Hairball Alert

  • brunobaby@accesshub.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2000
      If anybody's cat has been puking a lot lately, take note:

      We had Pongo into the vet for a recheck this morning, and mentioned how
      he's thrown up for four days out of five the last couple of weeks. Nothing
      heavy, usually just fur and phlegm.

      The vet said it's been a record shedding season lately, and that dozens of
      owners have been reporting frequent barfing attacks even in healthy cats.
      He recommended a daily dose of a teaspoon of Petromalt or Laxatone for the
      next four or five days.

      He also said that even when the barf is food rather than hair, it could be
      caused by irritation from too much swallowed hair.

      I don't know how the shedding season's been in other parts of the US or the
      world, but here in the Northeast it could have something to do with the
      wet, wet Summer.

      Pongo's otherwise been holding up okay -- lungs clear, kidneys strong, and
      we're getting his T-4 results on Monday. Aside from the bum ticker, he's
      still pretty much a kick-butt guy. <G>

      He may need a little dental, but the vet said that because he's docile
      (he's never seen this cat at home) that he may be able to do some minor
      scaling without anaesthesia. He advises strongly against putting him under.

      --Melinda
    • diane@mathermotorsports.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2000
        Melinda,

        I've noticed a lot lately too, in CT. We had it pretty bad in the
        spring too. Even the "food pukage" has hair in it. And my last
        culprit was one that rarely does it, so he isn't used to it and it
        freaks him out. I found a trail from the bedroom down the stairs to
        the kitchen. :( At least he was nice enough to get off the bed first.

        Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know we're not along. <EG>

        Diane