Re: saddle thrombisis

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hi Jeff,

      Yes, is the short answer....do a search in the archives on "blood
      clots" and the like...one of our members, Jonathan Rosenberg had a
      kittie who had several clots and recovered... some other members have
      also reported having kitties recover from clots but it is not the
      norm, but it seems that blood clots have a wide range of severity and
      debilitation, and when possible, recovery...from hardly even knowing
      that it has happened, to the worst case scenario (PTS).

      One idea I remember reading about is that it is possible with these
      multiple incidents that what is going on is that one larger clot
      formed somewhere and bits of it break off and then get stuck, either
      temporarily or permanently...the theory is that this may be a natural
      process of the body trying to break down it's own clot, but I cannot
      remember where it is that I read that tidbit...

      Somewhere I think I also read about someone here in this
      group trying a new treatment/drug...sorry I'm not much help...I'm sure
      you'll run across it if you do a search...

      Good luck and please keep us posted!

      Sally

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101" <mountainlight101@y...>
      wrote:
      > hi,
      >
      > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
      heart
      > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
      > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
      > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
      But
      > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
      > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
      issues?

      > thanks, Jeff
    • gussielou49
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
        I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying to
        look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might have
        been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this board
        trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
        Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
        recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put him
        on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
        thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to see
        how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her about
        clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
        local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so close
        by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week if
        I find anything out.
        -Steph, Gus & Louise

        wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
        heart
        > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
        > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
        > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
        But
        > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
        > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
        issues?

        > thanks, Jeff
      • mountainlight101
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
          thanks,

          I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
          and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
          althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
          about how gus is doing.

          thanks, Jeff

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
          > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
          > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
          have
          > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
          board
          > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
          > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
          > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
          him
          > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
          > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
          see
          > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
          about
          > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
          > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
          close
          > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
          if
          > I find anything out.
          > -Steph, Gus & Louise
          >
          > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
          <mountainlight101@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > hi,
          > >
          > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
          > heart
          > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
          > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved
          > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
          > But
          > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
          with
          > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
          > issues?
          > >
          > > thanks, Jeff
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
            Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
            sure why this is so.

            But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
            Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

            Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

            --
            Jonathan Rosenberg
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

          • Lisa Wells
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
              Generally I think it's because when blood leaves the heart, it travels
              downward in the body. I would imagine that it is possible for a clot to
              travel all the way down and return back up, but a majority of the time the
              clot lodges in the hindquarter area.

              I agree though, if your cat is still having trouble with the right front paw
              it is likely another cause. Perhaps while his front legs were affected, he
              tripped or fell and injured the leg. I'd have the vet take another look at
              it.

              Hugz,
              Lisa/kat
              >^..^<

              This week's contests:
              Smoky and Abby TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!! Thank you everybody!!

              Check out my web sites, and vote for them if you like them!

              Web Site URLs:
              The Alley Mews http://www.geocities.com/thealleymews
              John's Gift http://www.geocities.com/johnsgift

              Voting links:
              Competitions: CLOSED SAT/SUN
              The Alley Mews http://www.webcompetition.net/levels.html
              First place, moving up to the Heights next week!!
              John's Gift http://www.webcompetition.net/moments/vote.html
              First place, moving up to the Levels next week!!

              Topsites:
              The Alley Mews http://www.topsitelists.com/topsites
              cgi?ID=92&user=Vampirekitties&area=world
              (currently TOP RANKED SITE, #1, thank you!!)
              John's Gift http://mercysmemorial.mytopsitelist.com/jump
              php?cmd=in&list_id=memorials&site_id=johnsgift
              (currently 6th place, still pretty darn good! thank you!)
              Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
              sure why this is so.

              But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
              Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

              Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

              --
              Jonathan Rosenberg
              Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,
              Jet, Belle
              http://www.tabbysplace.org/

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Jonathan Rosenberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                Lisa Wells [mailto:kat569@...] sez ...

