saddle thrombisis

  • mountainlight101
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
      hi,

      I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with heart
      problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
      legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
      his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet. But
      since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
      his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type issues?

      thanks, Jeff
    • Sally J.Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
        Hi Jeff,

        Yes, is the short answer....do a search in the archives on "blood
        clots" and the like...one of our members, Jonathan Rosenberg had a
        kittie who had several clots and recovered... some other members have
        also reported having kitties recover from clots but it is not the
        norm, but it seems that blood clots have a wide range of severity and
        debilitation, and when possible, recovery...from hardly even knowing
        that it has happened, to the worst case scenario (PTS).

        One idea I remember reading about is that it is possible with these
        multiple incidents that what is going on is that one larger clot
        formed somewhere and bits of it break off and then get stuck, either
        temporarily or permanently...the theory is that this may be a natural
        process of the body trying to break down it's own clot, but I cannot
        remember where it is that I read that tidbit...

        Somewhere I think I also read about someone here in this
        group trying a new treatment/drug...sorry I'm not much help...I'm sure
        you'll run across it if you do a search...

        Good luck and please keep us posted!

        Sally

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101" <mountainlight101@y...>
        wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
        heart
        > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
        > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
        > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
        But
        > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
        > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
        issues?

        > thanks, Jeff
      • gussielou49
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
          I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying to
          look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might have
          been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this board
          trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
          Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
          recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put him
          on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
          thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to see
          how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her about
          clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
          local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so close
          by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week if
          I find anything out.
          -Steph, Gus & Louise

          wrote:
          > hi,
          >
          > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
          heart
          > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
          > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved to
          > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
          But
          > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems with
          > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
          issues?

          > thanks, Jeff
        • mountainlight101
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
            thanks,

            I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
            and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
            althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
            about how gus is doing.

            thanks, Jeff

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
            > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
            > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
            have
            > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
            board
            > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
            > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
            > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
            him
            > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
            > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
            see
            > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
            about
            > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
            > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
            close
            > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
            if
            > I find anything out.
            > -Steph, Gus & Louise
            >
            > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
            <mountainlight101@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > hi,
            > >
            > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
            > heart
            > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the front
            > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then moved
            > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the vet.
            > But
            > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
            with
            > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
            > issues?
            > >
            > > thanks, Jeff
          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
              Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
              sure why this is so.

              But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
              Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

              Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

              --
              Jonathan Rosenberg
              Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,

            • Lisa Wells
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                Generally I think it's because when blood leaves the heart, it travels
                downward in the body. I would imagine that it is possible for a clot to
                travel all the way down and return back up, but a majority of the time the
                clot lodges in the hindquarter area.

                I agree though, if your cat is still having trouble with the right front paw
                it is likely another cause. Perhaps while his front legs were affected, he
                tripped or fell and injured the leg. I'd have the vet take another look at
                it.

                Hugz,
                Lisa/kat
                >^..^<

                This week's contests:
                Smoky and Abby TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!!!! Thank you everybody!!

                Check out my web sites, and vote for them if you like them!

                Web Site URLs:
                The Alley Mews http://www.geocities.com/thealleymews
                John's Gift http://www.geocities.com/johnsgift

                Voting links:
                Competitions: CLOSED SAT/SUN
                The Alley Mews http://www.webcompetition.net/levels.html
                First place, moving up to the Heights next week!!
                John's Gift http://www.webcompetition.net/moments/vote.html
                First place, moving up to the Levels next week!!

                Topsites:
                The Alley Mews http://www.topsitelists.com/topsites
                cgi?ID=92&user=Vampirekitties&area=world
                (currently TOP RANKED SITE, #1, thank you!!)
                John's Gift http://mercysmemorial.mytopsitelist.com/jump
                php?cmd=in&list_id=memorials&site_id=johnsgift
                (currently 6th place, still pretty darn good! thank you!)
                Blood clots in cats most often head towards the rear of the cat. No one is
                sure why this is so.

                But, a clot can follow any artery & end up lodged pretty much anywhere.
                Clots in the front legs are not common, but they happen.

                Are you certain that blood clots are causing the symptoms you see?

                --
                Jonathan Rosenberg
                Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger,
                Jet, Belle
                http://www.tabbysplace.org/

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Jonathan Rosenberg
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                  Lisa Wells [mailto:kat569@...] sez ...

                  > Generally I think it's because when blood
                  > leaves the heart, it travels downward in the body.

                  Sure. But in a cat, the front legs are as "downward" as the rear legs.
                  This is not so in humans (obviously).

                  > I agree though, if your cat is still having
                  > trouble with the right front paw it is likely
                  > another cause.

                  Actually, it can take months for a cat to fully recover from a clot lodged
                  near a paw. So, this could still be the result of a clot.

