves in
                the heart or holes. Surgery is indicated in some cases, but others
                may be controlled medically. Decreasing the salt in the diet is
                generally recommended. Signs to look for include problems breathing,
                exercise intolerance, lethargy, coughing, lack of appetite.

                When Elvis was first diagnosed, he wouldn't eat and slept all the
                time. He was half the weight of his brother, who I also kept. I had
                to syringe feed him for several weeks, but he's now eating well,
                growing and gaining weight, and running and playing all over the
                house. He's not on any meds at all. I just keep a very close eye on
                him. It does seem like each case is different; hopefully, with more
                info about your cat's specific problem, you'll be able to deal with
                it and not worry too much. Many kitty kisses -

              • fathermurray
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 30, 2004
                  Hello. I just found out today that my 15 year old DSH-Champagne-has a grade 3-4 heart murmur. He also has chronic renal failure. Can someone explain the grades to me? All the vet (who is new) said is that "it is bad". Thanks,Dee and Champagne
                • fathermurray
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 30, 2004
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 30, 2004
                      Hello. I just found out today that my 15 year old DSH-Champagne-has a grade 3-4 heart murmur. He also has chronic renal failure. Can someone explain the grades to me? All the vet (who is new) said is that "it is bad". Thanks,Dee and Champagne
                    • psychoforkaatz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
                        Is a heart murmur ever just a heart murmur without being heart
                        disease? I plan on getting an echo for Josie, as of now she is doing
                        great. We have changed her diet to Wellness canned which has helped
                        her IBD alot (also it is lower sodium). she is getting B12 shots which
                        is giving her energy and better appetite. We tried the astros oil but
                        she hates it. I may have to give her coQ10 separately and would like
                        any info on this as I know it is supposed to be good for the heart.
                        her BP was 90 at the vet so no problems with that. After recently
                        losing a cat to suspected CHF (diagnosed by symptoms and in too much
                        distress to help, of course this was before joining this list and
                        learning she may have had a chance with proper diagnosis and treatment
                        which my vet was not equipped to provide), it would ease my mind to
                        know that there is a possibility that it is only a heart murmur. Even
                        if we find out later from the echo (not sure when)that it is more
                        serious. She is not an energetic cat but does not seem to have any
                        issues after exertion, and is always ready to jog over to me for
                        string play or her favorite pursuit, treats.

                        Kendall
                      • Carole
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
                          My cat Saylor has a murmur which is a 1 on a scale of 1-6 or is barely
                          audible and yet his diagnosis has been confirmed as HCM.
                        • Leah Ferron
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
                            Kendall,

                            I agree with Sue. A heart murmur is not a normal thing. It is not normal in humans either. I have a heart murmur and so does my sister. Is there anything "wrong" with us? Yes and no. We don't exhibit any symptoms or problems so to speak, just a murmur because a mitral valve doesn't close all the way. At some point in time it may become a problem and when my sister has to have dental work, she takes antibiotics because she is more susceptable to a bacterial infection. But if it weren't for the echo we each had, we wouldn't have known what our problem was. It is the same with kitty murmurs.

                            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

                          • xxshanellxx
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 27, 2007
                              Please help me....Im wondering the same thing. My cat is going for a
                              ultrasound tomorrow and I cant find that anser anywhere. --- In feline-
                              heart@yahoogroups.com, "lois_051958" <ljones432@...> wrote:

                              > My cat was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur today. He had an
                              > xray and ekg. The xray did not show any heart enlargement which the
                              > vet said was good news. I did not get the results of the ekg yet. He
                              > will be having an ultrasound on Monday. The vet mentioned something
                              > about cardio myopathy. But we need to have an ultrasound to find out
                              > what the cause is. Does anyone know if all heart murmurs in cats mean
                              > that the cat has cardio myopathy? Or is their such a thing as a
                              > harmless heart murmur. This is all new to me and I am quite upset
                              > and want to learn as much as I can.
                              > I would also like to hear from others about treatments their cats are
                              > on and how they are doing, quality of life, and how many years a cat
                              > can live with this condition.
                              > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
                              > Lois

                            • foreverinfur
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 13, 2013
                                Hi what other problems can Persian cats have if they have a grade one two heart murmur. Cat is about two years old. Blood test and urine test turned up fine. Next will be ultra sound Deb

                                Sent from Samsung Mobile
                              • elfinmyst
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013

                                  Hello Deb

                                  A grade 2-4 murmur is almost always serious. Kitten benign murmurs are rarely beyond level 2 and most cats grow out of them by age 9 months. I have two cats diagnosed as kittens and both had serious disease and a grade 4 murmur. Both were diagnosed by ultrasound at 12 weeks and have a lot of medications. One was given 2 years to live and one was given 2 months. Both refused to listen:)

                                  A grade2 murmur  can be a number of things and all must be diagnosed by an ultrasound scan.

                                  A grade 1/2 murmur may be something I call a 'flappy valve' which my Selkirk girl has and is caused by turbulence in a slightly malformed heart valve. Tjis isn't so serious and doesn't need treatment and won't affect life span.

                                  Your cat may have HCM or it could be a congenital heart disease, my Milli had a grade 4 and she has two holes in her heart and the valves formed badly. Maxi had a grade 1-2 and has HCM and congenital problems too. There are other heart disorders too, but the ultrasound is extremely important to diagnose and get the best treatment. I urge you to get one as soon as possible.

                                  HCM is inherited so a sibling would have a 50% chance of the disorder. Heart defects can be a developmental fault or inherited. Once you get the ultrasound results, treatment can begin as needed.

                                  Lyn.

                                • Leigh Arrathoon
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013
                                    Dear Deb,
                                        My two Maine Coons each have one gene for HCM. The older one came to me at 12 weeks with a grade 3 heart murmur. I took him to a wonderful cardiologist, who gave him an ultrasound and told me she thought the blood was bouncing off an extra piece of flesh that didn't belong there. This went on until he was four years old, when, due to the death of one of my cats, he became extremely upset, and the murmur went up to a 4! My whole church prayed for him during those years, and I always gave him CoQ10 + mitochondrial support, Vitamin  E (d'alpha tocopherols), Omega 3, etc. I last time I took him to the Cardiologist, the murmur had disappeared completely, because, she explained, the extra ligament had broken. So, while murmurs can certainly come from serious causes, it just might not be something so horrible.

                                        Wishing you the best.
                                        Leigh

[...]

                                  • Jordan
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013
                                      My Sheba (himalayan) has unclassified cardiomyopathy.    She is asymptomatic but is on Plavix to reduce the risk of throwing a clot (saddle thombosis).

                                      Hugs and kitty kisses,

                                      Jordan and Sheba
                                    • Jordan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 15, 2013
                                        It can be.  But I think this can also happen if there is not a genetic component.
                                        Lyn - is that correct??

                                        Kitty kisses,
                                        Jordan and Sheba