Re: [FH] heart healthy cat snacks.

  • peggy baldwin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- mountainlight101 <mountainlight101@...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > this is my first post. I think its great that there
      > are this many
      > devoted cat lovers who take the time to learn about
      > their cats
      > medical issues. My cat named fat, his brother is
      > skinny, was just
      > diagnoised with cardiomyopathy. He had been limping
      > and I thought
      > that he had injuried a paw. but when it did'nt heal
      > and his back let
      > began to give out I suspected arthiritis or some
      > other joint
      > disease. heart problems never crossed my mind. I
      > only wish I had
      > read the symptoms earlier. Fat is currently taking
      > blood pressure
      > medicine and lasix to reduce the build up of fluid
      > on his lungs. he
      > seems to be responding well and is even becoming
      > very playful again.
      > he brings me his feather, which he like me to move
      > around while he
      > chases it. I have been feeding him a special diet
      > and including
      > concentrated fish oil for his heart. does anyone
      > know of any heart
      > healthy cat treat that I can give him. I have
      > taught him and his
      > brother to come into the house when I call them by
      > rewarding them
      > with treats. but I am reluctant to give fat any old
      > treats. His
      > brother loves the freeZe dried liver, but fat won't
      > eat that. he
      > has always loved the friskies turkey. salt seems to
      > be the lowest
      > ingredient on the list, but i would like to give him
      > something more
      > heathly. Any suggetions?
      >
      > thanks, Jeff.

      Dear Jeff,
      I give my cats little pieces of boiled chicken
      breast the vet said this is okay.
      I have 3 cats withe heart problems Maxie,Peanut
      and Homer.
      My Angel Fred developed heart problems at the age
      of 12 and had to be put to sleep at age 17 because of
      renal failure.With good care they can live a normal
      life.
      Peggy

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • mountainlight101
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In feline-heart@y..., peggy baldwin <chessie92@y...> wrote:

        > --- mountainlight101 <mountainlight101@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > this is my first post. I think its great that there
        > > are this many
        > > devoted cat lovers who take the time to learn about
        > > their cats
        > > medical issues. My cat named fat, his brother is
        > > skinny, was just
        > > diagnoised with cardiomyopathy. He had been limping
        > > and I thought
        > > that he had injuried a paw. but when it did'nt heal
        > > and his back let
        > > began to give out I suspected arthiritis or some
        > > other joint
        > > disease. heart problems never crossed my mind. I
        > > only wish I had
        > > read the symptoms earlier. Fat is currently taking
        > > blood pressure
        > > medicine and lasix to reduce the build up of fluid
        > > on his lungs. he
        > > seems to be responding well and is even becoming
        > > very playful again.
        > > he brings me his feather, which he like me to move
        > > around while he
        > > chases it. I have been feeding him a special diet
        > > and including
        > > concentrated fish oil for his heart. does anyone
        > > know of any heart
        > > healthy cat treat that I can give him. I have
        > > taught him and his
        > > brother to come into the house when I call them by
        > > rewarding them
        > > with treats. but I am reluctant to give fat any old
        > > treats. His
        > > brother loves the freeZe dried liver, but fat won't
        > > eat that. he
        > > has always loved the friskies turkey. salt seems to
        > > be the lowest
        > > ingredient on the list, but i would like to give him
        > > something more
        > > heathly. Any suggetions?
        > >
        > > thanks, Jeff.
        >
        > Dear Jeff,
        > I give my cats little pieces of boiled chicken
        > breast the vet said this is okay.
        > I have 3 cats withe heart problems Maxie,Peanut
        > and Homer.
        > My Angel Fred developed heart problems at the age
        > of 12 and had to be put to sleep at age 17 because of
        > renal failure.With good care they can live a normal
        > life.
        > Peggy
        > >

        > Hi Peggy,

        that is what I am working on is giving fat a good long life. I have
        thought about chicken or bits of fish, however my skinny cat is like
        a feline garbage desposal. It took me a long time to ween him off a
        little treat of canned food now and then. he would meow and cause
        such a ruckus that I had to stop. I don't want those bad habits to
        start again. Although I may have to give it a try as I feel awful
        rewarding skinny for coming in when he is called and not giving fat
        anything. thanks for your help.

        > http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • vandalin1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
          Has your skinny cat been checked for thyroid problems? When a cat has a voracious appetite, but does not gain weight, this is sometimes due to hyperthyroidism. Why do you not want to feed canned food?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
            Pounce now has a vitamin treat. I continue to use
            Pounce and Friskies treats to "call" my cats. I am
            seeing the internal medicine vet on Oct. 14 for a
            follow up and will ask him about diet and treats
            specifically.

            wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > this is my first post. I think its great that there
            > are this many
            > devoted cat lovers who take the time to learn about
            > their cats
            > medical issues. My cat named fat, his brother is
            > skinny, was just
            > diagnoised with cardiomyopathy. He had been limping
            > and I thought
            > that he had injuried a paw. but when it did'nt heal
            > and his back let
            > began to give out I suspected arthiritis or some
            > other joint
            > disease. heart problems never crossed my mind. I
            > only wish I had
            > read the symptoms earlier. Fat is currently taking
            > blood pressure
            > medicine and lasix to reduce the build up of fluid
            > on his lungs. he
            > seems to be responding well and is even becoming
            > very playful again.
            > he brings me his feather, which he like me to move
            > around while he
            > chases it. I have been feeding him a special diet
            > and including
            > concentrated fish oil for his heart. does anyone
            > know of any heart
            > healthy cat treat that I can give him. I have
            > taught him and his
            > brother to come into the house when I call them by
            > rewarding them
            > with treats. but I am reluctant to give fat any old
            > treats. His
            > brother loves the freeZe dried liver, but fat won't
            > eat that. he
            > has always loved the friskies turkey. salt seems to
            > be the lowest
            > ingredient on the list, but i would like to give him
            > something more
            > heathly. Any suggetions?
            >
            > thanks, Jeff.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • mountainlight101
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
              --- In feline-heart@y..., "vandalin1" <vandalin1@c...> wrote:
              > Has your skinny cat been checked for thyroid problems? When a cat
              has a voracious appetite, but does not gain weight, this is sometimes
              due to hyperthyroidism. Why do you not want to feed canned food?

              > Anne V
              > Warner Robins, GA
              > From: mountainlight101
              > I have
              > thought about chicken or bits of fish, however my skinny cat is
              like
              > a feline garbage desposal. It took me a long time to ween him
              off a
              > little treat of canned food now and then. he would meow and
              cause
              > such a ruckus that I had to stop. I don't want those bad habits
              > start again.

              Hi,

              the skinny cat has been checked for thyroid issues. In reality the
              skinny cat is not all that skinny. fat, skinny and thier sister were
              my first kittens that I raised when I was working with a rescue
              group. I raised them from the time they were about 2-3 weeks old. At
              the time we had so many foster cats that names were hard to remember
              so this kittens were called the fat black fluffy kitten, skinny
              black...When I move to a new town I chose fat and skinny to bring
              with me as they had not been adopted. So skinny is not really that
              skinny. I did give them names, but fat and skinny just stuck. I
              don't like to feed skinny canned food because I have to seperate the
              cats if I do. fat is a slow eater while skinny will gobble his down
              and try to eat his brothers food. I found that there is much more
              peace among brothers when they just eat the dry food. they do get
              salmon from time to time, but I have to seperate them.