Re: New member (unfortunately)

  • zellenecats
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hi, Doug! It sounds like you are doing very well by your kitty. I
      think diet is the most important and I also use the premium canned
      foods and sometimes homemade. I give Widgie 30 mgs of COQ10...I
      pierce a gelcap and squeeze it into some baby food meat and finger
      feed. She also gets 10 or 20 IU of E (a couple of drops of liquid E)
      and a fatty acid supplement, plus 250 mgs of taurine. The E and the
      taurine I don't give every single day...maybe 3 or 4 out of 5. She
      also gets 1/5 of a 50 mgs B vitamin complex also maybe 3 times a
      week. Believe it or not, she eats everything mushed up in the baby
      food.

    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
        You sound like you have already done a lot of proactive things....Ashley is
        lucky to have such a good cat mom.

        Linda and the boys

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
          Bob is 9yrs old with moderate HCM. He takes 30 mg of COQ10 each
          day, Standard Process's Feline Cardiac Support supplements twice a
          day & 3/4 tsp of Feline The Missing Link in addition to his heart
          meds. Before going to vet, I give him 1 dropper full of Pet Nutri-
          drops for stress. Bob was diagnosed with HCM at the beginning of
          July this year. You sound like an excellent kitty caregiver & your
          kitty's condition may have been much worse without your already fine
          efforts for proper nutrition. Bob's CoQ10 is a softget which I coat
          with saltfree butter before shoving down his throat. I put all of
          Bob's many meds into gel caps & coat the gel cap with butter before
          giving to him. Bob appears very normal - active & happy. L-
          Carnitine is one of the ingredients of Bob's Feline Cardiac Support
          Supplements - he gets 50mg daily. Please feel free to ask any
          questions of this wonderful, supportive group. You may want to
          check out some of the links posted on this site, especially the
          drugdigest interaction. Ashley may be scratching because of
          allergies or supplement interactions. I am certainly not close to
          an expert, but 500mg of taurine seems a lot, since all food
          formulated for felines also contains taurine. I don't know if your
          kitty can overdose on taurine, but it is another point to check.
          Good luck to you & Ashley.

          Lots of Kitty Kisses,
          Myra & Bob

        • dlrichter_2
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
            Thanks for the responses. Ashley's fairly small and quite skittish.
            I'm not sure I want to stress her out too much by chasing her down
            and stuffing a gelcap down her throat. The vet thought her scratching
            might have been due to her teeth problems or from a little bit of cat
            acne she had. The vet shaved her neck and chin. Boy did she look
            stupid and I think she was pretty embaressed by it. She also got a
            course of Clavamox and a triple antibiotic+steroid ointment for her
            neck. I wasn't convinced a dental problem could cause so much
            scratching and thought it might be a food allergy. I stuck her on a
            pretty restricted diet. Whatever it was it's gone now and I've
            started adding additional things in one at a time to see if there's a
            reaction.

            The taurine 250mg twice daily I got from reading Donald Strombeck's
            book on home prepared diets. He mentioned cats with cardiomyopathy
            sometimes get between 250mg and 500mg of taurine twice daily. I'll
            have to look into the Cardiac Support Supplements. I've also heard
            good things about Missing Link, but haven't really looked into that
            either.

            Zellene. It looks like you're now on three of the same kitty problem
            lists that I'm on. Any other cat diseases I should be worried
            about? :-)

            Doug