Re: saddle thrombisis

  • gussielou49
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
      I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying to
      look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might have
      been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this board
      trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
      Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
      recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put him
      on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
      thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to see
      how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her about
      clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
      local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so close
      by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week if
      I find anything out.
      -Steph, Gus & Louise

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101" <mountainlight101@y...>
      wrote:
      > hi,
      >
      > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
      heart
      > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
      > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
      > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
      But
      > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
      > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
      issues?

      > thanks, Jeff
    • mountainlight101
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
        thanks,

        I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
        and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
        althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
        about how gus is doing.

        thanks, Jeff

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
        > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
        > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
        have
        > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
        board
        > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
        > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
        > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
        him
        > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
        > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
        see
        > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
        about
        > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
        > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
        close
        > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
        if
        > I find anything out.
        > -Steph, Gus & Louise
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
        <mountainlight101@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > hi,
        > >
        > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
        > heart
        > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
        > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved
        > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
        > But
        > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
        with
        > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
        > issues?
        > >
        > > thanks, Jeff
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
          Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
          sure why this is so.

          But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
          Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

          Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

          --
          Jonathan Rosenberg
          Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

        • Lisa Wells
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
            Generally I think it's because when blood leaves the heart, it travels
            downward in the body. I would imagine that it is possible for a clot to
            travel all the way down and return back up, but a majority of the time the
            clot lodges in the hindquarter area.

            I agree though, if your cat is still having trouble with the right front paw
            it is likely another cause. Perhaps while his front legs were affected, he
            tripped or fell and injured the leg. I'd have the vet take another look at
            it.

            Hugz,
            Lisa/kat
            >^..^<

            This week's contests:
            Smoky and Abby TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!! Thank you everybody!!

            Check out my web sites, and vote for them if you like them!

            Web Site URLs:
            The Alley Mews http://www.geocities.com/thealleymews
            John's Gift http://www.geocities.com/johnsgift

            Voting links:
            Competitions: CLOSED SAT/SUN
            The Alley Mews http://www.webcompetition.net/levels.html
            First place, moving up to the Heights next week!!
            John's Gift http://www.webcompetition.net/moments/vote.html
            First place, moving up to the Levels next week!!

            Topsites:
            The Alley Mews http://www.topsitelists.com/topsites
            cgi?ID=92&user=Vampirekitties&area=world
            (currently TOP RANKED SITE, #1, thank you!!)
            John's Gift http://mercysmemorial.mytopsitelist.com/jump
            php?cmd=in&list_id=memorials&site_id=johnsgift
            (currently 6th place, still pretty darn good! thank you!)
            Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
            sure why this is so.

            But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
            Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

            Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

            --
            Jonathan Rosenberg
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,
            Jet, Belle
            http://www.tabbysplace.org/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
              Lisa Wells [mailto:kat569@...] sez ...

              > Generally I think it's because when blood
              > leaves the heart, it travels downward in the body.

              Sure. But in a cat, the front legs are as "downward" as the rear legs.
              This is not so in humans (obviously).

              > I agree though, if your cat is still having
              > trouble with the right front paw it is likely
              > another cause.

              Actually, it can take months for a cat to fully recover from a clot lodged
              near a paw. So, this could still be the result of a clot.

              My questions was how she knew this was the result of a clot.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                Yes, if you look at a cat the front legs appear as downward as the hind legs
                But when you are discussing the circulatory system, when I refer to
                traveling downward, I refer to the direction of blood flow in the body. In
                a cat, the blood flows from the heart down to the hindquarters and hind legs
                which is the area in which the aorta splits and becomes the femoral
                arteries of the hind legs. Generally this is where the blockages usually
                occur, but it's not unheard of for a clot to dislodge only to become lodged
                in another part of the body. It's also possible that there was originally a
                large clot which broke up, and a smaller piece of that clot is causing the
                cat's current difficulties.

                I'd also like to know what the vet's diagnosis was, when he was brought in
                for this?? In most cases, diagnosis is difficult; vets usually rule out
                other causes through a series of questions to the owner (i.e. "Has the cat
                been outside recently?" or "To your knowledge, has your cat fallen recently?
                ), and tests (like bloodwork and xrays). You're right that it can take a
                long time to recover from saddle thrombosis. Jeff, when you brought the cat
                in, what did the vet say??

                Hugz,
                Lisa/kat

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                  Jeff,
                  I know it was already mentioned, but I did see our cardiologist today
                  & she said that clots can form in the front legs but is less common.

                  Gus had another echo today. Looks like his left atrium is getting
                  bigger which is still a major concern but he shows not clinical signs
                  of HF. The clot is still there but is more organized. She thinks
                  some might have come apart however he has a lot of RBC's 'hanging
                  around' in his LA which have the potential to form more clots. She
                  said he could go into HF at any time, however she has seen another
                  cat w/ a similar situation do quite well for a couple of years. You
                  just never know.

                  Gus is the absolute love in my life! Please send him some nice warm
                  thoughts! I also posted a couple of pictures of Gus adorning
                  his 'pet protector harness' in the 'Gus' photo album. He thinks he's
                  the King when he wears it! (He is!)

                  I hope everyone's little munchkins are doing well tonight.
                  We were driving home tonight from the vet and I was just thinking of
                  how nothing matters more right now than Gus' health. Talk about
                  putting life into perspective! Someone recently told me that we get
                  so much more from our companion animals than we give. I wish they
                  could be around forever.

                  -Steph

                  wrote:
                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
                  > and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
                  > althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
                  > about how gus is doing.
                  >

                  > thanks, Jeff
                  >

                  > --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
                  > > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
                  > > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
                  > have
                  > > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
                  > board
                  > > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
                  > > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
                  > > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
                  > him
                  > > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
                  > > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
                  > see
                  > > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
                  > about
                  > > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
                  > > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
                  > close
                  > > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
                  > if
                  > > I find anything out.
                  > > -Steph, Gus & Louise
                  > >
                  > > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
                  > <mountainlight101@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
                  > > heart
                  > > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the
                  front
                  > > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then
                  moved
                  > > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the
                  vet.
                  > > But
                  > > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
                  > with
                  > > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
                  > > issues?
                  > > >
                  > > > thanks, Jeff
                • mountainlight101
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                    Steph,

                    Thanks for the info. Fat cat is still limping from time to time on
                    his front paw. it seems to be worse in the moring or when he wakes
                    up from a nap. But, even when he as been out walking around you can
                    still see a limp. Gus is a fine looking cat. I had a cat named
                    wilbur that looked a lot like gus when I was growing up. my thoughts
                    are with gus.