New member (unfortunately)

  • dlrichter_2
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hello,
      We've recently uncovered a heart problem with one of our cats,
      Ashley. Ashley's an 8 year old Himalayan/Siamese mix. Here's a bit of
      the history of how this was uncovered. Ashley had been scratching a
      lot and so we took her to the vet. The vet mentioned that she needed
      a dental and began all of the prep work for that. She also noticed an
      off and on heart murmur. Ashley's blood work came back saying that
      she had tested positive for exposure to heartworms, but negative for
      adult heartworms. I've read a lot about the limitations of these
      tests. We don't know if she actually has heartworms, but she is on
      Heartguard now. We had an echocardiogram done on her with the doppler
      imaging, etc. The cardiologist did not see any evidence of heartworms
      (he claims he can spot them 80% of the time), but did see a
      thickening of the left ventrical and also a enlargement of the aorta
      right where it comes into the heart. The valve wasn't closing
      completely due to the enlargement of the aorta causing the murmur.
      The thickening of the left ventrical wasn't enough for the
      cardiologist to call it HCM yet, but knowing that this is a
      progressive disease that day may come. Ashley's scheduled for another
      echocardiogram sometime early next year.

      So that's where we're at. Being a proactive person I'd like to
      provide Ahsley with as much suport as possible to stop or at least
      slow down her oncoming problems. I'm already giving her approximately
      10 mg of CoQ10/day. I use Q-Gel brand. I'm also adding about
      500mg/day of taurine to her food. The cats eat Innova, California
      Natural, Felidae, Wysong and Wellness so they should be getting good
      nutritional support. I also add NuCat vitamins to their food, but
      recently stopped thinking Ashley's scratching might be a food
      allergy. What sort of other supplements are people here giving? I'm
      just now starting to research this, but I think I recall something
      about L-Carnitine being useful? Also I've been sawing into the CoQ10
      softgels and squeezing the contents into her food. I've also heard
      mention of a liquid CoQ10. Every CoQ10 softgel I've seen is way to
      big to shove down Ashley. How are people getting coQ10 into their
      cats? Sorry to be long winded, but it's a long story and I have a lot
      of answers to find.

      Doug
    • zellenecats
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hi, Doug! It sounds like you are doing very well by your kitty. I
        think diet is the most important and I also use the premium canned
        foods and sometimes homemade. I give Widgie 30 mgs of COQ10...I
        pierce a gelcap and squeeze it into some baby food meat and finger
        feed. She also gets 10 or 20 IU of E (a couple of drops of liquid E)
        and a fatty acid supplement, plus 250 mgs of taurine. The E and the
        taurine I don't give every single day...maybe 3 or 4 out of 5. She
        also gets 1/5 of a 50 mgs B vitamin complex also maybe 3 times a
        week. Believe it or not, she eats everything mushed up in the baby
        food.

      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          You sound like you have already done a lot of proactive things....Ashley is
          lucky to have such a good cat mom.

          Linda and the boys

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
            Bob is 9yrs old with moderate HCM. He takes 30 mg of COQ10 each
            day, Standard Process's Feline Cardiac Support supplements twice a
            day & 3/4 tsp of Feline The Missing Link in addition to his heart
            meds. Before going to vet, I give him 1 dropper full of Pet Nutri-
            drops for stress. Bob was diagnosed with HCM at the beginning of
            July this year. You sound like an excellent kitty caregiver & your
            kitty's condition may have been much worse without your already fine
            efforts for proper nutrition. Bob's CoQ10 is a softget which I coat
            with saltfree butter before shoving down his throat. I put all of
            Bob's many meds into gel caps & coat the gel cap with butter before
            giving to him. Bob appears very normal - active & happy. L-
            Carnitine is one of the ingredients of Bob's Feline Cardiac Support
            Supplements - he gets 50mg daily. Please feel free to ask any
            questions of this wonderful, supportive group. You may want to
            check out some of the links posted on this site, especially the
            drugdigest interaction. Ashley may be scratching because of
            allergies or supplement interactions. I am certainly not close to
            an expert, but 500mg of taurine seems a lot, since all food
            formulated for felines also contains taurine. I don't know if your
            kitty can overdose on taurine, but it is another point to check.
            Good luck to you & Ashley.

            Lots of Kitty Kisses,
            Myra & Bob

          • dlrichter_2
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
              Thanks for the responses. Ashley's fairly small and quite skittish.
              I'm not sure I want to stress her out too much by chasing her down
              and stuffing a gelcap down her throat. The vet thought her scratching
              might have been due to her teeth problems or from a little bit of cat
              acne she had. The vet shaved her neck and chin. Boy did she look
              stupid and I think she was pretty embaressed by it. She also got a
              course of Clavamox and a triple antibiotic+steroid ointment for her
              neck. I wasn't convinced a dental problem could cause so much
              scratching and thought it might be a food allergy. I stuck her on a
              pretty restricted diet. Whatever it was it's gone now and I've
              started adding additional things in one at a time to see if there's a
              reaction.

              The taurine 250mg twice daily I got from reading Donald Strombeck's
              book on home prepared diets. He mentioned cats with cardiomyopathy
              sometimes get between 250mg and 500mg of taurine twice daily. I'll
              have to look into the Cardiac Support Supplements. I've also heard
              good things about Missing Link, but haven't really looked into that
              either.

              Zellene. It looks like you're now on three of the same kitty problem
              lists that I'm on. Any other cat diseases I should be worried
              about? :-)

              Doug