Re: Heart-Strengthening Herbs/Vitamines?

  • Sally J.Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      Greetings Nancy LS,

      It may be the Coq10.....50mgs for an 8 mo old kitten is probably a
      reasonable dose eventually, but some people (and I'd assume kitties)
      can get dizzy or nauseus (sp?) when starting on CoQ 10. You might want
      to try starting her out on 10mgs per day for a few days first, then
      after, say, a week, bumping it up to 50 every other day, and 10 on the
      off day for another week and then going to the full 50mgs per day.

      I get quite dizzy when I start using it again (because I'm not
      really good about taking my vites!) or when I stop...

      As for other herbs/vites....

      You may want to investigate Hawthorne extract...it is a very good
      heart tonic herb, but do not self-perscribe it....it is not always
      appropriate in all cases of heart conditions. For just a murmur, with
      no other HCM or whatever, it might be a good choice to try, but talk
      with your vet first.

      Have you had an echo-cardiogram done yet? This is an important
      first step in finding out the cause of the murmur.

      Some studies indicate Taurine is helpful added to the diet. Vites E
      and C are also good as they support the immune system in general.

      Keep us posted...if only so we can read all those fabulous names
      once again! :-)

      Good health to you all!

      Sally and angel Muffin

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "N. LionStorm" <JoyOfSiamese@c...> wrote:
      > Gentle folk,
      >
      > Is loss of appetite usual in an 8-month old kitten, newly diagnosed

      > with #2-intensity heart murmur, typical?
      >
      > Samantha-Joy began getting 50mg CoQ10 yesterday. Are there other
      > heart strengthening herbs/vitamines?
      >
      > May the Creator/Creatress watch over you and your fur-faces.
      > - Nancy Lion-Storm, and:
      > -- Confidence-on-a-Rainy-Day (17-yr old)
      > -- Lucky-To-Be-Alive (12-yr old)
      > -- Fortune-Silver-Cloud (6-yr old)
      > -- Samantha-Joy-Queen-of-Heaven (8-mo old)
      > -- Cassandra-Joy,-Soothsayer-&-Mystic-Seeress (5.5-mo old)
      > - Angel cats:
      > -- General-Chauncey-Beardsly-Peddleton-the-Third
      > -- History-Repeats-Herself
      > -- Jasmin-Pretty-Cat
      > - Foster Cats/Kittens:
      > -- Calliope-Heroic-Muse (Tortie Point)
      > -- Echo-Mysterious (Oriental Shorthair)
    • Cyber-Paws Designs
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi all!

        I could use a little bit of advice, if anyone could help. Wolfy, my cat
        with Tetralogy of Fallot, is on several medications - Lasix, Enacard and
        Spyro -something. LOL. These obviously make him drink a lot and need to
        urinate a lot. I normally keep my litterboxes in the basement.

        Two months ago, my persian cat needed to have eye surgery, so during his
        recovery, I kept him in my bedroom with a baby gate. He will not jump over
        the gate, so it kept him in. I put a small litterbox in my room (and food
        and water of course!). During this time, Wolfy started to jump over the
        baby gate to come into my room, and started to use that litterbox, and
        stopped using the box downstairs alltogether.

        This week my Persian was able to have the cone off of his head and have
        freedom of the entire house again, so I took the litterbox out of my room.
        Wolfy is still going into the place where the litterbox was, and urinating
        there! :( I have picked him up and taken him downstairs several times per
        day to "remind" him. When I catch him in the bedroom, I spray his tushy
        with water with a small water sprayer. I never spray his face since he is
        kinda delicate and I dont want to do anything to scare him due to his heart.

        I have been cleaning the spots with Nature Miracle, and have put a carboard
        box in the spot, but nothing seems to be working. I really do not want to
        leave a litterbox in my bedroom, but I will if I need to. The basement is a
        far walk for Wolfy, so maybe he is just too lazy or tired to go all the way
        across the house, then down a flight of stairs.

        Any advice?

        Also, Wolfy will turn three years old on October 22! I think this is
        terrific since he was only given a year to live when I adopted him as a
        kitten! Never give up and listen to your hearts when it comes to these
        babies, they have a lot of inner strength.

        Thanks in advance for any help,

        Carrie