Re: stool softener?

  • Christy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2002
      My cat, Precious, takes 6.25 mg of Atenolol each day. Since starting
      the medicine, she no longer has a runny eye (from allergies).....I
      noticed this and the vet said that the medicine could cause
      some "drying out", sort of like an antihistamine (sp?). It stands to
      reason that maybe the stool would be effected also, or at least the
      amount of water content in the stool. In Precious's case, this is a
      good side effect, since she has no drainage from her eye now.

      I am just guessing about this and drawing on my own experience.

      Precious is a longhair so I give her a dose of laxatone every couple
      of days. This has really cut down on hairballs and keeps her from
      being constipated. My vet said that it is safe to use.

      Christy