Heart-Strengthening Herbs/Vitamines?

  • N. LionStorm
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      Gentle folk,

      Is loss of appetite usual in an 8-month old kitten, newly diagnosed
      with #2-intensity heart murmur, typical?

      Samantha-Joy began getting 50mg CoQ10 yesterday. Are there other
      heart strengthening herbs/vitamines?

      May the Creator/Creatress watch over you and your fur-faces.
      - Nancy Lion-Storm, and:
      -- Confidence-on-a-Rainy-Day (17-yr old)
      -- Lucky-To-Be-Alive (12-yr old)
      -- Fortune-Silver-Cloud (6-yr old)
      -- Samantha-Joy-Queen-of-Heaven (8-mo old)
      -- Cassandra-Joy,-Soothsayer-&-Mystic-Seeress (5.5-mo old)
      - Angel cats:
      -- General-Chauncey-Beardsly-Peddleton-the-Third
      -- History-Repeats-Herself
      -- Jasmin-Pretty-Cat
      - Foster Cats/Kittens:
      -- Calliope-Heroic-Muse (Tortie Point)
      -- Echo-Mysterious (Oriental Shorthair)
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
        I wold have to say no....is she getting any other meds??? Some heart meds
        can contribute to some lethargy....

        Linda and the boys

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
          Greetings Nancy LS,

          It may be the Coq10.....50mgs for an 8 mo old kitten is probably a
          reasonable dose eventually, but some people (and I'd assume kitties)
          can get dizzy or nauseus (sp?) when starting on CoQ 10. You might want
          to try starting her out on 10mgs per day for a few days first, then
          after, say, a week, bumping it up to 50 every other day, and 10 on the
          off day for another week and then going to the full 50mgs per day.

          I get quite dizzy when I start using it again (because I'm not
          really good about taking my vites!) or when I stop...

          As for other herbs/vites....

          You may want to investigate Hawthorne extract...it is a very good
          heart tonic herb, but do not self-perscribe it....it is not always
          appropriate in all cases of heart conditions. For just a murmur, with
          no other HCM or whatever, it might be a good choice to try, but talk
          with your vet first.

          Have you had an echo-cardiogram done yet? This is an important
          first step in finding out the cause of the murmur.

          Some studies indicate Taurine is helpful added to the diet. Vites E
          and C are also good as they support the immune system in general.

          Keep us posted...if only so we can read all those fabulous names
          once again! :-)

          Good health to you all!

          Sally and angel Muffin

          --- In feline-heart@y..., "N. LionStorm" <JoyOfSiamese@c...> wrote:
          > Gentle folk,
          >
          > Is loss of appetite usual in an 8-month old kitten, newly diagnosed

          > with #2-intensity heart murmur, typical?
          >
          > Samantha-Joy began getting 50mg CoQ10 yesterday. Are there other
          > heart strengthening herbs/vitamines?
          >
          > May the Creator/Creatress watch over you and your fur-faces.
          > - Nancy Lion-Storm, and:
          > -- Confidence-on-a-Rainy-Day (17-yr old)
          > -- Lucky-To-Be-Alive (12-yr old)
          > -- Fortune-Silver-Cloud (6-yr old)
          > -- Samantha-Joy-Queen-of-Heaven (8-mo old)
          > -- Cassandra-Joy,-Soothsayer-&-Mystic-Seeress (5.5-mo old)
          > - Angel cats:
          > -- General-Chauncey-Beardsly-Peddleton-the-Third
          > -- History-Repeats-Herself
          > -- Jasmin-Pretty-Cat
          > - Foster Cats/Kittens:
          > -- Calliope-Heroic-Muse (Tortie Point)
          > -- Echo-Mysterious (Oriental Shorthair)
        • Cyber-Paws Designs
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2002
            Hi all!

            I could use a little bit of advice, if anyone could help. Wolfy, my cat
            with Tetralogy of Fallot, is on several medications - Lasix, Enacard and
            Spyro -something. LOL. These obviously make him drink a lot and need to
            urinate a lot. I normally keep my litterboxes in the basement.

            Two months ago, my persian cat needed to have eye surgery, so during his
            recovery, I kept him in my bedroom with a baby gate. He will not jump over
            the gate, so it kept him in. I put a small litterbox in my room (and food
            and water of course!). During this time, Wolfy started to jump over the
            baby gate to come into my room, and started to use that litterbox, and
            stopped using the box downstairs alltogether.

            This week my Persian was able to have the cone off of his head and have
            freedom of the entire house again, so I took the litterbox out of my room.
            Wolfy is still going into the place where the litterbox was, and urinating
            there! :( I have picked him up and taken him downstairs several times per
            day to "remind" him. When I catch him in the bedroom, I spray his tushy
            with water with a small water sprayer. I never spray his face since he is
            kinda delicate and I dont want to do anything to scare him due to his heart.

            I have been cleaning the spots with Nature Miracle, and have put a carboard
            box in the spot, but nothing seems to be working. I really do not want to
            leave a litterbox in my bedroom, but I will if I need to. The basement is a
            far walk for Wolfy, so maybe he is just too lazy or tired to go all the way
            across the house, then down a flight of stairs.

            Any advice?

            Also, Wolfy will turn three years old on October 22! I think this is
            terrific since he was only given a year to live when I adopted him as a
            kitten! Never give up and listen to your hearts when it comes to these
            babies, they have a lot of inner strength.

            Thanks in advance for any help,

            Carrie