Fwd: [CRF] new studies in heart and vitamins/ noncrf

  • Carol Dunning
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11 3:39 AM
      --- ne woods <newoods@...> wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > Stroke is usually considered a disease of older
      > people, especially men.
      > But even young women are not immune. This study has
      > examined 167 women
      > between 15 and 44 who have suffered a stroke and
      > compared them to over 300
      > "normal" women.
      >
      > One major difference was the level of homocysteine,
      > an amino acid
      > associated with increased risk of atherosclerosis
      > (hardening of the
      > arteries), that can lead to heart attack or stroke.
      > Women with the highest
      > homocysteine levels had twice the risk of stoke.
      >
      > Homocysteine can be lowered in most people by
      > supplementing folic acid,
      > B12 and B6. In fact, elevated homocysteine level is
      > considered a sign of B
      > vitamin deficiency. Also see the next item.
      >
      > Stroke 1999;30:1554-1560.
      > FOLIC ACID DECREASES BLOOD PRESSURE
      >
      > According to a study presented at the annual
      > International Society of
      > Hypertension meeting, folic acid is very important
      > for cardiovascular
      > health. Patients who had either a heart attack or a
      > stroke were given 5 mg
      > of folic acid a day.
      >
      > After just 6 weeks, there was a significant
      > reduction in homocysteine
      > level and a decrease in systolic blood pressure from
      > 149.4 to 140. Blood
      > pressure is expressed using two numbers, such as 140
      > over 80. Systolic is
      > the upper number, while the lower number is called
      > diastolic. Systolic
      > number is said to indicate the pressure within the
      > arteries. It tends to
      > increase with the progression of atherosclerosis or
      > hardening of the
      > arteries.
      >
      > The authors think that vitamin supplementation can
      > be a very important
      > tool in cardiovascular protection and note that they
      > are safe and
      > inexpensive. The amount used in this study was
      > rather high - 5 mg or 5,000
      > mcg. The recommended daily allowance is 400 mcg. It
      > is possible that
      > people with a history of a cardiovascular event
      > (heart attack or stroke)
      > may need higher doses, but most of us do not need
      > more that about 800 mcg,
      > as long as you take it on a daily basis.
      >
      > My recommendation is to take a good
      > multivitamin/multimineral complex that
      > provides not only 800 mcg of folic acid, but all the
      > B vitamins along with
      > all the anti-oxidants (C, E, beta carotene, zinc,
      > selenium, bioflavonoids,
      > etc), minerals, and plant extracts.
      >

      > Michael Teplisky, MD, editor
      > http://www.nydocs.com
      > removed]
      >

      > TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, email to:
      >
      > All messages sent to feline-crf-support@egroups.com
      > are Copyright 2000 by the original author. Do not
      > forward or excerpt to another group or nonmember

    • Melinda Bruno
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11 6:25 AM
        Carol reported:

        > > Homocysteine can be lowered in most people by
        > > supplementing folic acid,
        > > B12 and B6.

        I got another tip from my vet this weekend -- and considering what he
        charges, I take all the tips I can get. ;-)

        He recommended B-12 with folic acid for both kitties. He recommended
        the smallest human dosage per day. I checked out the Vitamin Shoppe,
        and the smallest human dosage of B-12 complex with folic acid was
        1000 mg, which seems more suitable for a llama than a domestic feline.

        I'll call him again today and double-check the dosage.

        He also said that it improves appetite.

        --Melinda