Oliver/white blood cell count/vomiting

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
      About 1-1/2 years ago, Oliver started having periodic bouts of what seemed
      to be painful, liquid projectile vomiting. These episodes are preceded by
      some very strange-sounding yowling, and the quantities are copious. The vet
      seemed to feel that since nothing had shown up on his X-rays, and his
      appetite was normal, and it wasn't increasing in frequency, it wasn't a
      major problem. When this happens, he vomits brown fluid that has a "meaty"
      smell. He's always been a world-class puker, since he gets into everything.
      He frequently vomits mucus with hair in it. So I don't worry much when he
      pukes. But usually these episodes (about every 3 months or thereabouts) are
      preceded by much lip-licking (which is how I know it's coming), and followed
      by a lot of water consumption and then he's back to his old self -- and
      often wants to eat!

      His most recent such episode was last Sunday night, and it'd been about 2
      months since his last one.

      Does this help?

      Jill

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:47:45 -0400
      > From: "Laura Penny" <lepenny@...>
      >Subject: Re: What could Oliver's elevated white blood cell count be?
      >
      >Jill,
      >
      >Lucky's WBC was high when she was having a bout of IBD. Is Oliver vomiting
      >or does he have diarrhea?
      >
      >Laura

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
        Has Oliver been tested for IBD?

      • brunobaby@accesshub.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2000
          Jill:

          The vomiting sounds like our 16-year-old Pongo (HCM), right down to the
          yodelling sounds beforehand.

          He's always had a sensitive stomach, and now with a dozen pills a day, it's
          even more so. We give him a Pepcid for the nausea -- yet another pill.

          However, it was Pongo's twin sister Phoebe (hyper-t) who had a high white
          cell count a few months ago, and was dropping weight rapidly. The vet
          suspected IBD. He ran some tests. Diagnosis: bad teeth.

          She had some dental work and was fine, back to normal and getting fat as a
          pig, so I guess it's time to have her Tapezol adjusted again.

          Is Oliver due for any dental work?

          Has anyone's HCM cat had dental work and anasthesia and -- dare I say it --
          lived to tell the tale?

          --Melinda