RE: [FH] New member (unfortunately)

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      You sound like you have already done a lot of proactive things....Ashley is
      lucky to have such a good cat mom.

      Linda and the boys

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
        Bob is 9yrs old with moderate HCM. He takes 30 mg of COQ10 each
        day, Standard Process's Feline Cardiac Support supplements twice a
        day & 3/4 tsp of Feline The Missing Link in addition to his heart
        meds. Before going to vet, I give him 1 dropper full of Pet Nutri-
        drops for stress. Bob was diagnosed with HCM at the beginning of
        July this year. You sound like an excellent kitty caregiver & your
        kitty's condition may have been much worse without your already fine
        efforts for proper nutrition. Bob's CoQ10 is a softget which I coat
        with saltfree butter before shoving down his throat. I put all of
        Bob's many meds into gel caps & coat the gel cap with butter before
        giving to him. Bob appears very normal - active & happy. L-
        Carnitine is one of the ingredients of Bob's Feline Cardiac Support
        Supplements - he gets 50mg daily. Please feel free to ask any
        questions of this wonderful, supportive group. You may want to
        check out some of the links posted on this site, especially the
        drugdigest interaction. Ashley may be scratching because of
        allergies or supplement interactions. I am certainly not close to
        an expert, but 500mg of taurine seems a lot, since all food
        formulated for felines also contains taurine. I don't know if your
        kitty can overdose on taurine, but it is another point to check.
        Good luck to you & Ashley.

        Lots of Kitty Kisses,
        Myra & Bob

      • dlrichter_2
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
          Thanks for the responses. Ashley's fairly small and quite skittish.
          I'm not sure I want to stress her out too much by chasing her down
          and stuffing a gelcap down her throat. The vet thought her scratching
          might have been due to her teeth problems or from a little bit of cat
          acne she had. The vet shaved her neck and chin. Boy did she look
          stupid and I think she was pretty embaressed by it. She also got a
          course of Clavamox and a triple antibiotic+steroid ointment for her
          neck. I wasn't convinced a dental problem could cause so much
          scratching and thought it might be a food allergy. I stuck her on a
          pretty restricted diet. Whatever it was it's gone now and I've
          started adding additional things in one at a time to see if there's a
          reaction.

          The taurine 250mg twice daily I got from reading Donald Strombeck's
          book on home prepared diets. He mentioned cats with cardiomyopathy
          sometimes get between 250mg and 500mg of taurine twice daily. I'll
          have to look into the Cardiac Support Supplements. I've also heard
          good things about Missing Link, but haven't really looked into that
          either.

          Zellene. It looks like you're now on three of the same kitty problem
          lists that I'm on. Any other cat diseases I should be worried
          about? :-)

          Doug