Re: [FH] Fluids for kitties with CRF *and* HF?

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      Pam Vojtas wrote:

      > But now, a new problem :( the last 2 weeks she has days where she looks visibly dehydrated (fur clumps, loose skin). Is this because of the anemia? Has any one given small amounts of fluids to a CRF/HF kitty. Or is the risk of heart attack or fluid retention too great?

      We were able to give our kitty small amounts of fluids everyday. She also was on dandelion extract for 6 months to help process the fluids. The 7 month, spironolactone was added. IM vet was hesitant to keep her on lasix as it is very hard on the kidneys, so we only used it the first month when the crisis hit. What made a big difference for Lucie was getting her heart medication (diltiazem) to treat her high bp and hcm. Before that, she would not process any subq's. After heart medication, she would process 80cc to 120 cc/day. The last month as her organs were failing, she could only process 60cc's and then 30cc's the
      last week.
      I always kept an eye on her breathing and gave her additional dandelion extract whenever she had early signs of fluid build up, and withheld fluids for 24hrs. That worked well for 6 months.

      Anyes and the girls