B-12, Folic Acid and Chondroitin

  • brunobaby@accesshub.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2000
      Found out the dosage on B-12 with folic acid. It's a quarter of a 1000 mcg
      tablet per day per cat.

      All the B-12 with folic acid combos at the Vitamin Shoppe have some sort of
      citrus or fruit flavor to them. Delicious for humans, but the cats picked
      up the cherry-flavored pills in their mouths and spat them across the room.
      I tried crushing the pills and hiding them in a blob of food, and that had
      a better rate of acceptance.

      There are also B-12 / folic acid drops available in a delightful raspberry
      flavor. You just give them a quarter of the human dose. It's very hard to
      OD on B-12, since the cat's body will just get rid of whatever it doesn't
      use.

      I'm also putting Pongo on 250 mg per day of Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
      The vet's office recommended either that, or Cosequin, which is like sixty
      bucks for ninety pills.

      This is mostly stuff like shark cartilage and will help aging joints.
      There's been no diagnosis of arthritis, thank God. But I notice he's been
      sitting down and getting up more slowly these days -- no hind leg pain,
      just not as supple as he used to be -- and I don't want creaky joints to
      interfere with whatever circulation he can get. And there's nothing in it
      that will interfere with his heart meds.

      --Melinda