Re: Need some info on patent ductus arteriosus

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7 5:17 PM
      Here's some info:

      "The ductus arteriosus is a blood vessel present in unborn animals
      which runs from the pulmonary artery to the aorta allowing blood to
      bypass the lungs. At birth, muscles in the ductus are stimulated to
      contract, decreasing the size of the bypass and directing blood to
      the newly inflated lungs. Over the first week of life, the ductus
      normally closes completely.

      In some kittens, the ductus arteriosis fails to close (patent ductus
      arteriosis - PDA) due to the muscles which should contract to close
      the ductus being abnormal. Some of the blood returning from the body
      to the heart fails to pass through the lungs before returning to
      circulation. Not only is the oxygen level in the blood reduced, but
      the bypass causes increased pressure in the left side of the heart,
      leading to dilation and eventually left sided heart failure.

      PDA kittens may only show poor growth and poor tolerance to exercise
      in the early stages. As left sided heart failure develops, coughing
      and panting may become more pronounced.

      The most prominent clinical finding is a heart murmur (rushing sound)
      and possibly a vibration (thrill) which can be felt on the lower left
      chest wall. These are due to the turbulence created by the blood
      rushing through the PDA. Xray and untrasound (echocardiogram) are
      used to confirm the diagnosis.

      Recommended treatment is surgical closure of the PDA. This is
      generally carried out between 2 and 4 months of age. Although there
      is a small risk of death associated with the surgery, treated cats
      have a good long term outlook compared to untreated cats."

      - from VetLine, Australia