                > Generally I think it's because when blood
                > leaves the heart, it travels downward in the body.

                Sure. But in a cat, the front legs are as "downward" as the rear legs.
                This is not so in humans (obviously).

                > I agree though, if your cat is still having
                > trouble with the right front paw it is likely
                > another cause.

                Actually, it can take months for a cat to fully recover from a clot lodged
                near a paw. So, this could still be the result of a clot.

                My questions was how she knew this was the result of a clot.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                  Yes, if you look at a cat the front legs appear as downward as the hind legs
                  But when you are discussing the circulatory system, when I refer to
                  traveling downward, I refer to the direction of blood flow in the body. In
                  a cat, the blood flows from the heart down to the hindquarters and hind legs
                  which is the area in which the aorta splits and becomes the femoral
                  arteries of the hind legs. Generally this is where the blockages usually
                  occur, but it's not unheard of for a clot to dislodge only to become lodged
                  in another part of the body. It's also possible that there was originally a
                  large clot which broke up, and a smaller piece of that clot is causing the
                  cat's current difficulties.

                  I'd also like to know what the vet's diagnosis was, when he was brought in
                  for this?? In most cases, diagnosis is difficult; vets usually rule out
                  other causes through a series of questions to the owner (i.e. "Has the cat
                  been outside recently?" or "To your knowledge, has your cat fallen recently?
                  ), and tests (like bloodwork and xrays). You're right that it can take a
                  long time to recover from saddle thrombosis. Jeff, when you brought the cat
                  in, what did the vet say??

                  Hugz,
                  Lisa/kat

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                    Jeff,
                    I know it was already mentioned, but I did see our cardiologist today
                    & she said that clots can form in the front legs but is less common.

                    Gus had another echo today. Looks like his left atrium is getting
                    bigger which is still a major concern but he shows not clinical signs
                    of HF. The clot is still there but is more organized. She thinks
                    some might have come apart however he has a lot of RBC's 'hanging
                    around' in his LA which have the potential to form more clots. She
                    said he could go into HF at any time, however she has seen another
                    cat w/ a similar situation do quite well for a couple of years. You
                    just never know.

                    Gus is the absolute love in my life! Please send him some nice warm
                    thoughts! I also posted a couple of pictures of Gus adorning
                    his 'pet protector harness' in the 'Gus' photo album. He thinks he's
                    the King when he wears it! (He is!)

                    I hope everyone's little munchkins are doing well tonight.
                    We were driving home tonight from the vet and I was just thinking of
                    how nothing matters more right now than Gus' health. Talk about
                    putting life into perspective! Someone recently told me that we get
                    so much more from our companion animals than we give. I wish they
                    could be around forever.

                    -Steph

                    wrote:
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
                    > and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
                    > althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
                    > about how gus is doing.
                    >

                    > thanks, Jeff
                    >

                    > --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
                    > > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
                    > > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
                    > have
                    > > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
                    > board
                    > > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
                    > > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
                    > > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
                    > him
                    > > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
                    > > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
                    > see
                    > > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
                    > about
                    > > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
                    > > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
                    > close
                    > > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
                    > if
                    > > I find anything out.
                    > > -Steph, Gus & Louise
                    > >
                    > > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
                    > <mountainlight101@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > hi,
                    > > >
                    > > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
                    > > heart
                    > > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the
                    front
                    > > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then
                    moved
                    > > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the
                    vet.
                    > > But
                    > > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
                    > with
                    > > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
                    > > issues?
                    > > >
                    > > > thanks, Jeff
                  • mountainlight101
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                      Steph,

                      Thanks for the info. Fat cat is still limping from time to time on
                      his front paw. it seems to be worse in the moring or when he wakes
                      up from a nap. But, even when he as been out walking around you can
                      still see a limp. Gus is a fine looking cat. I had a cat named
                      wilbur that looked a lot like gus when I was growing up. my thoughts
                      are with gus.