Note about stopping usage of Atenolol

  • catsrus100@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      If you ever stop atenolol, please don't stop abruptly. I know we're
      given that warning all the time by drs. but there's a reason. I was on
      atenolol for 1 year. Dr. decided to change to another med and we just
      stopped atenolol one day and went on another med the next. By that
      weekend I was in ER having a stroke. For 3 consecutive weeks I was
      making er visits until finally one doctor figured it out and put me
      "back" on atenolol and slowly weaned me off it. No problems since. So
      if, for some reason, you stop atenolol for your cats, wean them off it.
      We don't want to lose one precious kitty life due to vets not giving you
      the right way to stop a medication.

      Thanks for listening to my story.

      Dale A.

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- catsrus100@... wrote:

        Since you have been on Atenolol perhaps you can shed
        some light on what heart disesase feels like. I am
        assuming you took it for your heart and not high blood
        pressure.

        My cat was laying on his sternum several times a day
        with his head below his chest. After being on Atenolol
        for about 10 days he has stopped doing that. What was
        he feeling before Atenolol, angina, pressure, fatique?
        He also seems more active since starting, even though
        he was not noticeably lethargic before.

        Thanks,

        Susan

        http://sbc.yahoo.com