                  My questions was how she knew this was the result of a clot.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2002
                    Yes, if you look at a cat the front legs appear as downward as the hind legs
                    But when you are discussing the circulatory system, when I refer to
                    traveling downward, I refer to the direction of blood flow in the body. In
                    a cat, the blood flows from the heart down to the hindquarters and hind legs
                    which is the area in which the aorta splits and becomes the femoral
                    arteries of the hind legs. Generally this is where the blockages usually
                    occur, but it's not unheard of for a clot to dislodge only to become lodged
                    in another part of the body. It's also possible that there was originally a
                    large clot which broke up, and a smaller piece of that clot is causing the
                    cat's current difficulties.

                    I'd also like to know what the vet's diagnosis was, when he was brought in
                    for this?? In most cases, diagnosis is difficult; vets usually rule out
                    other causes through a series of questions to the owner (i.e. "Has the cat
                    been outside recently?" or "To your knowledge, has your cat fallen recently?
                    ), and tests (like bloodwork and xrays). You're right that it can take a
                    long time to recover from saddle thrombosis. Jeff, when you brought the cat
                    in, what did the vet say??

                    Hugz,
                    Lisa/kat

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                      Jeff,
                      I know it was already mentioned, but I did see our cardiologist today
                      & she said that clots can form in the front legs but is less common.

                      Gus had another echo today. Looks like his left atrium is getting
                      bigger which is still a major concern but he shows not clinical signs
                      of HF. The clot is still there but is more organized. She thinks
                      some might have come apart however he has a lot of RBC's 'hanging
                      around' in his LA which have the potential to form more clots. She
                      said he could go into HF at any time, however she has seen another
                      cat w/ a similar situation do quite well for a couple of years. You
                      just never know.

                      Gus is the absolute love in my life! Please send him some nice warm
                      thoughts! I also posted a couple of pictures of Gus adorning
                      his 'pet protector harness' in the 'Gus' photo album. He thinks he's
                      the King when he wears it! (He is!)

                      I hope everyone's little munchkins are doing well tonight.
                      We were driving home tonight from the vet and I was just thinking of
                      how nothing matters more right now than Gus' health. Talk about
                      putting life into perspective! Someone recently told me that we get
                      so much more from our companion animals than we give. I wish they
                      could be around forever.

                      -Steph

                      wrote:
                      > thanks,
                      >
                      > I appreciate everyones advice. Fat cats clots seem to come and go
                      > and do seem to be less severe than when he was first diagnosed
                      > althought he does seem to have bad days. I look forward to hearing
                      > about how gus is doing.
                      >

                      > thanks, Jeff
                      >

                      > --- In feline-heart@y..., "gussielou49" <sschoff@e...> wrote:
                      > > I don't know about if clots form in the front legs. I was trying
                      > > look it up but didn't come up w/ anything. I think Sally might
                      > have
                      > > been referring to me when she was talking about someone on this
                      > board
                      > > trying a new treatment for clots. As of this past Aug., our cat,
                      > > Gus, had a clot in his left atrium. Per the vets
                      > > recommendation/suggestion, we stopped giving him aspirin and put
                      > him
                      > > on Lovenox/enoxaparin, which is a type of heparin (another blood
                      > > thinner). Next Tuesday we are going back to the cardiologist to
                      > see
                      > > how Gus is doing. I'm hoping the clot is gone! I will ask her
                      > about
                      > > clots forming/lodging in the front legs. She is one of the
                      > > local 'experts' on saddle thrombus. We're lucky to have her so
                      > close
                      > > by. Keep us posted on your cat and I will let you know next week
                      > if
                      > > I find anything out.
                      > > -Steph, Gus & Louise
                      > >
                      > > --- In feline-heart@y..., "mountainlight101"
                      > <mountainlight101@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > hi,
                      > > >
                      > > > I know that clots typically form in the back legs and tail with
                      > > heart
                      > > > problems in cats. how common is it for them to form in the
                      front
                      > > > legs. My cats problems started in his front legs and then
                      moved
                      > > > his back legs which was what prompted me to take him to the
                      vet.
                      > > But
                      > > > since his has been on medication he continues to have problems
                      > with
                      > > > his front right paw. Anyone else have to deal with these type
                      > > issues?
                      > > >
                      > > > thanks, Jeff
                    • mountainlight101
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2002
                        Steph,

                        Thanks for the info. Fat cat is still limping from time to time on
                        his front paw. it seems to be worse in the moring or when he wakes
                        up from a nap. But, even when he as been out walking around you can
                        still see a limp. Gus is a fine looking cat. I had a cat named
                        wilbur that looked a lot like gus when I was growing up. my thoughts
                        are with gus.